Killer Instinct Update To Curb Rage Quits Via Jail Mode

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Killer Instinct Update To Curb Rage Quits Via Jail Mode

An upcoming update for Killer Instinct will send players who disconnect too much to "jail."

Double Helix Games will implement a curb to "rage quitting" in Killer Instinct when players frequently disconnect from a game because they think they're going to lose. When players have reached the set disconnect percentage, they are sent to "JAIL" for a limited time and can only be matched by other players in JAIL.

The plan was included in Double Helix Games' developer notes for the upcoming Spinal update. Players who have played in at least 10 matches who reach a disconnect percentage of at least 15% will be sent to JAIL for 24 hours, only fighting others in JAIL. Each time a player is sent to jail, the amount of time in JAIL increases by 24 hours, and its maximum duration is 5 days (120 hours). Players in jail will have their profile icons changed to a JAIL icon. This is removed once the JAIL duration is completed, but if players disconnect from a match with at least 15 percent disconnect percentage, it's back to the slammer. In addition, players who disconnect and get sent to JAIL will take a loss for that match.

A 15 percent is rather high, so it shouldn't affect any players who have a flakey internet connection that cuts out occasionally.

Other additions to the update include a new playable character, Meld informing the player of any updates upon Killer Instinct's startup, a leaderboards quick search, and an added practice mode position reset. There are also several general and character updates on the way.

Source: Double Helix Games [http://www.doublehelixgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-30-developer-notes-spinal-jail-system-and-fixes.7427/]

MazokuRanma

Oct 29, 2009
I think the only thing that could make this better is if all disconnects while in jail were treated as losses on your record. If you were enough of a jerk to get in jail in the first place, I don't care if you occasionally get an extra loss for a legitimate disconnect. If you're so bad that you have to resort to fake disconnects to build up your ratio, you were never going to have an impressive one to start with.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I don't rage quit. I just rage.

Then, when a game/match/fight is over, I face palm at my own inability to stay chill.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Alpha Maeko said:
I don't rage quit. I just rage.

Then, when a game/match/fight is over, I face palm at my own inability to stay chill.
That's pretty much me whenever I'm playing a shooter.

I get pretty tense, fire wildly, make an outline of an enemy in bullets, then get shot to pieces.

Occasionally I'll get a kill though.

More on topic, this is really a great system. I think this kind of matchmaking needs to be a more popular feature.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Eh. I prefer the Persona 4 Arena way. People who rage quit get their name written in red so people know who ragequits and who doesn't. This of course old works in a lobby though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
What in the fucking christ kind of solution is that, you plonk people in random matches they don't want to be in and then punish them if they leave? Are you completely and utterly brain dead...

Mark it as a loss if you must, but don't get stupid with backwards inventions.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
This works. I play a bunch of CS:GO and enjoy that system. And CS:GO gives you a ban after just 1 abandon! I personally feel this is a good thing and if you are going to get bent out of shape because you are getting stomped, then don't play. There will always be players better, the point is to keep playing and rank where your skill level is.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
Thank god. I'm so sick of people quitting on me and screwing me out of some rank up. Especially if they're a high rank, because you know exactly how they got it.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Wait...15% on 10 games is not a high number...it's 1 or 2. A flaky net connection could easily account for that, unless I am missing something.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Seracen said:
Wait...15% on 10 games is not a high number...it's 1 or 2. A flaky net connection could easily account for that, unless I am missing something.
There might be the odd new-player-with-flakey-connection that gets caught out, but once you hit tripple digits of games played (which won't take long, I'm guessing), only intentional DCers will get caught (If I were legitimately DCing >15% of the time, I would give up trying to play, not worth the frustration).

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Sounds like a good idea, but there is the possibility that it could go wrong or be abused by total assholes. But at least they're doing something about rage quitting rather than just ignore the problem like other game companies do. It's definitely one of those issues that needs to be addressed in order to make fighting games a more enjoyable experience.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fifteen percent isn't very high at all, if you look at player stats even in fighting games over ten percent is pretty average, in shooters and the like over fifteen is normal and for people with poor connection north of twenty (or even thirty) isn't uncommon.

Looking through my own stats, quits on games in progress hovers at about 20% across all my games, I try to play until ends of rounds, but real life or time constraints usually mean I have to stop when I have to stop and that's that.

Maybe they should take the route of recording every match left as two losses and every match where the opponent leaves as a victory. That way the stats protectors have an incentive to stay and take their lumps, as it is, prepare to go to JAIL Killer Instinct players!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Thank goodness for this.

Rage quits that actually reward the quitter (or even punish the person who was on the receiving end) are almost as big a black eye to the online modes of fighting games as bad online connectivity is. There are so many ways that this sort of garbage can be dealt with, many less elaborate than this Jail system, yet for some reason fighting game developers seem reluctant to really pursue them. I don't play the new KI now and I doubt I ever will, but Kudos to Double Helix for having the balls.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Mr.K. said:
What in the fucking christ kind of solution is that, you plonk people in random matches they don't want to be in and then punish them if they leave? Are you completely and utterly brain dead...

I haven't played KI but what do you mean "Matches they don't want to be in"? Don't you just search and it matches you? Isn't there only one kind of match?

And I think it's a fair punishment, find the people ruining the experience and chuck em all in a pile.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Mr.K. said:

Your statement makes no sense. By virtue of the fact that they joined the game, they want to play multiplayer. If they rage quit because they aren't winning, then that makes for a bad experience for their opponent. If they're disconnecting more than 15% of the time, it's because they're assholes and they should be punished for ruining their opponents experience. So mark it as a loss, and punish them for the disconnect as far as I'm concerned. They don't deserve to keep getting matched with people who don't rage quit when things don't go their way.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Fifteen percent isn't very high at all, if you look at player stats even in fighting games over ten percent is pretty average, in shooters and the like over fifteen is normal and for people with poor connection north of twenty (or even thirty) isn't uncommon.

Looking through my own stats, quits on games in progress hovers at about 20% across all my games, I try to play until ends of rounds, but real life or time constraints usually mean I have to stop when I have to stop and that's that.
Nothing personal, but if you are not finishing 20% of games maybe the problem is that you just don't have enough time for multiplayer games anymore.

OT: I don't play KI, but this is a good system. I really hope LoL implements something similar someday, the number of leavers is out of control in that game.

Jun 11, 2008
This is a terrible idea. Prison islands tend to work so well as to getting the people to stop being twats. They should just added that something more along the lines of if a person leaves while their health and their opponents are above and below certain thresholds enough times. Games start counting as losses if they continue. Admittedly, not an overly better solution but this is punishment not going to help. They will just serve their time and go back to doing again this time less so they don't end up in gaol.

Jun 11, 2008
major_chaos said:
OT: I don't play KI, but this is a good system. I really hope LoL implements something similar someday, the number of leavers is out of control in that game.
They never will as they've already stated countless times that they think the idea of a prisoner island for leavers and toxic players is a bad idea and doesn't solve problems. If you want to know what they plan to do and try in terms of stuff like this look for Lyte [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Jeffrey_'Lyte'_Lin]are w on the lol discussions.

Edit: Or rather they have stated that they no plans to introduce such a system.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Welcome to the new generation of nanny-state gaming, children!

If you fuss too much the game nannies put you in time out! From the makers of games who punish you for swearing too much under the ever watchful eye of Nanny Kinect.

They're wasting time and resources on 'jails' when all they need is to count frequent disconnects as losses. You could avoid this by not buying the new gen consoles, but that would be just silly.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
How is this even a problem? If you're making a game that's going to even border on competitive, shouldn't you be accounting for people ragequitting in the first place? I don't care whether you're putting them in the time-out corner or in the room with the rest of the rage-quitteres, this shit should have been anticipated in the first place.