Ken Levine on BioShock Infinite's Bro-Tastic Cover Art

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
So by his logic Infinite is about a man with a shotgun who travels around in a blimp burning flags?

I mean that's what the average frat guy would think from looking at the cover, right?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Alandoril said:
So by his logic Infinite is about a man with a shotgun who travels around in a blimp burning flags?

I mean that's what the average frat guy would think from looking at the cover, right?
I think the idea is that people will look at the cover, pick up the game box and want to know more about it. Not that they'd go and buy the game based upon the cover alone.

It's still a flawed argument considering that you are not going to convince the type of person who thinks that COD is the epitome of gaming that Bioshock is worth their time. Obviously COD fans may also like it, but the stereotypical player isn't likely to.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
First of all, I must say I'm disgusted by the behavior in here about casual gamers, or "booze guzzing fratboy dudebros". It's fucking disgraceful. Is this some kind of nerd revenge, railing against the "jocks" and "preps" who made fun of them in high school or something? There is nothing wrong with making games that are not for "hardcore games" like CoD. People who don't spend all their time on internet forums jacking off to artsy games have the right to enjoy games too. I can understand not enjoying the "dumbing down" of games, but that's the fault of publishers believing people don't enjoy challenging or different types of games (despite games like Dragon Age and X-com showing otherwise), not the people playing them. And as someone who spent time in a fraternity in my college days, I find the idea that all people in fraternities are beer guzzling idiots as ridiculous as the idea that all gamers are acne ridden virgin fatties. Yes, many of them liked CoD and Madden. They are easy social games for people with school and work to worry about. We could just sit down and play some split screen. However, beyond those we had guys playing Dragon Age, Starcraft, Smash Bros, Mass Effect, and even Pokemon. Would you call those guys "dudebro idiot gamers"? You guys need to grow up.

In any case, I have no problem with the cover. It shows the main character, shows a burning flag, and there's a zeppelin. The character's attire and weapon show the game's time period and style. It's honestly not that different from the original Bioshock. A signature character in the center taking up most of the space, with the environment and period/stylistic attire. In that case, dingy watery metal environment and a diving suit. The only real difference here is that it's a white guy with a gun, which obviously makes it the devil. Honestly, people are overreacting over nothing. The cover is really nothing outside of maybe grabbing attention. When I buy physical copies of games I couldn't care less what the cover looks like.I have had several games with the generic Gamestop cover. People are just looking to complain and rail against "dudebros".