Kerbal Space Program Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

Oct 15, 2015
Aerosteam said:
Aw fuck, I hope they got a royalty deal, instead of being paid upfront.

The writer of The Witcher novels gets 0% of the money earned from the games because he was a massive idiot and wanted to be paid a single sum years ago. I'll assume the devs didn't make the same mistake.
More like he wanted a lump sum so he can't be sued for the blatant plagiarism involved in the story, and have the royalties/residuals taken from him.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
HomuraDidNothinWrong said:
Aerosteam said:
Aw fuck, I hope they got a royalty deal, instead of being paid upfront.

The writer of The Witcher novels gets 0% of the money earned from the games because he was a massive idiot and wanted to be paid a single sum years ago. I'll assume the devs didn't make the same mistake.
More like he wanted a lump sum so he can't be sued for the blatant plagiarism involved in the story, and have the royalties/residuals taken from him.
You sure? I think it's more of a "old man yells at cloud" situation with the author, since he's so vocal about disparaging video games and even said The Witcher games are only popular because of the books, while also saying they have lost him book sales. Because of that, when CDPR approached him about making a video game, he had no confidence whatsoever that it would make money and thought that the possible royalties would be worthless, thus he took money on the spot.

I just find that more believable than being afraid of getting sued.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
pookie101 said:
Fulbert said:
So there you have it. Kind of the gist of what's going on with the KSP and Squad and what might be the source of some fans' frustration.
ah thanks for the info.. wow that is shitty
I have a feeling now that I must've been unfair to Squad and especially the new devs. The communication situation has improved very much lately, for one thing. And personally I find the new DLC quite promising. It will include features that probably couldn't be modded in, like the Mission Editor which allows players to create and edit custom missions and challenges and share them with the community. Challenges are already immensely popular both at the KSP official forum and at the game's reddit but the way they are handled now is someone writes a post listing conditions for the challenge, and then others try to beat it, record it and post the proofs. The ability to create challenges from within the game, share it with the community, and have the game actually acknowledge it is, in my opinion, a feature the players will certainly find very welcome.

And other than that, there will be a customised 'historical' mission pack that will recreate the most important and challenging missions from the history of the Soviet and American space programs. The missions will include special parts and assets made after such vessels as the Apollo and Vostok spacecraft, and I believe these assets will be available for the main game mode as well.

Oh, and the new dev team has decided to honour the original devs' commitment to deliver all the content, included the paid DLC, for free to all the customers who have purchased the game before a certain date. They reconfirmed that after the news of the Take-2 partnership.

So not all that bad, in my opinion:)

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Well, after the last news, I switched to the pessimistic side.