Kanye Kills Coinye

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
Okay, this was a stupid idea anyway - just like cryptocurrency in general. I don't like Kanye or anything, but if he didn't take it down, the whole thing would have just crashed and burned.
I doubt the creators expected it to do otherwise. My guess is the only reason they briefly attempted to fight the lawsuit was because they knew it would make Kanye West look even more ridiculous.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
I like how people act as though using someones likeness for the express purpose of making a profit without asking for permission is somehow alright. Kayne was in the right here, not that anyone here will accept that.
This.

These laws are in place for a good reason, even if you yourself don't care. Quit it, guys.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Anyone, celeb or otherwise, would have worked to get this shut down if it were made in their image. Lots of kanye hate here

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
That's just it with celebrities, it goes beyond first world problems. It's like 0st world problems, where they live in a world of such chaos, constant monitoring and image that the range of what they consider "problems" is a black hole of banality, inescapable, infinitely stretching towards complete neurological decay. As a result, I'm not going to acknowledge Kanye West's passing when it happens. Steve Jobs' death meant more to me in hindsight.
Never watch anything on E!(excluding the Soup and/or Chelsea Lately, which make fun of people like Kanye) or MTV. You'll probably want to kill the nearest living thing after five minutes.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Does Kanye West 'hurt his image' every time he opens his mouth? Hardly see how this could do more damage to him then he does to him self....

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
cowardly remained anonymous? No a coward sends an army of lawyers because you don't like a parody of yourself to be used on the internet.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
lacktheknack said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
I like how people act as though using someones likeness for the express purpose of making a profit without asking for permission is somehow alright. Kayne was in the right here, not that anyone here will accept that.
This.

These laws are in place for a good reason, even if you yourself don't care. Quit it, guys.
Yup, because as we all know we have to submit to the all knowing benevolent RIAA and MPAA lobby group laws, lest we descend into a state of 100% piracy. After all, why it's not fair that these celebrities are the only victims of these horrendously offensive things such as "parody" and "satire". It is a much better idea to just remove them from legal protection along with reviews so there won't be good products out there with all bad reviews due to the abundance of hateful consumers on the internet and in newspapers!

Come to think of it, I should be glad that I'm not being sued right now. After all, my name is Lowell, and I'm clearly negatively affecting the image of the store Lowe's brand, due to my lack of a selection of tools and store coverage. It must be true as well, considering many times when my name is brought up, people mention Lowe's. I should go into hiding, considering I was fortunate enough to be born in the land of the free!

General Winter

Sep 13, 2013
Kanye, I'm happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but coinye is one of the best digital currencies of all time.

Seriously though dude, it's not a big deal.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lillowh said:
lacktheknack said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
This.

Yup, because as we all know we have to submit to the all knowing benevolent RIAA and MPAA lobby group laws, lest we descend into a state of 100% piracy. After all, why it's not fair that these celebrities are the only victims of these horrendously offensive things such as "parody" and "satire". It is a much better idea to just remove them from legal protection along with reviews so there won't be good products out there with all bad reviews due to the abundance of hateful consumers on the internet and in newspapers!

Come to think of it, I should be glad that I'm not being sued right now. After all, my name is Lowell, and I'm clearly negatively affecting the image of the store Lowe's brand, due to my lack of a selection of tools and store coverage. It must be true as well, considering many times when my name is brought up, people mention Lowe's. I should go into hiding, considering I was fortunate enough to be born in the land of the free!
It's not parody or satire, it's yanking someone's image and appearance for personal (monetary) gain. You know... lazy greed.

You know that as well as I do. -___-

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Again, Coinye was ripping off Southpark, not Kanye. Kanye isn't in a competitive market so this would just be parody where he is concerned. Southpark, however, they'd have a case. Bitcoin may have had a better case too.

Had Coinye really taken off legitimately then Kanye would have had a likeness case. But this seems like mostly a joke from the beginning.

What is the most hilarious part about this is that Kanye is actually acting like the South Park charicature of himself. He must not be a "gay fish".

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/224089/youre-a-gay-fish

Let me know if that's not actually a legitimate SouthPark site. It looks like the real deal.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What a surprise, who would have thought a person would be against another group of people using his name to make money. I am truly shocked. :)

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
lacktheknack said:
It's not parody or satire, it's yanking someone's image and appearance for personal (monetary) gain. You know... lazy greed.

Yeah, like I said, I don't think something like this is satire or parody in any way. He would have to be an idiot who would have to be way too obsessed with money and appearing masculine for this to be satirical in anyway, which it's clearly not. It looks exactly like Mr. West, seeing as they clearly used an unaltered image his face and his name. Idiots might tell you that beyond a passing use of the "YE" on the end of Coin which is exactly like Kanye West and not any other people with a similar name, but they're completely wrong.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lillowh said:
lacktheknack said:

Yeah, like I said, I don't think something like this is satire or parody in any way. He would have to be an idiot who would have to be way too obsessed with money and appearing masculine for this to be satirical in anyway, which it's clearly not. It looks exactly like Mr. West, seeing as they clearly used an unaltered image his face and his name. Idiots might tell you that beyond a passing use of the "YE" on the end of Coin which is exactly like Kanye West and not any other people with a similar name, but they're completely wrong.
Yes, and to add to your statement that I'm sure most people will likewise confuse with satire (/jk), this also clearly is not a reference to an already well known parody as performed by South Park in which Kanye West's parodic character made love with a fish. *wink to avoid Poe's Law*

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
I really don't see how this kind of stuff is derogatory to Kanye or anybody else for that matter. It's not using a person's likeness for profit, since it's just a mining pool, it doesn't actually profit its hosts significantly. They could have called themselves Coinye, Dogecoin2, Trollcoin or 123Coin for that matter, makes no difference.

They, just like Dogecoin, used something/someone recognisable/funny. That's just what the internet does.

May 29, 2011
Yup, yup, this was not at all a parody based on an episode of South Park, it totally will harm Kaneys pristine image irrevocably.

And by the way, parodies aren't protected under copyright law, right? Like they're completely liable to lawsuits? I think that's how it works.

This completely pointless lawsuit will in no way damage Kanye Wests image a thousand times more then some random joke on the internet, that's for sure.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Valderis said:
Well that didn't last long.

That man just can't take a good joke.
-"I will kill dis joke!"

-"No, Mr. West. You are the joke."

And then Mr. West was a joke.
kiri2tsubasa said:
Diapproval of Kayne doesn't have to mean automatic approval for using someone's likeness for unapproved profits.

(Well, with that said, I don't really disapprove, he's just a bit of an easy target. What I'm getting at is that not just responding by going "Good!" when this is brought up doesn't have to mean that you think that all laws governing likeness and unapproved profits should go.) EDIT.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I guess this was Bound 2 happen sooner than later

So was the site's main draw that it fulfilled the same purpose as Bitcoin but with a silly name? Weak :p

I really wonder how sites like that work to begin with... Ah well, crime doesn't pay