Kanye West Gets Counter Cease-and-Desist from Coinye Creators

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Kanye West Gets Counter Cease-and-Desist from Coinye Creators

The creators of the Bitcoin-style currency say their company name refers not to the rapper but "to a half-man, half-fish hybrid."

The story of cryptocurrency company Coinye is becoming increasingly bizarre with each passing day. Launching on Dec. 7, the company originally <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130992-Bitcoin-Rival-Coinye-West-To-Launch-This-Month>called itself Coinye West and used a coin with the image of a Kanye West lookalike as its logo. To nobody's surprise, the company quickly found itself the target <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131107-Coinye-West-Creators-Get-Cease-And-Desist-From-Rapper>of a cease-and-desist letter from the rapper. The company's response? Fire off a cease-and-desist of their own.

According to Coinye, West and his lawyers have been engaging in scare tactics among the Coinye community, which they say is not infringing on the musician's image with its new logo, the man-fish monster shown at right. In a letter sent to West's attorney, Coinye states that "we make no visual or verbal reference to Kanye West but to a half-man-half-fish hybrid who is wearing sunglasses, again, totally separate from any resemblance to your client." Further, the company has "removed any and all references to your client which we feel could mislead someone in to believing that there is in any way a link between the two," Coinye stated.

Coinye's claims are pretty tough to swallow, and it's hard to feel that they're not just taking some extra shots at West. He and his lawyers definitely aren't joking, though, as they've already warned that they could pursue legal action against anyone who uses the currency. We've sent an email to West's lawyer, Brad Rose, for additional comment.

Source: Ars Technica

Nov 28, 2007
OK, seriously, I don't care what anyone thinks about Kanye West. After this, how can anybody be on the side of Coinye? There's a solid defense, and then there is total bullshit. Saying that the likeness on the coin doesn't have any resemblance to Kanye is fucking bullshit.

Sorry about the swearing. I just hate it when companies try to defend themselves with means flimsier than wet paper towels (and not the Bounty kind), and expect the average person, much less lawyers well-versed in copyright infringement, to buy it.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
This is hilarious!

I really hope Kanye's lawyers try to prove how it does resemble their client, I'd love to see some 'Gay Fish' comments in an official cease and dismiss document.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
OK I'm done I'm just done can we just wipe all the dumb crypto currencies out or something this is beyond stupid and childish.

All of the escapist should face palm at once for this perhaps the combined power will destroy this stupid shit.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The next story is going to be South Park issuing a cease and desist isn't it?

"Your Honour if you look closely at this handsome fish on the coin and then back at me, that is the genius lyricist, you can clearly see the resemblance between me, the voice of a generation, and this gay fish."

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
All publicity is good publicity. Even if it's completely ridiculous.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I've got this entirely original idea for something. I think I'm gonnna call it Stoin Wars. The Joindi's fight against the evil Soith in the heart of Coruscoint.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
thebobmaster said:
OK, seriously, I don't care what anyone thinks about Kanye West. After this, how can anybody be on the side of Coinye? There's a solid defense, and then there is total bullshit. Saying that the likeness on the coin doesn't have any resemblance to Kanye is fucking bullshit.

Sorry about the swearing. I just hate it when companies try to defend themselves with means flimsier than wet paper towels (and not the Bounty kind), and expect the average person, much less lawyers well-versed in copyright infringement, to buy it.
I'm almost positive they are just trolling at this point, the wording in the letter itself seems like a parody of a Cease and Desist.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Someone really needs to take this loser down a peg. I'm really hoping people buy this coinye just to piss him off.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
Alpha Maeko said:
I've got this entirely original idea for something. I think I'm gonnna call it Stoin Wars. The Joindi's fight against the evil Soith in the heart of Coruscoint.
WTT: 25000 Coindoleezas* for 7500 Coruscoins. All legit.

*Officially White House approved. In my own mind.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
"Half-man, half-fish hybrid"

They need to stick that right on the opposite end of the coin.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Well, this seems to be going swimmingly...
Boo! Get off the stage! :)

This is like smacking beehive with a stick, then getting mad at the bees when they come after you. This is getting so insane that I almost wonder if the guys behind this were ever serious in the first place, or just wanted to be trolls from the get-go.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
At this point, Coinye seems to be engaging less in digital currency business and more in high-gauge trolling. With absolutely no stake in this, I think I'm just going to sit back, make some popcorn, and have a good laugh.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
While I know exactly how this will end up (probably), I'm going to watch the show. It may get more bizarre and thus amuse me.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I was explained what this "bitcoin" thing was, thought it was really unnecesary and somehow completely forgot what they were, again. So the lack of interest for this news other than for some laughs is HUGE.
thebobmaster said:

I like this defense because the're pretty much forcing the lawyers into saying that Kanye does look like the fish drawing, which imo is really funny.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, this is hilarious. Next week Kayne's lawyers will respond with "Nuh-uh" and that will be followed by Coinye retorting with "Uh-huh". Honestly, that's half what I would expect from a case of jackasses arguing amongst each other, which this seems to be.

In all seriousness, I would think that Matt and Trey Parker could sue this company. It is a very obvious and blatant reference to a South Park episode. It takes no effort to see the reference they are making. I could see them suing in conjunction with Kayne. And that would be surreal, considering just how much South Park has mocked Kayne.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Cool. It's like tennis, except with rappers.

And fish.

And money.
Okay; so it's nothing like tennis.

Shut up.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
please i am so poor.
can someone send me some dogecoin pleez

i need much currency