Kickstarter's you backed

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Never have, never will.

I just don't like the idea of paying for something before I can see lots of gameplay footage and can see how it's being received. It's the same reason I never pre-order.

Maybe if I had lots of money to throw around I'd be more willing to pay for things that are just ideas. Right now, I'd rather not risk potentially throwing my money away.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Currently have $225 down on Shadowrun: Hong Kong.
First kickstarter I've backed, massive fan of the previous games by the dev, and the rewards are excellent.

I also back a friends album on Indigogo one time. Didnt wind up being a fan of the album, (bit overproduced, his live stuff is better), but I love the guy so I regret nothing.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Wasteland 2 - Released, Great game
Shadowrun Returns - Released, rocky start but its very good now, especially Dragonfall. There where enough problems that I will be waiting for the release of Hong Kong to buy it, but I don't regret backing Shadowrun Returns.
Project Eternity - Almost finished and it looks good
Numenera, The Strange, The Guide to Glorantha - All Released, All great PnP RPG settings
Dice Rings - released, my wife loves them
Torment: Tides of Numenera - making good progress, inXile did a great job with wasteland so I'm confident that they will do a good job here too
Cosmic Star Heroine - making good progress, I really like Zeboyd's other games and its looking really good
Pathologic (Мор.Утопия) - recently funded, Ice-Pick Lodge is a great developer and I can't wait to see the Pathologic remake
World's Toughest Chainmail Dice Bag - Kickstarter in progress but they have very well built prototypes and they did a great job with the dice rings

I have had no regrets with what I have backed and there has been no failures. As long as you research the project before backing you can mitigate the risk of wasting your money.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
I'm going to ignore the Mantic ones I've been involved in (anyone who knows mantic knows why - so many of them)

Rimworld - Again so far Alpha - and I'd love to play more, but until it gets it's 1st Steam release I'll leave it be

That Which Sleeps - Looks awesome, and so far, so good on delievery minor delay but communicated and for good reason

Rise of the Kage - Far too early

Stash - Yeh it's $15 not too fussed on that one, but it does look to be a good fun idea

Demigods Rising - Due August and I expect it will be there

Mantis Model Storage Case - Very late, and a real bad KS manager - unlikely to back again, but product arrived and is what was promised so...yeh

Guild Ball - A little late, but looking good

The Mandate - VERY late but communicated why and anyone who complains is really not getting it, this is the one I'm most exited to see

Impact miniatures - just some mods arrived - little late...

Warmachine Tactics - best run and on time, exactly what was promised

I also backed Impact Winter which failed

....yeh maybe I have a small kickstarter problem

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I've backed 4:

GaymerX: $50 for some funky goodies. Even though there was zero chance of me ever making the convention, I still wanted to support it since it was such a positive idea.

Pillars of Eternity: $35 for a digital copy of the game and a soundtrack. It's definitely looking very interesting and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go when it releases. It might not have met Obsidian's initial release prediction but at least we've been getting regular updates so we know it hasn't just been abandoned.

Badass: Spades and Grenades: $23 for a copy of the deck. It might just be a regular deck of cards but the artwork is gorgeous. The project was pretty late in its delivery but again, lots of updates and the guys behind it realised quickly they'd underestimated a lot of the logistics of the project but they still delivered.

Exploding Kittens: $50 for a copy of the deck and the NSFW expansion. What can I say, I love card games. Hopefully the team behind it can do something good with all the surplus cash they've raised.

I might have backed four projects but I'm still kind of wary of Kickstarter. I get the reasons why people don't buy into it and generally I'm the same. I was still quite tentative about backing even those four, though for the 3 that have finished I'm satisfied with the results.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Tippi on the TV... money to produce (slightly) sarcastic reviews...

Nope not a game and nope I'm not getting anything physical out of it, but it's supporting someone who produces something I enjoy, so I see it as the same as being in the publishers club here or purchasing a monthly magazine subscription

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I've backed Torment: Tides of Numenera, Mighty No. 9 and Satellite Reign.

I missed the Kickstarters for a couple of games, but have bought into their development directly in much the same fashion; specifically Pillars of Eternity and Rimworld.

Rimworld is the dog's bollocks already and I don't see much chance of Numenera or Eternity not being quite fantastic. Mighty No. 9.. I'm less fussed about. Hopefully get an enjoyable blaster out of it.

Satellite Reign feels like my biggest risk. I heard who was involved and "spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars" and threw a somewhat silly (for me) amount of money at my monitor. The pre-alpha build they released a few months back was pretty good; needed a lot of work, but that's what I should expect from such an early/incomplete product. I just really, really hope the game lives up to dreams and expectations, as I've possibly left myself in a position to be quite easily disappointed.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I've backed two Kickstarters which I did about two years ago, Cryamore and Shroud of the Avatar. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Kickstarters that I backed although the former was a bit disappointing for a while.

Cryamore was fairly involved with updating it's backers after it's kickstarter passed but went quiet almost a year after. Now they've recently started updates again and explained why there was such a long quiet period.

Shroud of the Avatar has been active and supplying nearly weekly constant updates on the game's development and for the last year and a half providing different builds to it's backers to try out as development progressed and looks to be getting pretty close to it's official release.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oculus rift. Which got me a DK1...

Which I rarely touch, but that's a side issue. It lived up to my expectations of it, so that's fine.
The fact that I was going to develop some VR stuff and then didn't is entirely my own fault.

The other one was um the 'enterprise bridge restoration', which got me a wall plaque and some isolinear chips that's hanging on my wall, which is nice, but that's not why I did it.

I guess it's a weird thing to back given that the odds of me ever seeing the thing I actually paid for is pretty low, but they're doing alright...

Starting a scifi museum in LA... Which is kind of cool...

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I haven't actually backed anything through Kickstarter, but I have done "slacker backer" things where I back projects already funded through KS. Nothing against Kickstarter, I'm usually just late to the party.

So far I have backed:

Torment: Tides of Numenera @ $65 tier for the physical copy

Pillars of Eternity @ $45 tier for the full game, though I wish I could upgrade to physical copy but they refuse to give backers an upgrade system, I'd have to make a whole new pledge and cancel my old one.

Shroud of the Avatar @ $45 + $20 Alienware Arena Club Voucher that ups my pledge.

I am strongly considering backing Shadowrun Hong Kong as well but I backed those 3 games a year ago and only Shroud of the Avatar is playable though I haven't gotten into it because I'd rather play it when it's in full release.

Oh and by the way, for anyone who liked Ultima Underworld, there's a new kickstarter about to launch in less than 24 hours... http://www.underworldascendant.com/

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
None, I find the idea of investing money into a project and not owning a portion of it silly.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The only one I'm still waiting for is Castle Story (voxel RTS), sadly this one looks like it will be in a very very lengthy development cycle. For every new feature they try to implement they need to go back several months in engine development to accommodate it, so it's difficult to tell if things are going forward or backward.

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Senscape's "Asylum" got the $400 pack. So I'll be getting a t-shirt, a copy of the game, and a piece of my own artwork in the game.

Apr 5, 2008
I've backed these successful projects to date:

- Shadowrun: Hong Kong
- Insomnia
- After Reset
- Torment: Tides of Numeneria
- Dreamfall Chapters
- Legends of Dawn
- Forsaken Fortress
- Star Citizen
- Project Eternity

I've also backed five others that failed to reach their goals (notably Outcast 2.0 and Nexus II, both of which I would dearly love to see made!). Of those that were successful, I've received Dreamfall Chapters and Legends of Dawn already and am most looking forward to Project Eternity, followed by SC and SR:HK. I've also bought, played and thoroughly enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin, though I didn't back it on KS but bought it after the fact.

So far, my experiences with kickstarted games have all been very positive. I've had no let downs, bad stories or disappointments. It annoys me that Yahtzee always flippantly describes kickstarter as being for games that evoke "nostalgia", more than I care to admit actually. That's not the case at all. What it is, is a system that allows games to be funded that otherwise would not be by traditional publishing. AAA have NO interest in PC RPGs, space sims and the like but I do still have an interest. AAA have no interest in the Outcast or Nexus games, but I do. AAA only make AssCreed, CoD and WoW clones and those are games in which I have NO interest.

It isn't nostalgia. Yes I loved BG2, and yes Project Eternity could be argued to evoke *some* nostalgia from me on that basis, however I funded PE because I want to see a deep, adult PC RPG. One that hasn't been made for teens and consoles by EA with unneeded multiplayer, microtransactions and generic action-adventure gameplay. I backed it because I want a challenging role-playing experience, not a console game made by Squeenix with unnecessary Mocap cutscenes, constant QTEs and frequent loading screens.

I don't want Ubisoft games where I have to climb fucking towers while obnoxious Americans call me "Tat Bro", "Playa" or "Dawg". I don't want to "check my six", "stay frosty", "see you on the other side" or whatever other military jargon bullshit they cram into their generic games.

It's not nostalgia that makes me back these games. It's my preferences. I love RPGs, I love cyberpunk, I love space sims, pirate sims and so many other things that AAA don't give a damn about any more. If I can get a deep, PC RPG without compromises made for consoles, made by the people who gave us BG2, you can be damn sure I'm gonna throw my money at them and thank them for the privilege of allowing me to. I will gladly back the kind of games I want to play...it's the definition of voting with my wallet. Maybe publishers will take note that there is still demand for the games I enjoy, maybe they won't (in fact I'm sure they won't), but without KS I wouldn't have Divinity: Original Sin, Dreamfall Chapters, Project Eternity, etc so I'm glad for it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
None. For several reasons (not necessarily in this order):

1) I'm a cheap bastard.
2) I don't like paying for things that are not and may never be finished.
3) Can't be bothered with the international online payment hassle.
4) Never found any kickstarter that really interested me.
5) I don't entirely trust the whole kickstarter malarkey.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I never have any money so I have only backed one Kickstarter, I backed the Madness Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter. My only real regret was I really wish the game had gotten more funding, it barely made its goal so a lot of the interesting stretch goals weren't met. I think they plan on developing the stretch goal content after the game is released so it isn't all bad.

I am very tempted to back STRAFE, I have been watching that Kickstarter since its launch and I really hope it hits its goal (despite seeming fairly high in my opinion). I am just unsure if I want to spend how ever much it will cost to secure a copy of the game, I have no doubt that it will be worth it and I am confident they aren't a scam but I am wary about a number of things, like the game appearing not being on Steam and so forth.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I've funded a few.

Grim Dawn: Very happy I funded this one, though admittedly I'm biased because I love ARPGs, and I especially love Titan Quest, and this game was made by the same guys who did TQ. Still, they release new content relatively often, and the game has improved noticeably since I first downloaded it.

Dungeon Keeper: Battle for the Overworld: I'll let you know as soon as they actually release a little more for this one, but right now I have to say I regret it since it seems they've done so little.

Warmachine Tactics: I personally like this one, though I know a lot of people don't. I loved the setting and I thought the gameplay was generally good. Biggest problem is it needs some serious optimization.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I've backed only the OUYA. They made the console, and they still are supporting it. I don't regret it, because I didn't see it as an investment; but a charity.

And Man

May 12, 2014
I've backed:

C-Wars - They have a beta out, which I haven't checked out yet. I'll probably just wait for the full game
Mighty No. 9 - In development
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians - In development
Battle Chef Brigade - In development

So yeah, nothing I've backed has been officially released yet, but they all send out updates fairly often, so I'm feeling good enough about them