Kids react to Gameboy, people get butthurt

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011

I've seen some comments regarding this, people saying all shit like 'Oh back in my day we didn't have this stuff, we had blah blah blah.' Or 'These kids don't know what's good'

I have to ask, why do people get so worked up about it? Did they seriously expect kids to enjoy it? Yes they've got new tech and stuff, so obviously they're going to find the GB crap. They grew up with newer technology, it's not like they can help it.

Obviously we enjoyed the stuff we had but there's no need to act so butthurt over it. Let the new generation of kids enjoy their stuff just like we did!

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Sean Hollyman said:
I have to ask, why do people get so worked up about it? Did they seriously expect kids to enjoy it? Yes they've got new tech and stuff, so obviously they're going to find the GB crap. They grew up with newer technology, it's not like they can help it.
Or do they seriously expect that that's not EXACTLY what the kids are going to say? That they're not going to feature kids saying anything positive because haha lulz old things?

Shows some remarkable insecurity that someone can't let children laugh at things that they like.

Also, exactly the kind of reaction that they would have wanted, probably.

TKhanman

Mar 15, 2014
Agreed, I really hate how some people have think being born in the 90's is some kind of accomplishment or that it makes them better and/or that not liking stuff they liked in the past is some sort of crime.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
"Oh, my. These young whippersnappers have no idea how revolutionary this gaming apparatus was back when I was a lad."

That's seriously how those reactions sound like to me. And I can understand the kids's reaction. I know I wasn't interested in my older sister's Game&watch when I was 8, because I had a gameboy.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I think it's case by case. My 5 year old nephew simply loves playing Sonic The Hedgehog games on the Genesis.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
I think it's case by case. My 5 year old nephew simply loves playing Sonic The Hedgehog games on the Genesis.
That's the thing, isn't it? If you want your children to have fun with older technology, you have to get them excited for it at an early age, before they get too attached to the newer stuff preferably. They won't be interested to explore that era of gaming otherwise. I know I wouldn't be interested in the Atari 2600 if my grandma didn't own one when I was little.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't know.. outside of a few games, the original Game Boy wasn't really all that great (and yes, I actually had one at the time). I can also totally understand why kids would react poorly to it. It's not that hard when you take off the nostalgia goggles.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
TKhanman said:
Agreed, I really hate how some people have think being born in the 90's is some kind of accomplishment or that it makes them better and/or that not liking stuff they liked in the past is some sort of crime.
I know right? Sure the 90s had some awesome tv shows and stuff, but if you ask me pretty much everything improved since then. And it's not like you CAN'T still watch them today or anything.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
keniakittykat said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
That's the thing, isn't it? If you want your children to have fun with older technology, you have to get them excited for it at an early age, before they get too attached to the newer stuff preferably. They won't be interested to explore that era of gaming otherwise. I know I wouldn't be interested in the Atari 2600 if my grandma didn't own one when I was little.
I really think he just likes stuff he can play. For a long time his game of choices was Midnight Club LA then Burnout Paradise. Then one day he announced to me he was bored of racing games. *shrug*

but he's a real kid out of time. Plays outside, runs around, makes arts and crafts.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
keniakittykat said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
We gave my little brother Pokemon Yellow and a Gameboy Pocket when he was 6. He's 8 now, and you know what he said when we let him use my sister's gameboy color?

"It's in color now?!"

He also plays games on tablets, phones and on my mom's laptop, but we taught him to appreciate good games regardless of age.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What do they expect?

Kids today aren't going to want a Gameboy in the same way I wouldn't really want to drive a T-Model Ford, no matter how well it still ran.

I mean, I can appreciate it's legacy value and I'm sure it would make an awesome collector's item, but you wouldn't see me driving one into work.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Lol honestly, that's how I reacted to a gameboy when it was new. Dear god what a piece of sh*t. I remember just trying to play Mortal Kombat 2 on this thing when I was little, what a god damn head ache. You had to tilt it just the right way to see anything, the gameplay was crap and the visuals were god awful and OH MY GOD! I just remembered the music! >.< ugh.

From what I remember it was only around the time of the Advance came out that the games actually started being legitimate games instead of dramatic downgrades of what was on the consoles.

I truly do envy the kids who get to grow up with the 3DS and the Vita. If we had those back when I was growing up maybe I would have actually been interested in the handhelds.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well some of them were being a bit bratty (you would throw it in the trash? really?) but you can't expect them to want one or really be impressed with it when technology has moved on so much and they have stuff that is just plain better unless they're big on gaming history and collecting. Many of them did acknowledge the fact that it was revolutionary at the time (the older ones naturally) and most seem to think it was interesting and fun even if they didn't want it.

Although I admit I'm a little put off by little kids with iPads or fancy phones and it tends to make me think they are "spoiled" because of the price. I think my brain is still wired to react like they are more expensive than they are now plus I actually have to buy these things myself if I want them so see what the price is whereas when I was a kid it wouldn't register as much. Regardless it stupid getting pissy because someone had more than I did at their age. How expensive was a Sega Saturn or PS1? I don't think they were really cheap either.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DementedSheep said:
How expensive was a Sega Saturn or PS1? I don't think they were really cheap either.
SEGA Saturn in the US at launch was $399, while the PS1 managed to under cut the price of it by being $299 at launch. If we were to convert the prices to today's values, counting inflation and all, then the PS1 would cost $446 in today's time. The SEGA Saturn would be $595 in today's world. Now that's still cheaper than an iPad yes, but it's still pretty expensive to be sure.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Im confused because after watching the video, most of them were like 'Yeah okay, its lacking now, but I can see how this was great in its time. Plus it paved the way for our toys now'

So....yeah, I guess I missed something. Sure there was one kid who wasnt so kind....but Im pretty sure they always make sure to have a dissenting view, for the provocation.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I was with all of you until that one kid called Tetris boring. HOW DARE HE?! HEATHEN!

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Neronium said:
DementedSheep said:
How expensive was a Sega Saturn or PS1? I don't think they were really cheap either.
SEGA Saturn in the US at launch was $399, while the PS1 managed to under cut the price of it by being $299 at launch. If we were to convert the prices to today's values, counting inflation and all, then the PS1 would cost $446 in today's time. The SEGA Saturn would be $595 in today's world. Now that's still cheaper than an iPad yes, but it's still pretty expensive to be sure.
Cheers for working that out for me. I appreciate it!