Kickstarter Hit Legend of Dungeon Available for $10

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Kickstarter Hit Legend of Dungeon Available for $10

The new game from Robot Loves Kitty can be purchased for PC, Mac, and Linux with immediate "near-beta" access.

Back in November, indie development team Robot Loves Kitty <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon>launched the Kickstarter for its new game, Legend of Dungeon. Outside of a vague-sounding title, the game advertised procedurally-generated side-scrolling dungeons that four players could loot and explore to their hearts content. Given the recent success of dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock, the results shouldn't be surprising: The game reached its $5000 goal within 24 hours, and earned six times that amount before closing. Now Robot Loves Kitty is releasing a "near-beta" version of the game for non-backers to experience. Anyone who purchases Legend of Dungeon <a href=http://www.robotloveskitty.com/LoD/index.html>from its official site will get immediate access to the alpha build, future access to beta and final versions, and two upcoming expansions.

Legend of Dungeon puts the player and three friends into the shoes of randomly generated adventurers seeking adventure and fortune. After learning of a treasure within an ever-changing dungeon, the players attempt a journey down its deadly 26 floors and back, facing monsters and traps along the way. The quest won't be easy, as players face increasingly larger and dangerous foes the farther they go, with nothing but permadeath to reward their likely failure.

Legend of Dungeon features a unique mash-up of gameplay genres and visuals. Roguelike and Beat-Em-Up side-scrollers are the most obvious inspirations, but there's also Spelunky's procedurally-generated environments, Spellbrothers: Sword and Sorcery's pixelated visuals, and Legend of Grimrock's love of dungeon crawling. That's a fair amount of content to integrate within a single title while developing its own sense of identity. As the attached trailer shows, Robot Loves Kitty seems to be doing a great job on that score so far.

Even in its alpha state, Legend of Dungeon provides a solid gameplay experience. It could use a little tweaking to orient new players (I managed to get myself killed during the intro tavern level), but for a $10 price tag that includes all future updates, it's certainly worth taking a look at. Customers can also buy the game's $15 dollar soundtrack edition, or vote on <a href=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108895757>Legend of Dungeon's Steam Greenlight page if you'd like to see it on Valve's digital platform.

Source: Joystiq

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hey, that's just one of a long series of previous games, so don't just brush it off. :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I saw this on Greenlight over a month ago.
I'll probably wait on seeing original footage (Lets Plays) before deciding, as I did for FTL.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I love that they defiantly made this with pixels and 8-bit sound. I love it. I'd even try it out in the future. Sometimes we have to look back before we move forward.

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
I saw this on Greenlight over a month ago.
I'll probably wait on seeing original footage (Lets Plays) before deciding, as I did for FTL.
OMFGcata and Indiestatik did a rather amusing Let's Play that seems to give a good impression of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyfQpRDm2g

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Reminds me a lot of "Deadly Towers" for the NES in how it looks and apparently plays for some reason.

That said I'll probably pass on this one as I'm not huge on co-op and it seems like a virtual requirement. I also wasn't especially fond of the game it most makes me think of (to put it mildly).

"Legend Of Grimrock" on the other hand was a fond reminder of "Dungeon Master" which is a game I loved. My sole real complaint with it was it's over-dependance on some levels with reflex based puzzles, dodging/moving past moving teleporters and the like. It also seemed to incorperate some of the aspects of "Dungeon Master" that I wasn't especially fond of like food representing a timer of sort which tends to become more of an issue the deeper you delve.

Truth be told if "Grimoire" is only a fraction of the game I hope it will be, it will probably keep my retro dungeon crawling desires sated for quite a while to come. Donated to their Indiegogo (I seem to be one of very few) and can't wait until May if it makes it's planned release date.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
sizzle949 said:
OMFGcata and Indiestatik did a rather amusing Let's Play that seems to give a good impression of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyfQpRDm2g
Jesse Cox...I remember him from the Terraria videos he and TotalBiscuit did.
Oh dear.

Still, it looks like it could be really fun, and it vaguely reminds me of Tower of Doom for some reason.