Keanu Reeves Negotiating for Lead Role in Akira

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
King Crab said:
at this point it doesn't even matter. go on, get justin bieber as tetsuo and just be done with it.
My thoughts exactly... At this point, I just don't give a crap about any of those movies.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
I wonder if I would be called racist for pointing out hes not japanese, or agist for pointing out hes 20 years too old..
You know what I hate to say this but I hope this project fails because it seems more likely that this will be badly done than anything else...
And no one wants a badly done (or changed to the point it isn't akira anymore) live action akira

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Just try to imagine Reeves yelling: "Tetsuuooooooo!"
I can't. Wonna know why? Because Keanu Reeves has the emotional acting of a piece of wood.

This movie will suck. I can tell you this right now, without a doubt, at 100% certainty. It. Will. Suck. I'm not even that big of a fan of Akira, and I just know this is going to destroy it beyond all recognition.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
... no... words...

<youtube=8l1sgfLmC1Y&NR>

Thank you for summing that up, Fluttershy.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
When will hollywood learn that there are some things that can't be made into good live-action movies. Sure, sometimes it happens, like Lord of the Rings and, uh, um, let me get back to you on that point. Anyway, the reason is, to get enough sfx money to do something like sci-fi manga/anime right, it has to be a big-budget hollywood production, which means to big stars and big producers to go along with it. Studio's gotta get paid, so they squish the plot and characters around so that it ticks all the "sure hit" boxes on their checklist, and we lose all the subtlety and uniqueness of the stories.

So, based on this reasoning, here is my partial list of things that can't be made into movies (some already mentioned):

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Snowcrash
Neuromancer
Sandman
etc.

Oh, and any video game with a good narrative, but the "Extra Credit" guys have covered that territory pretty well.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Zing said:
I've never read/watched that anime. But unless the character is an emotionless wooden plank, Reeves is bad for the part.
Kaneda is about the opposite extreme of Keanu Reeves as far as facial and body expression is concerned.

The irony of this casting is so massive even hipsters would not enjoy it.