Install AntiVir
Install Spybot S&D
get Opera (da best!)
get all of you music loaded
Install Foobar2000 or WinAmp
get OpenOffice or Office
Install Steam
Install Daemon Tools Lite
Install uTorrent (*cough* if you need it *cough*)
now go and get some games from steam or your local store!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
akmarksman said:
How much RAM does your system have? If you can upgrade that first before you do video editing..

Are there 64-bit versions of the video editor that you use? If you are running a dual or quad core computer,then find the 64-bit versions,you'll notice a definite increase in speed.
I've got 4GB of RAM and XP Home 32-Bit. I'm holding out until Windows 7 64-Bit at the moment.
j0z said:
Install AntiVir
Install Spybot S&D
get Opera (da best!)
get all of you music loaded
Install Foobar2000 or WinAmp
get OpenOffice or Office
Install Steam
Install Daemon Tools Lite
Install uTorrent (*cough* if you need it *cough*)
now go and get some games from steam or your local store!
I don't think I'll be needing uTorrent, but thanks.

By the way, what's Daemon Tools Lite?

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
akmarksman said:
How much RAM does your system have? If you can upgrade that first before you do video editing..

Are there 64-bit versions of the video editor that you use? If you are running a dual or quad core computer,then find the 64-bit versions,you'll notice a definite increase in speed.
I've got 4GB of RAM and XP Home 32-Bit. I'm holding out until Windows 7 64-Bit at the moment.
j0z said:
I don't think I'll be needing uTorrent, but thanks.

By the way, what's Daemon Tools Lite?
It is a program that allows you to create/mount disc images. Handy for games that require the disc in the drive but you to lazy to change them. Doesn't work with securRom though :(
Lite is the free version of it, has 4 virtual DVD drives.
Also handy to mount images from the internet, like setup dvd for MS VStudio Express Edition Suite.
Also, 7zip, for a great compression tool

Gruthar

Mar 27, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
chromewarriorXIII said:
What kind of programs do you want?
More in the case of programs that I will find useful (utilities and such, like Anivirus programs, Browsers and the like), awesome or fun.

Okay, so what I'm getting thus far is this:

Antivirus:
AVG Free
Avast!
Do NOT install more than one anti-virus on your machine, unless you enjoy slide-shows and having your brand new computer run slowly.

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
In my experience, Avast is much better. It will scan sites before you've loaded them and it also scans your e-mails too and AVG has some compatability problems with some games. Instead of Daemon Tools, you should get MagicDisc. I found it easier to use, it allows you to create as many virtual drives as you need.
Definetly get Spybot - Search and Destroy.
You should get a third party disk defragger like Auslogics Disk Defrag. It is much better than the standard Windows one.
Hope I helped.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
Get the RC for Windows 7, You'll have a much better time with that than Vista, or XP for that matter. Then again, it is a whole other opperating system, so it could be annoying to install it, then install everything again, then once again when the actual product comes out, but you should reformat every so often anyway.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
mentor07825 said:
Well, first thing to kick start a computer is to show it some love, ie kick the shit out of it.

Then I would make sure all the drivers are installed.

Then I would install Avast! anti-virus software, it's free and does a lot of good shit.

Then I would install the Microsoft Works CD, because you'll never know when you'll need it.

Then install your music, so that you can listen to them while you're installing games.

Then install Winamp because it's better the Microsoft Media player.
My sentiments exactly.

Don't forget to ask your manufacturer for a copy of the Vista Install DVD and Repair DVD if you got Vista as your OS.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
When I get a new computer, I usually install Mozilla Firefox, go to all my favorite websites and start signing into accounts and remembering passwords. Over the next few days I'll begin adding icons and downloading other personal stuff like ITunes and UTorrent. Then I'll add my games.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Not kicking your computer is a good start.

Getting a good anti-viral/anti-spyware program like Trend Micro is another good step, and should be done before you start downloading anything. Then update all drivers and hardware, then finally install goodies like music and games.