Kick Ass - what did people think? (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
In case you somehow managed to miss it in the title, this thread will contain huge spoilers for Kick Ass. So stop reading if you have yet to see it.

Personally I am blown away. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny, dark, violent and tragic all together.

I was disappointed they killed off Big Daddy, I didn't feel the movie needed it and we could have got to know his character a bit better. I mean he was a tragic enough character anyway, as was Hit Girl, the death (and the manner it happened) was just a bit too much.

But wow, what a movie... the two scenes that took my breath away were Hit Girl + Strobe Light + Sunshine music, and Big Daddy + Warehouse battle + Godspeed You Black Emperor.

EDIT: It was John Murphy, not Godspeed. thanks for pointing that out, I got it mixed up due to a certain zombie movie...

What did people think of it?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Furburt said:
Well, I wasn't expecting it to be as violent as it was, but damn it, it was fun as hell and a nice affront to good taste. Very well directed too.

Incidentally, the Daily Mail's article tearing into it is hilarious. I'll try and find it.
Please do, they're always good for a laugh.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
I only saw it on Tuesday, it really was not what I was expecting.

Bloody marvelous.

The bit when Hit Girl slices that guys leg off made us crease.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Kick Ass is KICK ASS!
Seriously the only film i've seen that makes a jet pack even more awesome.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I thought the movie was was pretty Kick Ass *badum tsch!*

sorry, that was terrible. EDIT: and I've been beaten to it, goddamnit.

But I did enjoy the movie. I didn't go in with high expectations, mainly because Nicholas Cage was in it but he turned out the be one of the best characters.

Without sounding to gushy, all the characters appeared well rounded and perfectly believable (for a super hero movie of course)and it was clear that everyone involved in it's production were big fans of the super hero culture; the writing, acting, visuals were all spot on and excellent.

My favourite scene was at the beginning with Hit Girl getting shot by her dad, my mind was all over the place during that bit, totally unexpected.

I'll be quiet now.

Aug 25, 2009
I gotta say I went in expecting a fairly funny superhero mock up, what I got was probably the biggest suprise I had in the cinema since Phantom Menace. The whole thing was perfectly paced, funny as hell, great action and likeable characters (even the villans).

You probably all already know how good it is, but I just want to say I thought the soundtrack was one of the best and most effective I've ever heard. John Murphy FTW!

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I agree with OP, I was expecting light-hearted comedy throughout but was actually delighted when it had so much violence and drama as well. It was just an incredible film, loved every minute of it

Aug 25, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
In case you somehow managed to miss it in the title, this thread will contain huge spoilers for Kick Ass. So stop reading if you have yet to see it.

Personally I am blown away. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny, dark, violent and tragic all together.

I was disappointed they killed off Big Daddy, I didn't feel the movie needed it and we could have got to know his character a bit better. I mean he was a tragic enough character anyway, as was Hit Girl, the death (and the manner it happened) was just a bit too much.

But wow, what a movie... the two scenes that took my breath away were Hit Girl + Strobe Light + Sunshine music, and Big Daddy + Warehouse battle + Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Best two scenes in the movie for me as well, but was that Godspeed You Black Emperor, I coulda sworn it was In a Heartbeat, by John Murphy, they sound a lot alike. I'll definetly be watchin it again so I'll keep a close ear out for it.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
whiskey rock n said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Best two scenes in the movie for me as well, but was that Godspeed You Black Emperor, I coulda sworn it was In a Heartbeat, by John Murphy, they sound a lot alike. I'll definetly be watchin it again so I'll keep a close ear out for it.
Maybe I got the music wrong... it sounded just like the music in 28 Weeks Later? Which I thought was Godspeed.. or maybe that was in the first one...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Am I the only one who didn't really like it? Personally its one of those films that you could probably have on in the background while I was doing something else.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
whiskey rock n said:
I had this same argument with my friend. It's East Hastings your all thinking of that's in the opening scene of 28 days later. The other one which is the "main" theme of 28 days and 28 weeks later:
The scenes in which they are played are the highlights of both those movies.
Dark, fucked up and hopeless

I nearly punched my mate when he said that the music in the lobby scene was "Tarentinoey" I am a huge fan of the For a Few Dollers more and it fit perfectly.

I think Kick Ass was a great movie if a little unbalanced between comedy and serious drama but grade A entertainment. The last line of the movie from Red Mist won me over because I knew you HAD to be a proper nerd to get it

"Wait till they get a load of me" Come on you all know it.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Furburt said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1262948/Kick-Ass-Dont-fooled-hype--This-crime-cinema-twisted-cynical-revels-abuse-childhood.html

Once again, the Daily Mail proves their ability to link absolutely anything to paedophilia, knife crime and Jamie Bolger. Paranoid rubbish, but hilarious.

I love the verdict they give it. "Verdict: Evil"
Ha... I bet the whole team had a party when they heard about this movie. What better subject matter for them to spew bile about!

They must laugh thier asses off writing those reviews.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
[The last line of the movie from Red Mist won me over because I knew you HAD to be a proper nerd to get it.
I dunno... Tim Burton kinda mainstreamed that line with Jack Nicholson.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Lono Shrugged said:
[The last line of the movie from Red Mist won me over because I knew you HAD to be a proper nerd to get it.
Let's be honest though, 1 line from a 20 year old movie. It's not exactly Shrek talking about Justin Timberlake in terms of pop culture. It was a nice touch I thought.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Let's be honest though, 1 line from a 20 year old movie. It's not exactly Shrek talking about Justin Timberlake in terms of pop culture. It was a nice touch I thought.
Oh I agree... it was a very nice touch. (and I do love Tim Burton's Batman)

As for that piece of music... just listened again, blows me away every time. I'll never forget that scene where Robert Carlisle is getting chased and it swells up like an electrical storm... powerful stuff.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
As for that piece of music... just listened again, blows me away every time. I'll never forget that scene where Robert Carlisle is getting chased and it swells up like an electrical storm... powerful stuff.

When they are coming down the hill and it REALLY kicks in and the audience goes "FUCK".

god I am such a geek :(

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
MiracleOfSound said:

When they are coming down the hill and it REALLY kicks in and the audience goes "FUCK".

god I am such a geek :(
You say that like it's a bad thing??? :p

I like when people appreciate the work put into those kind of movie scenes, how the music and visuals work together... best example I can think of is the climactic sequence in Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine'.

Sweet Jesus what a fucking masterpiece... makes me well up just hearing it

EDIT:

Holy shit, it's the same guy did the music. Wierd

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Furburt said:
I like when people appreciate the work put into those kind of movie scenes, how the music and visuals work together... best example I can think of is the climactic sequence in Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine'.

Danny Boyle was always good at that.

It's too bad Slumdog Millionare was so pathetic.
MiracleOfSound said:
Ha... I bet the whole team had a party when they heard about this movie. What better subject matter for them to spew bile about!

They must laugh thier asses off writing those reviews.
Aye, I don't think it's possible that the Daily Mail can be serious with those editorials, they're just too out there. What I'm worried about is that the Daily Mail is actually read by people. Probably the same kind of paranoid delusionals who put electronic tags on their children so they don't get abducted.
Haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, not sure I want to.

And yeah, you know there are going to be idiots who read those reviews and take them at face value... but hey, anything to act as a scapegoat for the fact that they should never have been parents or been allowed to breed in the first place...