Kill 24 people, Get three months in Jail. God Bless America.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I hope by "Bless" you mean give a gigantic middle finger the size of the Washington monument 'cause that's sure as hell what I would mean.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Agayek said:
Skin said:
Yet we would demonize the enemy for doing the same things we do. Compare the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings to 9/11...
To be fair, the nuke drops were performed on an enemy during wartime, while 9/11 was completely out of the blue. I fully intend to stay out of this, but the point does stand.
As someone said before, they were not necessary. Japan was basically fucked at that point and new evidence has found they were actually working with Russia to surrender. Let us not forget it remains to be the single largest act of terrorism ever committed.

I still fail to see what wartime had to do with anything. Maybe 9/11 was the rock being thrown.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Darth_Dude said:
This is screwed up. An American can kill another American citizen and he can get life in prison.
An American can also kill another American and get no prison time at all. This is a miscarriage of justice, but hardly unique. Murderers rarely get what they truly deserve.

Sylveria said:
The American Military is full of sadistic monsters who, let's face it, if they weren't over there shooting women and children, they'd be here shooting women and children, probably as cops.
As is every other military...

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
he plead guilty, and therefor, cannot be tried a maximum Sentence.

And that's messed up in itself. He said he did it, and doesn't get a maximum sentence? Wow. If he'd stolen something, maybe. This is a murder case.

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
He should be tried for war crimes is what should happen to him. I don't care what the circumstances were, he is responsible for those deaths and he and every one of the people who were party to that slaughter should server at least 20 years in jail, and that's letting them off light, as if they did that outside a war zone, they would be tired for each individual murder they committed. The military protects its own, and this is just another example of that. This is coming from an American by the way.
I'm sorry but your Avatar pic made me lawl for 2 minutes after staring at it stupid for 30 seconds... I remember that episode

Unfortunatly war can do horrible things to the people who figh them and the people who they are fighting. I ran into a soldier on my way to Naval recruitment center who said a little kid walked up to him asking for money. He told him to go away and the kid pulled out an uzi or something. He shot the kid and doesnt regret it. As someone whos going into Intelligence and hopefully special forces in a few years I don't doubt I'll have to be responsible for some deaths. Being in a situation of fear and stress everyday would turn anybody into a monster by our standards. It only shows why our ancestors were capable of such atrocities.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Skin said:
Agayek said:
Skin said:
Yet we would demonize the enemy for doing the same things we do. Compare the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings to 9/11...
To be fair, the nuke drops were performed on an enemy during wartime, while 9/11 was completely out of the blue. I fully intend to stay out of this, but the point does stand.
As someone said before, they were not necessary. Japan was basically fucked at that point and new evidence has found they were actually working with Russia to surrender. Let us not forget it remains to be the single largest act of terrorism ever committed.

I still fail to see what wartime had to do with anything. Maybe 9/11 was the rock being thrown.
Yeah, by surrender I assume you mean fight to the last man, because even after Hiroshima, they still couldn't weren't surrendering, as 2 or 3 on their ruling council wanted to fight to the last man. Nagasaki COULD be argued as unneeded, but we told them we would do it again if they didn't surrender, so we did. In preparation for the invasion, the US ordered 1,000,000 Purple Hearts, to go along with the 15 nukes they planned on dropping. Japan knew it had lost the war, if they had accepted the terms issued before Hiroshima, they could have avoided it completely.

OT: This disgusts me as an American. But I also know that for ever person like this, there are 10,000 others in the military who do whatever they can to avoid shooting civilians in any circumstance.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sean951 said:
Yeah, by surrender I assume you mean fight to the last man, because even after Hiroshima, they still couldn't weren't surrendering, as 2 or 3 on their ruling council wanted to fight to the last man. Nagasaki COULD be argued as unneeded, but we told them we would do it again if they didn't surrender, so we did. In preparation for the invasion, the US ordered 1,000,000 Purple Hearts, to go along with the 15 nukes they planned on dropping. Japan knew it had lost the war, if they had accepted the terms issued before Hiroshima, they could have avoided it completely.
IIRC, it was "only" 500,000, though they've still not used them up in all the wars since.

But yeah, Japan really did not want to surrender. Getting schoolkids to attack soldiers with pointy stick was preferable.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
These weren't just americans lol, they were soldiers and were responding to an attack that killed one of them like they should. They prolly went overboard but if you're paranoid that everyone may have a bomb under his shirt and may blow up at any minute you do not risk it cause if you do and you're wrong you'll be responsible for the death of your comrades and yourself.

This was NEVER a war, the "war on terror" thing is propaganda. Wars are declared and have win-terms, this is basically nation-building and in such affairs you do indeed have innocent people killed because they're too much of a risk to let live. Geneva convention doesn't apply. Even if it did, it is their fault for fighting with such means, they can't use suicide bombers but then go and hide behind the Geneva conventions when it suits them, that's called having your cake and eating it too.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Your forcing me to go through and try and find the various articles that do indeed show that Japan were planning on surrendering.

Down to the last man? Oh really? You know propaganda works two ways right...

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
This is just... wrong... Seriously, the US is turning into a fascist state! Look at the evidence!

1. They want to control and censor stuff on the net (with stuff like SOPA)
2. They do that anyway
3. The military can put anyone they dislike in prison
4. It's full of narrow-minded rascists
5. Other people than their own is obviously not worth anything

Seriously, isn't anyone worried? No one is going to do anything? Fine, as long as they stay out of my backyard the US is your problem now.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Crazycat690 said:
This is just... wrong... Seriously, the US is turning into a fascist state! Look at the evidence!

1. They want to control and censor stuff on the net (with stuff like SOPA)
2. They do that anyway
3. The military can put anyone they dislike in prison
4. It's full of narrow-minded rascists
5. Other people than their own is obviously not worth anything

Seriously, isn't anyone worried? No one is going to do anything? Fine, as long as they stay out of my backyard the US is your problem now.
You are really quite knowledgeable about a stereotypical image of America, not so much about the actual country.

1. Some poeple trying to put a crappy act through =/= America.
2. No they don't.
3. Law enforcement agencies and the military can put a broad array of people in prison, without trial, and hold them indefinitely, yes.
4. Ironic, since you seem to be operating on stereotypes.
5. Says the person sterotyping America.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
BlazeRaider said:
I don't think these guys get that behaviour like this makes their job harder. Those 24 civilians they killed will almost certainly be the act that pulls hundreds or perhaps thousands of would-be neutral or pro-coalition arabs over to insurgency. Honestly as a Canadian I wish we would pull out and leave the US to screw up on its own, helping an ally is good and all, but its been over a decade, and apparently the US military both on the ground and in command have no intention of ending the fighting given the amount of trouble they keep causing.
British here and I agree. We're not even fighting a war anymore, we're just staying there because we don't believe it will get better if we leave. It's like pulling a gun on someone now; we think as soon as we turn our backs, the other person is going to pull out their own and shoot us. And honestly, it wouldn't be a long stretch of belief to think that could happen. We've gone in but we obviously didn't think how we'd cope with the aftermath. Instead, it's been drawn out and we don't know when armies are going to pull out.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
TheDarkEricDraven said:

I...

What is this I don't even...

Well, I'm off to find the local terrorist recruitment center. Death to America, and whatnot. I am officially rebelling against my government. Fucking murdering assholes. I'm gonna get some help from the French and start Ericvaniastan.

Now, in all seriousness...I will absolutely kill these guys if I ever see them. If I had the resources to go on a trip, I would hunt them down and slaughter them in the most brutal way I could imagine. The "soldiers" who did that deserve nothing less then Hell.
Be careful, there's this new law that says they can hold even citizens indefinitely without trial if they suspect you're a terrorist. :p

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've never experienced war, I certainly hope I never will.
I've had 1 year of military training and some of the things you get put through is pretty heavy, mentally and physically.
I understand the point that ones own life out there is the most important thing.
But killing civilians, over 20 of them, when someone in an ambush kills one of your men.
From their point of view under stress, adrenaline and everything in between I can understand primal insticts taking over but going on a rampage is not how a Marine is trained to behave.
Out there your most valuable weapons are 1) having friends who's got your back and 2) keeping your head straight.
Number 2 clearly failed, hence the chaos.

SumUp:
I don't like the way this case has been treated.
I don't like the way trained soldiers acted in a situation they've been preparing for since the day they entered service.
I can understand how the situation got out of hands, but I still don't approve of it.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Although it's obviously a terrible thing, I have some sympathy for people who end up killing indiscriminantly after losing a squad member to a bomb and being fired upon.

Put me in that situation, and I can't promise you I wouldn't end up killing everyone I came across.

You stick troops in a warzone with lots of civilians around to fight an enemy they can't get to grips with...this is going to happen, you can't do much to stop it.
may that as it be there are still rules and laws even in war, and with america wanting to portrait themselves as the good guys they might have to - for once - actually stick to those rules. althought that would be a first

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
ChanTheNoob said:
actually, america is one of the only countries to not have signed the geneva convention
More accurately, it's because they have their own rules about military conduct, which differ from those of the conventions in several areas. The US has signed the Geneva convention, but the government has not ratified portions of it.