Kill la kill

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Jonluw said:
May we talk about it?
Sure, why not.
Am I the only one who is completely blown away by this?
You are probably not alone but I am not joining you in the blown away camp.
I can't wait to see where the story will be going as well. Considering these folks made Gurren Lagann, my hopes are high.
I actually heard of 'Kill la Kill' a while ago and it seemed interesting. More recently (but obviously before it aired) I found out it was by the same folks who made Gurren Lagann. For me, as someone who is in the minority(?) of not liking Gurren Lagann, this was a strike against it and the first episode was more or less what I expected. Right now it looks like Wikipedia and TVDB can't/don't agree on how many episodes it's going to run for but if it's more than 12 I'm probably not going to stick with it. Just not my thing (plus my anime backlog is growing unwieldy).
Everyone has different tastes, so I can understand if you don't like it.
However, for someone like me, this kind of thing being right up my alley, this show is mindblowingly brilliant. The animation in particular being something that seems like it seeped from the pores of Freya herself.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Jonluw said:
Hiya escapists.

So. This series.
May we talk about it?
Am I the only one who is completely blown away by this? Just by itself the insane animation quality and how unbelievably far they're drawing scale with it.
And just, the cinematography. The way they're setting scenes, and the universe they're building. Holy shit.
I can't wait to see where the story will be going as well. Considering these folks made Gurren Lagann, my hopes are high.
Blew my fuzzy little mind. Loved that shit, watched the first ep like 5 times now. Nicly paced, doesn't fuck around with the dialogue. Like the part where she breaks down, other anime would have had that scene go for half the damn epiosde, but nope, down a hole, discover pervy super powered uniform.

Plays on a lot of tropes, but thats what Trigger does. They have the tropes then the story goes off the deep end into 'what the fuck am I watching'. I'm hyped as shit.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Jonluw said:
There is no manga. There is a single episode of anime. How on in the seven hells can he even begin to write something like that? All he does is show off his vocabulary.

Calling Attack on Titan tiring? Are you joking? Kill la Kill never flirted with cancellation either, it just started.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
MrHide-Patten said:
Blew my fuzzy little mind.
Nice
Plays on a lot of tropes, but thats what Trigger does. They have the tropes then the story goes off the deep end into 'what the fuck am I watching'. I'm hyped as shit.
I really love the fact that they play on the tropes because there's so much more to it than that.
Like, they've taken the setting of "academy city" and decided that "what the hell" it might as well be ruled in the form of a Japanese high school, since that's pretty popular. Oh, and throw in a bit of shogun ruler structure.
This universe. It's juicy.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Eri said:
Jonluw said:
There is no manga. There is a single episode of anime. How on in the seven hells can he even begin to write something like that? All he does is show off his vocabulary.

Calling Attack on Titan tiring? Are you joking? Kill la Kill never flirted with cancellation either, it just started.
Say what you will about that review. It may be a tiny bit overwritten.

However, the way they're telling the story in this feels like something I haven't felt since I read Oyasumi Punpun.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Having now seen it I can't say I am impressed. It isn't really my "kind" of anime. Not so much the story, but the style of it. I prefer anime to be more "grounded" rather than ridiculously over the top. It reminds me of Bleach in a way, I only watched the first episode and was put off for similar reasons.

The fact that I don't like fan service, yet I feel the outfit the main character wears is probably the coolest part of the show, says a lot about how I feel about it. I also thought the art/animation was of pretty poor quality besides not being my kind of style.

Seeing as it is on Crunchyroll and is free to watch I may give it a chance and see what happens, but right now I am very "meh" towards it.

Eri said:
Calling Attack on Titan tiring? Are you joking?
I don't know, as much as I like it the amount of obvious padding in the anime adapation did drive me up the wall. I wish they'd kept it a little more concise like the manga, although I guess that'd mean they'd have caught up with it already.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Loved it. It's everything I wanted and more.

Not sure why OP mentioned it's animation quality; I thought it was the main thing that let it down. If you're looking for an example of a really well animated show, Kyoukai No Kanata just started airing too, and that looks really pretty.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Quicksilver_Phoenix said:
Loved it. It's everything I wanted and more.

Not sure why OP mentioned it's animation quality; I thought it was the main thing that let it down. If you're looking for an example of a really well animated show, Kyoukai No Kanata just started airing too, and that looks really pretty.
Kyoukai no kanata is well drawn and crisp. It has well-rendered models. Good resolution, so to speak.
Animation-wise though, I'd almost go so far as to say that Kill la kill is objectively superior.
Animation, in itself, is not the art of drawing clean and pretty-looking characters with shiny rotoscoped backgrounds. It's about bringing things to life. And that is the very thing that Trigger excels in. They show complete mastery of movement, fluidity and creativity. Every scene is so full of life I haven't seen anything like it since FLCL.

Will you honestly tell me that this:
or this:
Is not better animation than this:
Just because the latter has more detail, lensflares, and crisper surfaces?

Kill la kill embodies the very soul of the art of animation, and that's why I mention the animation quality. Because this show was made by genuine artists.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Twenty Ninjas said:
I watched Kill la Kill too. What a terrible name, by the way.

It's... alright, I guess? Never been a fan of japanese humor, with very few exceptions. The animation reminds me of Panty and Stocking somewhat (which was one of the exceptions)
Kill la Kill is actually being directed by the guy that made Panty and Stocking (and Gurren Lagann). And they have the guy who made FLCL as co-director.

OT: I've watched the first episode three times now. The quality can be a bit spotty at times, which is somewhat odd considering they have some of the best names in the business working on it. But, it's the incredibly stylized animation and over-the-top action I came for, and it most certainly did not disappoint. That scene at the beginning where the kid gets the goku uniform and gets his ass whooped by the huge guy was just perfect. Also, the ambiance in the show is off the charts. They've already created a world brimming with beautiful imagery, and I can't wait to see what they so with it.

Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release and dub k thnx anime of the year forever 12/1 gold stars

But, uh, calling it the Citizen Kane of anime is a bit of a stretch, considering it's only one week in to the show. ._. Besides, that title belongs to FLCL

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
The quality can be a bit spotty at times, which is somewhat odd considering they have some of the best names in the business working on it.
I figure what's most interesting about this show is that it's pretty much non-stop sakuga animation, whereas other shows will just hire a good key animator for key scenes. So in the parts where they have to save some time in the production, rather than just having the characters stand completely still with only their mouths moving (or any of the countless other tricks) they just draw things more simplistically while keeping the animation alive. Essentially, where a different show would retain drawing quality at the expense of the animation, Kill la kill retains the animation quality at the expense of detail and such in the drawings. Considering that Trigger consists of some of the very top animators in the industry, and watching them practice their art is what I wanted, I wholeheartedly agree with this decision. It makes for a difference I've noticed between this show and others: a lot of anime tends to feel like it dies between the key scenes, the rest of the scenes just being padding or exposition that cound have just been made in VN-style for all the difference it'd make, while Kill la kill feels more like one of those music videos that were shot in one take.
There's just something about it, like with flcl that makes me feel that the creators truly care about what they're making.
Also, the ambiance in the show is off the charts. They've already created a world brimming with beautiful imagery, and I can't wait to see what they so with it.
Absolutely.
But, uh, calling it the Citizen Kane of anime is a bit of a stretch, considering it's only one week in to the show. ._. Besides, that title belongs to FLCL
True. But, watching this anime, I can't help but notice that something just feels different. Something about the way the story is being told. And, references to Citizen Kane aside, I notice that feeling resonating with what that reviewer writes. i.e. I feel that they somewhat capture what's going on here (if you ignore what relates to the specifics of the show). Which is why I linked it. It might also have something to do with how every frame is composed with always fresh and interesting perspectives and close-ups.
You can't call it Citizen Kane, true. But I believe that if Trigger delivers on what they just showed us and pull the story in a flcl-ish direction, it might just end up being a deserved title.