K Computer Makes Your Gaming Rig Look Lazy

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
the spud said:
what practical use does it have?

Does some billionaire REEAAAALLLYYY hate waiting for the page to load?

What?!?
It'll probably be used to do protein folding calculations and/or other such complicated scientific projects. We're still working on that whole human proteome thingy.

However, it's main function is to elongate Japan's 1337 tech dick. That's what most of these technological government projects are designed to do. That's why the United States went to the moon and have subsequently lost our technology to do so once Russia's dick became nonthreatening.

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
mad825 said:
When the cooling for the servers breakdown,watch-out for the IT support wearing Hawaiian T-shirts :D.

Most small and unsophisticated server rooms will result to primitive methods I.E leaving the door open and placing giant fans to prevent the servers from overheating.
Yer I.T support guys are always fun to not be around when they are working.

This isn't a small unsophisticated server room though I am sure the cooling wont lead to some massive meltdown, Japanese are ahead of the curve when it come to stuff like that.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
noolli said:
MercurySteam said:
noolli said:
MercurySteam said:
Think of the cooling. If it were to stop for an hour, every human in the room would be dead.
The cooling is design to stop the processors from overheating and failing, it doesn't make it like an air conditioned room. people don't die from being in a room of broken pieces of computers.
Trust me, I've seen what happens to a CPU when you remove the cooler. But I've heard that when rooms full of super-processors lose power, the secondary cooling system will attempt to draw heat away from the hardware and pump it into the room until the ventilation kicks in again. I don't know much about supercomputers, but the heat that would transfer into the room would be quite deadly.
True I am sure it would get hot, depends on how hot really especially as most modern CPUs will shut down when then approach breaking levels. Regular CPUs like the ones we are likely to be using now will start degrading at around 100c and will not be lethal (unless its on your face). I guess 68,000 would be more lethal if they were to all overheat to like 100c. More likely they would be at around 10c and so like 40-50c would be the breaking limit which isn't lethal just uncomfortable. But if they work on regular temps then yer people would start to die.
With a room of expensive hardware like that, I'm sure the priority would go to the preservation of the computer systems. Either way I would not like to be locked in that room for an hour with no ventilation.

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
MercurySteam said:
With a room of expensive hardware like that, I'm sure the priority would go to the preservation of the computer systems. Either way I would not like to be locked in that room for an hour with no ventilation.
Yer true dat, I would not like to be locked in a room especially one like that as those cooling systems sound like jet engines.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
noolli said:
MercurySteam said:
Yer true dat, I would not like to be locked in a room especially one like that as those cooling systems sound like jet engines.
Haven't they heard of water cooling or Noctua?

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
immovablemover said:
"In layman's terms, that would be 8.162 quadrillion floating point operations per second."

uhm...anyone care to put that in actual Laymans terms? I mean, if you don't expect the layman to know what a petaflop is do you really expect them to know what a floating point operation is?
Just thing that it' simultaneously solving quadrillions of problems like 1.3 * 5.3892748923 ... I think

Ed. said:
immovablemover said:
"In layman's terms, that would be 8.162 quadrillion floating point operations per second."

uhm...anyone care to put that in actual Laymans terms?
a normal calculator is about 10 FLOPS
this thing is about 8.162*10^15 or
8162000000000000 FLOPS
completely missed the point of his question...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
MercurySteam said:
noolli said:
MercurySteam said:
Haven't they heard of water cooling or Noctua?
Probably. Just saying. They probably have. Considering they're watercooling a FREAKING NUCLEAR PLANT atm.

but still, they should consider Thermalright.

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
What do they use such supercomputers for anyway? Mining Bitcoins? The SETI project? Protein Folding problems? Or simply calculating pi? :p

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Annoying Turd said:
What do they use such supercomputers for anyway? Mining Bitcoins? The SETI project? Protein Folding problems? Or simply calculating pi? :p

check out TOP500 to see applications that Supercomputers are running and their hardware. Some are classified.

http://www.top500.org/

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Want to get me some of this! I'm stuck using some american one for my research, takes like 2 months per simulation...

Ilke

Mar 28, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
Damn. How much energy do you think this think would burn through in a day? I'd hate to be paying those bills.
It's almost as if they would need more... nuclear plants.

*badumtish*

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Prince Regent said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
As a country, Japan is known primarily for three things: animated characters with eyes that would make a baby deer jealous, inventive culinary applications for raw fish, and an overriding obsession with the latest and greatest technology.
And tentacles, you forgot the tentacles.
Damn... ninja'd.

TimeLord said:
£10 says it still can't run Crysis on ultra settings and chugs when things get busy!

I'm not saying it ain't a darn impressive machine. But Crysis is trial by fire for a computer.
AND AGAIN!

well, shit. I got nothin funny to say now.
I imagine that the GPU isn't all that hardcore. If it's anything like the homemade, sub 1k home built supercomputer, then it's not designed for a graphics intensive game.

If you put WINE on it and ran Civ 5, I'll bet you'll get trounced though.