Kickstarter's you backed

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
As the title say what Kickstarters have you backed, if any? Which ones do you regret and which ones happy with?

So far I only backed one for $15 and it was the only one I had any confidence in so far. It helps I was given a prepaid giftcard for Christmas.

Shadowrun: hong kong: $15- 1 digital copy of the game and a few soundtracks.
It is by the same people who made Shadowrun: dragonfall and Shadowrun returns. I thought returns was good but not great game. Dragonfall greatly surpassed returns and was one of the best game in 2014 imo. A small part of my confidence in this developer was gained by dragonfall's directors cut upgrade being free to everyone who already bought Dragonfall. It's almost like fostering consumer goodwill can be helpful to a developer.

Their games was my first exposure to the world of shadowrun, I think the world is interesting, and I want to see more. I am pretty confident that this kickstarter will turn out well enough to be worth $15.

random fact- My avatar is the dog named Dante from shadowrun dragonfall.

edit- that question is general and can include non game related kickstarters... I wonder if this should be in the off topic section instead? well if moderators are fine with this thread being under gaming I have no problem with it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Never backed anything. Don't fully trust or understand the indie scene, what can I tell you.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
None as I don't have any money and I don't like having consumer protection circumvented by the semantics of "backing != purchasing"

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have never backed and I have zero intentions of ever backing a Kickstarter (or any "crowd funding"-type things).

I will go ahead and let other people foot the bill for your game if they so desire and if it actually gets released and if it's actually worth getting, I'll get it then. I have zero reason to invest on what you're doing if I'm not getting any of the benefits of investing.

Also, I'm on console and those games just don't really show up. Even if one day I found a game that would thaw my frozen and shriveled heart, there's a very good chance that it wouldn't do me any good anyways (Xenonauts was probably the closest; if it had been a console game, I'd have considered it).

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The only Kickstarter project I ever backed was Armikrog [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armikrog/armikrog], but only because I'm a huge fan of The Neverhood and I trust Doug TenNapel and Co. This is the only way fans like myself are going to get more of what they love, and I felt obligated (morally obligated, in fact) to support the endeavor.

The game isn't out yet, but I did get a snazzy T-shirt of Tommynaut and a thank-you note from the team. I eagerly await its release, which will probably be sometime later this year.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've backed two:

Dreamfall: Chapters and Pillars of Eternity. I haven't had reason to regret backing either.

The first episode of Dreamfall Chapters has already been released with the second to be soon released, and the first episode was quite good. One of my favourite depictions of a cyberpunk city to date, it was a genuine pleasure to wander that place and to meet the characters that inhabited it.

Pillars of Eternity meanwhile is due for release soon as well and looks to deliver exactly what was promised. There have been regular updates for backers including some interesting concept art and a glimpse into what goes into making a game like this. I'm really looking forward to it.

I was tempted to back Shadowrun: Hong Kong because I've been very happy with that studios work with the franchise so far, but unfortunately I just don't have the money to spare right now and thankfully the kickstarter has done very well.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I only ever once backed a kickstarter and I think it failed the creator has gone dark when it comes to updates, and has failed to dole out any of the rewards

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The only indie game I would have liked to back would be Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius. Kinda. I only knew about it when it was fully available on Steam for free and for the amount of stuff put into it I wonder if people were iffy about them pulling through. They spent money on hiring a Japanese band to perform the opening song for example, that's pretty lavish for an indie kickstarter title no? A game that was going to sell for nothing too. It was good though, it worked.

I would back the sequel if I had the money free because I know they're probably going to have a finished product as the first was good and damn you Love in Space, Sunrider Academy has an actual price tag now. They realised that Mask of Arcadius was good enough to charge money for but didn't for some reason. They released a demo for Academy that proved they had an actual working game. (Yes a demo, those old things how quaint) I know I'd pay extra for an expansion pack where they add a route for Icari because i'm a sucker for even the most stock tsundere character and at the end of the day, Sunrider Academy has a Waifu Mode. GOTY 2015 GG.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
1.) Hyper Light Drifter. Hasn't shown up yet but It's one of the few games I'm really looking forward to.

2.) The Black Glove. A really cool looking idea from some of the Bioshock: Infinite guys. Too bad it failed.

3.)Dreamfall: Chapters. So far I'm impressed by it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Though I feel I've backed a few more then that, because I've bought into a couple episodic games that are taking a very, very long time between episodes. Notably The Dream Machine, Kentucky Route Zero and Broken Age.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Only backed one so far, Among The Sleep and it was worth it, great game, and my name is in the credits. Still waiting on art book etc. but that is alright. Game had one free DLC which was really good, and now being ported to PS4. Really wish I had backed The Hum as well, but I was short on cash at the time, but I will for sure buy it at release.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
It was the first thing I backed, and I have no regrets doing so, I backed Asagao Academy. Enough for a Normal Boots Club patch iirc.

Sep 9, 2007
I think it would be easier to link to my profile [https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1979153590] rather than list them out. Of the projects I've backed, 16 have been fully completed, 13 are in alpha/beta stages and only one has been cancelled after the kickstarter was successful.

Of the completed projects, the ones I've been most impressed with are:

The Final Fantasy VI OCRemix Project: A five disc musical tribute to one of my all time favourite JRPGs. There's a nice balance of genres and the production quality is superb.

Timber and Stone: A city building survival game, inspired by Dwarf Fortress. I backed this on a whim and I've been pleasantly surprised at how its doing. Current version is 1.62 and still being worked on.

Enemy: A Squad based rougelike. Its still in beta, but what I've played so far has been very solid, even if I can't clear the first boss...

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Only two.

The first was Torment: Tides of Numenera. I backed it because they promised those in the $45 tier a copy of Wasteland 2. Then they delayed Wasteland 2 for about a year. Oh, and then Torment got delayed a year.

I've developed a personal policy of avoiding pre-orders like a plague. You're paying for a game before it's released, which in turn encourages developers/publishers to release it before it's finished. Kickstarter takes this to the extreme. It's a complete joke how so many projects will promise a release date, then turn around and knock it back several months once the checks clear.

The only other Kickstarter I've backed was Clannad. It did seem a little exploitive ($40 for a VN that came out a decade ago?), but I can't see them fucking up a game that's already, well... done. Just needs a translation...

Korsgaard

Aug 9, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/korsgaard

I figured a link may be faster than a list, but I've backed 48 different projects.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I haven't backed any yet. There have been a few I wanted to back but either I was low on money at the time or I found out about it after the time already expired.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
I backed the Sedition Wars and the Toughest Girls in the Galaxy kickstarters. The first was from a designer with a good reputation - Studio McVey - who has utterly annihilated that good reputation by releasing a crappy game with mediocre to terrible miniatures that now sells for maybe 1/4th of its asking price. The second was $15 spent to find out what their product was like, to which the answer is "overpriced and years behind schedule."

I would be willing to do business with Raging Heroes in the future if they move to a more customer-friendly material to bring their prices down. I wouldn't piss on Studio McVey if they were on fire.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Hover: Revolt of Gamers
I've forgotten why I backed this one, honestly.

Barony
Friend of mine was a developer for it, so I decided to assist.

FreeSpace Tactics
It's FreeSpace Tabletop. Yes ple- oh, it's cancelled. :(

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I backed several after the kickstarter with paypal, although i don't know if that counts. So here's my list.

Pillars of Eternity - Close to release and looking good.
Faster than light - Finished and Fantastic
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Unfinished
Planetary Annihilation - Finished, not too happy about it.
Star Citizen - unfinished
Darkest Dungeon - unfinished, but the alpha preview videos look fantastic
Stonehearth - alpha with consistent updates. Allready pretty fun
Rimworld - alpha but allready fantastic
Castle Story - alpha but no real content updates for a year now. pretty disapointed.
Starbound - alpha, but allready had enough fun with it to justify my purchase and they just released a big update.

Overall, there are some dissapointments there, but enough good to great games to make up for it. Didn't had a scam yet, so yay.