Kentaro Miura, creator of Berserk, has died at 54

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Well... ffffffuuuuuuucccckkkk.

For those unable to read japanese (like me) Kentaro Miura, creator of one of the most acclaimed, long-running and influential mangas of all time, Berserk, has died of aortic dissection at 54 years old.

It was always a meme with how glacial the release schedule of Berserk was, but now I'm genuinely worried about the future of the manga. Obviously Miura's had a team backing him for years, and will definitely (GOD I FUCKING HOPE SO) have left scripts and outlines of the story for them to read. But with the vision of Miura now being exclusively posthumous, everything is up in the air. The possibility that we will never get to see the end of the manga just became massively more likely.

RIP man. Gone too soon, but at least he got to see his work appreciated and celebrated worldwide and left a legacy that will far outlast most of us.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Well... ffffffuuuuuuucccckkkk.

For those unable to read japanese (like me) Kentaro Miura, creator of one of the most acclaimed, long-running and influential mangas of all time, Berserk, has died of aortic dissection at 54 years old.

It was always a meme with how glacial the release schedule of Berserk was, but now I'm genuinely worried about the future of the manga. Obviously Miura's had a team backing him for years, and will definitely (GOD I FUCKING HOPE SO) have left scripts and outlines of the story for them to read. But with the vision of Miura now being exclusively posthumous, everything is up in the air. The possibility that we will never get to see the end of the manga just became massively more likely.

RIP man. Gone too soon, but at least he got to see his work appreciated worldwide and left a legacy that will far outlast most of us.
I knew about the glacial release pace(I mean, there's been like 3 different anime adaptations over 30 years and he still hasn't finished the Manga yet) but never thought he's die before he finished(Someone keep an eye on GRR Martin). I can only hope it's able to be finished, because right now I'm getting flashbacks of the first Anime that ended on the biggest cliffhanger ever, though I have no idea if the manga close to done or in a similar place.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Well, that sucks. Yeah, I know the joke. "Berserk will suffer from Author Existence Failure before being finished,". But you never really expect it to actually happen, do you? Looked up aortic dissection. Not the most pleasant way to go. Strenght and best wishes for his family and loved ones. Also, rip and thanks for the good times, Miura-sensei.

I don't really expect his assistants to take over and finish the series, but some kind of appropriate send-off would be nice.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Damn that sucks. He was such an influential figure. The manga, espescially in it's prime, was such a labor of love. You could see the passion on every page. He created the best dark fantasy story ever and his legend will live on.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think it was pretty clear he didn't care much for finishing this behemonth anymore, and I hope he lived out his final years not stressing himself out too much over it. He created something truly amazing, but after 20+ years the passion he had for it left him and I can't blame him.

Here's to a phenomenal artist and storyteller.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's sad, and unexpected. This one of the reasons why I tend to not go for overly long anime/manga that never ends or don't know when to end. You don't know what's going to happen to creators, writers, voice actors, etc. Reminds me of when the creator and artist of Highschool of the Dead passed in 2015 unexpectedly. That manga has a back up artist, but even he's seems to not want to finish the guys work and feels his time is spent better elsewhere than HOTD.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well, call this guy Nostradamus because I remember someone said and believed that the author of Berserk will die before he finishes his Manga.

Think it was a youtube video

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, call this guy Nostradamus because I remember someone said and believed that the author of Berserk will die before he finishes his Manga.

Think it was a youtube video
Oh, he no doubt was not the first to say it. Fans have been fearing this for a long time, probably from around the time when months long stretches betwen chapter releases started becoming common, which iirc was around the mid to late 00's.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think it was pretty clear he didn't care much for finishing this behemonth anymore, and I hope he lived out his final years not stressing himself out too much over it. He created something truly amazing, but after 20+ years the passion he had for it left him and I can't blame him.

Here's to a phenomenal artist and storyteller.
Given that he died due to an affliction caused by high stress, I don't think he was uninterested or taking it easy.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Dark Knight players line the streets of Ul'Dah in FFXIV to pay their respects.

I never cared for Berserk, myself. Still, shame it'll never be finished now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Given that he died due to an affliction caused by high stress, I don't think he was uninterested or taking it easy.
This doesn't seem unusual for people working in the manga/anime industry. I think the guy who directed Whisper of the Heart and the creator of the High School of the Dead manga died of stress too.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
This doesn't seem unusual for people working in the manga/anime industry. I think the guy who directed Whisper of the Heart and the creator of the High School of the Dead manga died of stress too.
Whisper of the Heart's director Yoshifumi Kondo died of an aortic dissection like Miura. Hiromi Tsuru, the original voice of Bulma in Dragonball Z, also died of an aortic dissection. Aortic dissection has many risk factors, but one of them is high blood pressure, which itself has multiple associated causes including stress and depression. Daisuke Satō, the creator of Highschool of the Dead, died of heart disease. (Which can be caused or exacerbated by stress)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yeah this is my favorite manga so super tragic alright. I kinda expected it to not ever end with the way it was going so slowly for so many years but it feels different to have it be set in stone. And I kinda don't want the team to continue the story with left-over notes, I think it should just stop in chapter 363 unifnished. It kinda fits berserk to meet a dark end with everything up in the air after all. I mean, who even really expected a happy ending after everything that happened.