Kickstarter of the Century? Half a Million to Save Armstrong's Spacesuit

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Someone Depressing said:
...Why? As in, why Kickstarter?

The government doesn't need Kickstarter because they have something better: taxes.
The people who currently run the government don't believe in taxes. Start supporting taxes and the next thing you know all the backers for your billion-dollar reelection campaign have pulled out.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Varrdy said:
Morti said:
I was under the impression that whilst he was supposed to say "for a man", he did actually fudge it on the day and say "for man"?
Given the circumstances, I think Neil could be forgiven for fluffing his lines, if that were the case.

If I were in his boots, babbling like an over-excited, sugar-fuelled 4 year old would be the limit of my eloquence!
Me to except my first words couldn't be put in the newspapers without heavy censoring.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Me to except my first words couldn't be put in the newspapers without heavy censoring.[/quote]

Yeah, there would be a good chance of that with me, too...

"I'm about to step off the LM now. That's one small step for a man...AND I AM ON THE F**KING MOON! JESUS H. TAPDANCING CHRIST!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!"

--FLUFFED THIS ONE. ANY MOD READING THIS, PLEASE DELETE. SORRY!--

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
Me to except my first words couldn't be put in the newspapers without heavy censoring.
Yeah, there would be a good chance of that with me, too...

"I'm about to step off the LM now. That's one small step for a man...AND I AM ON THE F**KING MOON! JESUS H. TAPDANCING CHRIST!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!"

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Someone Depressing said:
...Why? As in, why Kickstarter?

The government doesn't need Kickstarter because they have something better: taxes.
An interesting thing to note: The money that you pledge for this Kickstarter campaign is tax deductible. (Edit: Granted that you pay US taxes)

Under every pledge reward said:
$X (your total pledge minus the fair market value of the reward) is deductible from your pledge for federal income tax purposes. Please retain this document for your records.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
All i see here is an excuse to swindle some money from gullible people. I doubt that the US is so broke that they can't preserve one suit. Museums have crap from thousands of years ago and they can't handle something from the late 90's.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
PaulH said:
What do they mean it's not built to last? How exactly is it degrading? Did they just put a mannequin in it and let any grubby handed tourist touch it? I've seen books from the 11th century. How the actual fuck do synthetics break down in 46 years?
11th century books were written on papyrus with ink made out of animal guts. they are far stronger than modern techniques. in fact librarians are having much more trouble with 19th century books fading away to unreadability due to low quality of ink used while the 11th century ones staying pretty much intact. It certainly is the case of "they dont make them how they used to".

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Strazdas said:
11th century books were written on papyrus with ink made out of animal guts. they are far stronger than modern techniques. in fact librarians are having much more trouble with 19th century books fading away to unreadability due to low quality of ink used while the 11th century ones staying pretty much intact. It certainly is the case of "they dont make them how they used to".
Hell no. Read the actual kickstarter, it developed holes (that were badly patched), unknown 'mysterious stains'. They treated the garment like crap. As I made in the subsequent post, take the fashion museum repository like the Australian Dress Registry. Perfectly preserved articles of clothing over the last 150 years. No mysterious holes, or stains. Many on rotational public displays.

I can understand why the rubber might be hardening and cracking, but it's not like they'll be reusing the suit. It just seems like they treated the thing like crap and they're expecting people to pay them for damages due their inability to take care of a keepsake from one of the greatest journeys ever undertaken by mankind.

Synthetics do not break down this quickly without wear and tear. The suit was worn once, admittedly in some of the harshest conditions that you can subject clothes to short of tossing them into an open fire place. No excuse for the subsequent damage since the article entered into the museum.

ccggenius12 said:
I like to think it's because the museum curator(s) used it to pick up chicks. I mean, astronauts get all the Tang they want, and it's not like you can just buy one of those suits. Alternatively there was a compulsive need to one-up their golfing buddy's Argyle track-suit. Nothing beats golfing astronaut, except miniature dinosaurs.

OT: I'm not sure why anyone is surprised about this, museums don't have mandatory "donation" boxes for nothing. It's always been the case that the government is just kicking in the difference to keep the lights on, while the facilities coercively panhandle the guests for every cent they can manage.
You know what? You're probably right. I can see it now;

"Fucking Dave ... stole my costume idea. Ain't nobody going to be impressed with my Julius Caesar now ..."

"Bingo, bitches!"

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
I used to work in a museum, and I think it is shocking the state such a historic garment is in. It has obviously not had a decent curator looking after it, and the patch jobs are ridiculous. We had 200 year old clothes in a better state

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, seriously? It's a frigging museum piece. You preserve history. There is no middle ground here.

harrisongrimms

Jun 14, 2015
If NASA doesnt care enough about it to properly take care of it in the first place t.......

Why should we PAY them to "properly" take care of it this time?

What they should do is sell it to a Private collector, or museum.

1. It will bring in money for NASA to do more projects. (And take it out their incompetent hands.)
2. Someone who pays 8 billion dollars for it, will make damn sure no more "unknown" stains will appear.