Kanye West Gets Counter Cease-and-Desist from Coinye Creators

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh man, I can't WAIT for the song and video that is going to come out of THIS. :D

btw, +1 for West. Coinye are being twats.

IndieForever" post="7.839105.20602296 said:
WTT: 25000 Coindoleezas* for 7500 Coruscoins. All legit.

Best damn thing I've seen all night.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FalloutJack said:
So...a worthless internet money thing is being trounced by an equally-worthless rapper. Hilarious!
And now, a worthless rapper is getting counter-trounced by an equally-worthless internet money thing! Double hilarious!

Where's the goddamn popcorn?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
That counter cease and desist does not sound rock solid. They must trolling Kanye West, stupid or both. Trolling in real life is not usually best plan if can result in a loss of money.
While the "currency" coinye is worthless at least caused something mildly amusing and this response is will only result in something more amusing.
in related news to this "half-man-half-fish hybrid" here is a song from south park

thebobmaster said:
I highly doubt this "currency" is trying to be serious. It just looks like an attempt mess with Kanye West. No logical company would respond the way they did if they were a serious.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
FalloutJack said:
So...a worthless internet money thing is being trounced by an equally-worthless rapper. Hilarious!
And now, a worthless rapper is getting counter-trounced by an equally-worthless internet money thing! Double hilarious!

*hands bag of popcorn*
So how long until Kanye goes on TV or something and starts throwing a hissy fit. In all reality this just makes me laugh so much because of how I can see this going back and forth like a elementary school fight for a while. :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Neronium said:
FalloutJack said:
FalloutJack said:

*hands bag of popcorn*
So how long until Kanye goes on TV or something and starts throwing a hissy fit. In all reality this just makes me laugh so much because of how I can see this going back and forth like a elementary school fight for a while. :D
I give it 'till Wednesday.

SnakeoilSage said:
George Bush doesn't like Black Lagoon people.
And that just invoked an image of him being hunted by a group of anime characters. Life is strange!

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
thebobmaster said:
OK, seriously, I don't care what anyone thinks about Kanye West. After this, how can anybody be on the side of Coinye? There's a solid defense, and then there is total bullshit. Saying that the likeness on the coin doesn't have any resemblance to Kanye is fucking bullshit.

Sorry about the swearing. I just hate it when companies try to defend themselves with means flimsier than wet paper towels (and not the Bounty kind), and expect the average person, much less lawyers well-versed in copyright infringement, to buy it.
What company? There is no company here, just a kid with a crypto-currency and an anonymous email address.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
thebobmaster said:
OK, seriously, I don't care what anyone thinks about Kanye West. After this, how can anybody be on the side of Coinye?
Well, there's this: "[Kanye West] and his lawyers definitely aren't joking, though, as they've already warned that they could pursue legal action against anyone who uses the currency."

Coinye is pretty much writing a written request to be sued, but threatening to sue anyone who uses the currency strikes me as bullying. It would be like Apple trying to sue people for using Samsung smartphones; or Samsung suing users of iPhones, if you'd prefer.

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
This is hilarious! I hope they keep it up, and don't get sued to hell and shut down too quickly. And I think South Park is definitely going to do an episode on this topic soon. Between Bitcoins, Doge Coins, and now this, there are ample opportunities for comedy.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Such thread. So hate. Wow.

I cannot understand how (half of these) people are so annoyed about this. Kanye West, whose music I like but who is somewhat of a prick at other times, and who is rich and successful as fuck, is issuing a cease and desist against a joke cryptocurrency that could just as easily have made any other pun and which does not detract from his image in the slightest, and they are trolling the fuck out of his lawyers.

What about that inspires rage and is in any way not HILARIOUS?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Oh man that is like that South Park episode, only in real.
The Comedian was right, the world has become it's own parody.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Saltyk said:
Okay, this is hilarious. Next week Kayne's lawyers will respond with "Nuh-uh" and that will be followed by Coinye retorting with "Uh-huh". Honestly, that's half what I would expect from a case of jackasses arguing amongst each other, which this seems to be.

In all seriousness, I would think that Matt and Trey Parker could sue this company. It is a very obvious and blatant reference to a South Park episode. It takes no effort to see the reference they are making. I could see them suing in conjunction with Kayne. And that would be surreal, considering just how much South Park has mocked Kayne.
They probably could, but I doubt that they would. This seems like the kind of thing that Trey Parker and Matt Stone would appreciate, especially if West's lawyers do end up admitting that yeah, he does look kind of like a gay fish.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
That picture. His face. His fucking, face. I'm tearing up and my sides are shriveled. Great thread OP, thank you for bringing this to my knowledge. To hell with Kanye, one of the worst leaches in the entertainment industry and an awful model of a human being. Good on Coinye for standing up to that sad sack.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
thebobmaster said:
OK, seriously, I don't care what anyone thinks about Kanye West. After this, how can anybody be on the side of Coinye? There's a solid defense, and then there is total bullshit. Saying that the likeness on the coin doesn't have any resemblance to Kanye is fucking bullshit.

Sorry about the swearing. I just hate it when companies try to defend themselves with means flimsier than wet paper towels (and not the Bounty kind), and expect the average person, much less lawyers well-versed in copyright infringement, to buy it.
Hah, this "may" be defensible as parody as it doesn't appear to compete with Kanye in any of his current businesses. It'd be like southpark depicting Kanye in their show. If Kanye had a cartoon show about himself then Southpark may be going into some murky legal grounds by portraying him. But it's generally fair use as parody in these ways unless it hurts the company by stealing sales.

For example, The South Butt tried the parody defense, but since they actually sold clothes it was in direct competition and clearly a rip off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_South_Butt

Frankly, I think Southpark has a better case against Coinye than Kanye does. They're ripping of South Park, not him.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, don't try to 'troll' in real life, or you'll find out just how real the flames can get, and just how much they can burn.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Such thread. So hate. Wow.

I cannot understand how (half of these) people are so annoyed about this. Kanye West, whose music I like but who is somewhat of a prick at other times, and who is rich and successful as fuck, is issuing a cease and desist against a joke cryptocurrency that could just as easily have made any other pun and which does not detract from his image in the slightest, and they are trolling the fuck out of his lawyers.

What about that inspires rage and is in any way not HILARIOUS?
Streisand effect. I didn't even know Conye was a thing until this news article. Now some more people might flock to it just to make fun of a guy. If this had never happened, Coinye would have just lived on being unknown.