Kids and your opinion of them

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I like kids. They're tiny people with a tiny world view and a hunger to grow. At some point most people stop wanting to grow up, but kids still do. I think that's kinda wonderful.

Also kids are cute. Like the cutest.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Also tbh they sound frustrating. I don't like to be responsible for others. It is frustrating to be responsible for others who may not listen (and kids definitely won't at times) so better to avoid such a situation if I can help it.

I guess I just see all downsides and no real upside for me as I'm quite satisfied with my life as it is

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
I like most kids, but some are little shits.

But you know, kids are just as varied as people: they have different ratios of being delightful characters vs being wretched assholes.

It is fascinating to observe them developing as humans. While I can now understand why some parents get into vices such as alcohol to cope (I don't, but I can understand WHY) few things in life are as great as getting a loud "PAPA'S HOME! :D" followed by massive hugs after having a terrible, terrible day at work.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I like kids, but I'm not in a hurry to have any. I don't think I'd be a good parent anyway...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Me and my genes are selfish and they want kids at some point. There's still a lot of essential checkboxes unchecked for it to happen though. That's the only philosophy I have for now.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
McElroy said:
Me and my genes are selfish and they want kids at some point. There's still a lot of essential checkboxes unchecked for it to happen though. That's the only philosophy I have for now.
Lol your genes

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not against having kids as a concept, but I feel like I lack the experience, skill and money to pull it off.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Decapitated Centaur said:
McElroy said:
Lol your genes
1st prize in the Eugenics Lottery, by the way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm really not predisposed towards liking kids, but I'll admit there's been times where a child has surprised me with thoughtfulness or maturity past what most adults seem capable of these days. So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Having kids, though? Hell no. Mine is not a legacy that needs to be continued.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to wind up being an uncle and that's about as close as I want to come to having kids. I personally don't hate them but it depends on the child itself. I can't stand babies but that's more of an anxiety thing...I see them as a watermelon that wants to kill itself and I don't want to be anywhere near the things. Once a kid reaches a certain age though I don't mind being around them but as for having my own kids I just don't want anything like that in my life.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I'm going to be a grade school teacher, so thankfully I love kids. They see everything with fresh eyes, it's refreshing. I would like to be a father one day, but not right now. I have too much I want to accomplish at the moment.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont have a default opinion of "kids" because people, even kids vary. In terms of rasing them, part of me doesnt want to cause of all the work and responsibility, but I am also not in any position right now to have kids. Even if I wanted them, it would be a bad idea for their sake and mine.

But I also hate bad parents, and consider having a kid one day so I can know there is atleast one (well, hopefully two) parents who do care about their kid. Alot of it is spite against my own parent(s).

Ultimately it depends on my partner, whoever they might be. If they definately want kids, we will have kids. If they definatly dont, then most likely we wont. If they are unsure, well, who knows.

If we do though, we will adopt, cause I am very pro-adoption and dont value blood family.

I dont like babies, cause they are gross.

And as for my hobbies "dying" uh...its called sharing them. The few good things of my parent(s) was sharing interests. Im a gamer because they were, and my positive memories are mainly gaming with them. (They arent dead if it sounds that way, well, my mother and step dad anyways, cant say about my birth father)

Outside of parenting, I get along well enough with kids usually. In person when not debating morality, I am a very considerate person who enjoys making people laugh and feel good not bad. I am more inclined to make kids laugh than make them sad.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
My experience with them predominantly relates to my time as a teacher. In Australia, high school age for the average kid is approximately 12-13. As cruel as kids can be, I don't mind working with teenagers. Any younger and I'm not very good with.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I've been an uncle for four years now. I babysit fairly regularly. They're frustrating little shits, but they can be adorable sometimes.

Case in point: Last week, we had my 4-year-old niece for a sleepover and out of nowhere she says "I can hear my bones in my body!"

"What are they saying?" we asked her.

"They're saying, 'let me out!'"

I couldn't decide if that was hilarious or terrifying.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
Case in point: Last week, we had my 4-year-old niece for a sleepover and out of nowhere she says "I can hear my bones in my body!"

"What are they saying?" we asked her.

"They're saying, 'let me out!'"
Wow, I'd say the kid has potential has a horror writer. That's pretty creepy.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
As someone who has worked with children as a volunteer to a tutor and currently as a teacher of sorts, I can safely say that we currently have possibly the worst tempered and undisciplined kids this generation.

I wholeheartedly hate that, but it is the truth.

When I volunteered as a teacher's aide as a teen, the kids were never an issue; they required little to no instruction or discipline to stay on task. This behavior is what got me interested in teaching, as I was a very organized individual and enjoyed teaching others.

During my college years, I was a tutor for a school district and my aspirations for teaching others only intensified. The students were very bright and disciplined, and those who weren't were a very rare and unique case. I could comprehend those troublemakers, so it didn't really deter me from future employment in teaching.

Currently, teaching in the district that I'm in, I felt that I would be able to teach effortlessly. Man, was I wrong! These kids have no respect, are all over the inappropriate content spectrum, and they are a literal pain to deal with. Basically, those few students who do pay attention and work hard don't really need any of my input beyond teaching new subjects, while those who clearly don't want to be there, are a bothersome chore to get through.

This literal existence of extremes is really heartbreaking, and the fact that it occurred in the course of a few years from my last teaching gig is really telling of our decaying societal norms and morality.

kalio

Dec 16, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Raising a kid is a massive and long term responsibility, not to be entered in lightly. The idea that everyone ought to do so and hope for the best...no.
I could not agree more. It really is a responsiblity that not everyone can handle.

kalio

Dec 16, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Raising a kid is a massive and long term responsibility, not to be entered in lightly. The idea that everyone ought to do so and hope for the best...no.
I could not agree more. It really is a responsiblity that not everyone can handle.

Oct 2, 2012
I like kids! I think they're generally funny and adorable, if frustrating at times. However, I am a little wary around them because they're just so tiny. I'm always afraid I'll accidentally hurt them. I know they're tougher than they look, but they're just so damn small that I can't help but think of them as made of glass.

I'd love to have one or two someday, but on the other hand I don't think I'd make a very good father.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I hate kids. They are unpredictable, selfish and quite frankly pretty dumb. I avoid them at all costs. I myself was a pretty dumb kid ( at to a certain extent teenager), and was annoying as fuck. I'm surprised no one ever best the crap out of me.

Now I'm 28, absolutely don't want kids ( my gf had her uterus removed due to cancer so no worries there) and refuse to talk to anyone under 22.