Keanu Reeves Turns Down Akira Movie

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Well that's some good in the world. Hopefully the whole damn movie will be canceled. Still have mixed feelings about the Cowboy Bebop film though

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Hey guys... AKIRA LIVE ACTION IN 3-D
D: they are goign to do that guys you heard me...
If they do the mutated giant baby part right though it makes it all up to just see the audiences face.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Good, kill it. I love the manga and the film, but we don't need a live-action version of it, especially a Westernized one.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I think this was meant to be doomed. The only live action based of a manga that was decent in my opinion was Death Note. I'm also a bit afraid that the fanbase for this type of film is a tad too small for such a "huge project".
I just hope they won't turn this into a The last Airbender II, which I fear will be the case.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The power of thousands of nerds will not be ignored! We shut down the Spiderman musical with the power of our minds and neither will we stand for this!

Formica Archonis said:
RobfromtheGulag said:
As long as he's still on-board for the Cowboy Bebop live action.
Hmmm. Could we get his voice dubbed over by someone who can act? It'll add to the anime-ish experience AND hopefully improve the performance...!

(I'm sorry, couldn't resist.)
How dare you make fun of pffft XD

teh_v

Jun 29, 2008
SenorNemo said:
Still though, why is Akira getting the fast track when it's suited best to animation, while Cowboy BeBop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both still stuck in the hey-guys-could-you-spare-a-few-million stage when they have the potential to equal or even surpass the original?
Sorry I don't think Eva would be good fit for a live action. It's got that surreal existential vibe that I don't think would translate well to live action. Plus the action would be mostly CGI crap. Also if they tried to fit the plot all into one move so much would get cut out the movie would just be so big giant mecha vs monster movie. Also, God know how much of the original artist integrity would be saved. Could you imagine the plot of Eva in a the hands of soulless business execs. I shudder.

Cowboy bebob could be done. It's got a simpleish plot that is very universe about done and out bounty hunters in space (don't get me wrong its still a great plot) and that's easy to translate into any medium. You could do the whole thing with little CGI and with the right actor you could bring out the personalities Spike and Jet.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Take as long as you need, production crew. The last thing we need is anything like this:

It also gives me time to actually read Akira... I really should one of these days...

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
An Akira remake? They'd better not fuck this up, if I was decisive enought to have a favorite movie... okay, it wouldn't probably be my favorite, but it would be in the top five.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
How can Keanu Reeves turning down this role be considered a bad thing? Granted, it's still going to suck, but at least it won't be Wooden Spoon suck.
But... there is no wooden spoon... Anyone? Myeh. Anyway, I feel that Keanu made the right move there. I don't believe it's really gonna work out. Like, at all.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
1 down, 2 to go.

Now all he needs to do is turn down Bill & Ted 3 and Cowboy Bebop and the universe will put back into order.

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
teh_v said:
SenorNemo said:
Still though, why is Akira getting the fast track when it's suited best to animation, while Cowboy BeBop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both still stuck in the hey-guys-could-you-spare-a-few-million stage when they have the potential to equal or even surpass the original?
Sorry I don't think Eva would be good fit for a live action. It's got that surreal existential vibe that I don't think would translate well to live action. Plus the action would be mostly CGI crap. Also if they tried to fit the plot all into one move so much would get cut out the movie would just be so big giant mecha vs monster movie. Also, God know how much of the original artist integrity would be saved. Could you imagine the plot of Eva in a the hands of soulless business execs. I shudder.

Cowboy bebob could be done. It's got a simpleish plot that is very universe about done and out bounty hunters in space (don't get me wrong its still a great plot) and that's easy to translate into any medium. You could do the whole thing with little CGI and with the right actor you could bring out the personalities Spike and Jet.
Heh, no need to apologize. Here's the reason I said that: the core of Eva is its characters. Eva is, though set on the backdrop of a giant mech show, a character study. The story we're interested in is the one of Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Misato, their interrelations, and their ways of dealing with life's problems through the metaphor of piloting the Eva units. Now, in my opinion, the anime did this very artfully. However, animation as a medium has one big disadvantage: no matter the skill of the voice actor, an animation can never deliver the subtitles of a live actor. The fact that Eva managed to succeed so brilliantly despite this disadvantage is almost incredible. For this reason, a live action Eva film (if done right) could even surpass the original in this regard.

As for the fights, they did play very well to animation's big strength: depicting the surreal in a believable way. This is no small feat to overcome, and if handled poorly, could easily end up as you said it might. However, I believe that with proper use and a good effects house behind the film (which, as a matter of fact, happens to be the case, since it was WETA Workshops that first spearheaded the idea), modern CG would be capable of depicting the fights in a way that wouldn't devolve into the sort of crap we're used to.

Of course, there is the issue that a lot of the cinematic techniques used in the animé might not work at all in live action. How to handle things like Asuka's mind-rape scene would be up to the skill of the director. I have a few pet ideas of my own of how to pull it off, but then again, I've never made anything longer than a three minute political ad.

Length is a problem though. I don't think it could be done (well) in one movie, but a trilogy could work. After all, if the whole of the Lord of the Rings could be squeezed into three movies, I'm thinking a 26 (+2) episode anime is doable. The writer and director would have to cut a good deal of the material, and utilize every single moment for characterization, but hopefully that'd make for a clearer plot anyway.

But anyway, that's just my thoughts.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
Even Keanu thinks it's a bad idea and he starred in that terrible The Day the Earth Stood Still remake. Warner Bros should take the hint.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
AbstractStream said:
What? No! Let him turn down the Cowboy Bebop movie too! For the love of God!
(As for the post above, agreed.)
I think we should start a charity to him not to accept any movie that could potentially be good.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
It doesn't matter, none of this matters. I've lost all faith in Hollywood being able to adapt animes into movies since Dragon Ball: Evolution. Lest we forget, "The kameha-meha is an airbending technique."

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Azhrarn-101 said:
If only they didn't try to Americanise the whole thing.
Japanese Culture as represented in that film is so vital to the story.
Apparently they moved the setting to New York. Only it is still called Tokyo. So now they have to come up with some convoluted reason for why New York City got a name change and a completely new skyline instead of just setting the damn thing in Japan.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
In related news, Keanu Reeves has internet access and a sense of self-preservation.
Is there anyone who doesn't work for WB who is excited about the idea of remaking Akira? Anyone?
[sub]Anyone at all?[/sub]

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I'm basically always down for any Keanu Reeves movie, and considering how bad the Akira movie sounds that was literally the only reason I would ever have watched it. Unless they get another hilarious idea like having Ted star in an anime movie, I think you can color me uninterested.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Im excited for the fact Keanu Reeves isnt going to be playing in it, however Id be more pleased if I knew it wasn't going to be created at all. also apparently its not supposed to have the same storyline as the movie/manga. /sigh

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I like Keanu. You ever see A Scanner Darkly? He was actually pretty god damn good in that movie.

Apparently he's a decent guy in real life. Bought the entire key grip crew breakfast every morning on the set of Point Break