Killzone Dev Says PS4 "A Lot More Demanding"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
y'know, when I hear crap like this it makes me believe that developers are really just wasting money on useless crap in order to show off. It really reeks of insecurity

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Korten12 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Well, it's a generic sci-fi FPS. It doesn't have much going for it other than visuals. So maybe it's time to make some original games that will use that power and ease of access for more than just pretty graphics.
So no one played KZ2 or 3 for the gameplay? Just the visuals? Huh, the more you know...
You can play a game for any number of reasons, doesn't mean it'll be a good time. And from what I've played of the Killzone games, playing it for the gameplay isn't really a good time.
It did look kinda pretty at times though.
Actually the gameplay is the main reason why I play Killzone. It's one of the few Sci-Fi shooters that has weight to the gunplay and I like that.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
StewShearer said:
"the production effort needed just to make a next-gen title now is not doubled; It's quadrupled."
Take note everyone: this is the day that we had confirmation that AAA development will be all but dead by the end of this console generation.

On the plus side, indie development is going to be bigger than ever.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Hagi said:
No it isn't you dolt!

You don't HAVE to use every bit of processing power and memory available. You don't HAVE to cram in bazillions of polygons. You don't HAVE to create the biggest selling game of all time. You don't HAVE to appeal to everyone and their dog.

Just create a cool game. It's okay if it's not using every processor cycle as long as the gameplay's good. It doesn't have to use every byte of memory as long as the maps and world are fun and interesting. It doesn't have to do as many FLOPS as the GPU is capable of as long as it looks cool.

There's no increased technical requirements. The PS4 won't cease operation of your game if it's not rendering thousands of HD models every single frame. Nothing bad happens if you're not spending at least 20% of all your processing power simulating the exact flight path of every single bullet.

Seriously, just stop. Don't go spending more millions you damn well know you're not going to earn back and then decide it's a failure because you couldn't make as much profit as CoD whilst blaming everyone but yourself. Just stop.
This is a person who knows.

It's not like Halo got more fun when they gave it a coat of HD paint. It was already fun. It's not like Saints Row 2 wasn't amazing or GTA5 or Ratchet and Clank or (pick your favorite current gen title).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
What I hear is: We are now preparing ourselves for a PC port. I can't wait.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Hagi said:
No it isn't you dolt!

You don't HAVE to use every bit of processing power and memory available. You don't HAVE to cram in bazillions of polygons. You don't HAVE to create the biggest selling game of all time. You don't HAVE to appeal to everyone and their dog.

Just create a cool game. It's okay if it's not using every processor cycle as long as the gameplay's good. It doesn't have to use every byte of memory as long as the maps and world are fun and interesting. It doesn't have to do as many FLOPS as the GPU is capable of as long as it looks cool.

There's no increased technical requirements. The PS4 won't cease operation of your game if it's not rendering thousands of HD models every single frame. Nothing bad happens if you're not spending at least 20% of all your processing power simulating the exact flight path of every single bullet.

Seriously, just stop. Don't go spending more millions you damn well know you're not going to earn back and then decide it's a failure because you couldn't make as much profit as CoD whilst blaming everyone but yourself. Just stop.
This is a person who knows.

It's not like Halo got more fun when they gave it a coat of HD paint. It was already fun. It's not like Saints Row 2 wasn't amazing or GTA5 or Ratchet and Clank or (pick your favorite current gen title).
Hell, when they gave a coat of HD to Halo, it got WORSE due to severe frame drops on split screen (Some people still play split screen, hell, its the only way I can enjoy it).
Part of me still really hopes they give Halo 2 an HD overhaul. That's the one that really could benefit from it. They were pushing the old Xbox so hard that it had those weird pop-ins and since the Arbiter didn't have a lamp like the Chief, all those long dark Flood levels were so hard to navigate.

Of course I know a lot of people want Halo 2 multiplayer to return too, but I kinda feel like I played enough of that back when it was new. Still, it'd be nice to play the entire Halo trilogy with a similar graphical style.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I don't really understand the 4x more effort. Why can't they just run normally created textures(no longer downscaled for 256 vram) crank up the framerate, run in native 1080 throw in some effects and be done w/ it.

Take the game move the sliders to "ultra" boom your running a next gen game. I mean yeah theres a lot more you can do w/ the HW bigger levels more ai on screen etc. but idk about 4x the effots worth.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Irridium said:
You know, I remember people telling me that costs this gen will go down or at least stay flat because the hardware is easier to develop for and there will be engines made to help make things easier.

I really wish there were right :(
That's assuming competent developers with reasonable management.

Which we all know is pretty fucking unlikely.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not surprised actually, but it's certainly proof that we're putting too much money into making the game look nice as opposed to improving things of the previous games.

Hell, when they gave a coat of HD to Halo, it got WORSE due to severe frame drops on split screen (Some people still play split screen, hell, its the only way I can enjoy it).
This so much. Once Reach and 4 happened I started experiencing lag like I'd never done before in the series. Call me old fashioned but Halo 3's graphics looked nice enough to support them, and didn't give characters these horrendous faces.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hagi said:
RicoADF said:
To be fair Killzone is a Sony game, it's made to show the system off and sell units. So it'd go the extra mile to look amazing in trailers etc to show what the system can do.
If the devs want to do that then that's fine.

But it's a choice they made. It's not something next-gen forced on to them, it's not a demand.

The PS4 does not quadruple the production effort. Developers themselves may choose to quadruple the production effort if they so wish. But it's a choice they make themselves, and if quadrupling their production efforts does not lead to an equal increase in sales then they also have none to blame but themselves.
I agree it's dumb to waste so much money especially when its often not even noticeable. They need to learn to be more realistic with their budgets and stop wasting it. That said I was theorising as to why Killzone would have gone so overboard, it's a Sony game and they use their games (As Microsoft does theirs on the Xbox) to show the system off for what it can do.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Really? I've played three player split screen in Halo Reach and only encounter lag when I spawn tons of physics objects in forge. Halo 4 of course I go down to 15fps in two player split screen constantly in multiplayer.
I encounter it in Reach more often than 3 but not as much as 4, usually if I play on Forge World as a whole. Though in all fairness to Reach, 3 was quite good in terms of framerate.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Korten12 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Korten12 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Well, it's a generic sci-fi FPS. It doesn't have much going for it other than visuals. So maybe it's time to make some original games that will use that power and ease of access for more than just pretty graphics.
So no one played KZ2 or 3 for the gameplay? Just the visuals? Huh, the more you know...
You can play a game for any number of reasons, doesn't mean it'll be a good time. And from what I've played of the Killzone games, playing it for the gameplay isn't really a good time.
It did look kinda pretty at times though.
Actually the gameplay is the main reason why I play Killzone. It's one of the few Sci-Fi shooters that has weight to the gunplay and I like that.
I'll second that. Killzone feels totally different from the other shooters out there, and I love it.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I was reading in Edge about this new engine that Ubi, I think, are using. Developments in that area mean actually LESS people are needed. I think The Crew is being made by 200 or so people, whereas it should be about 600 for conventional programming methods. I can't really remember the details but its to do with being able to make changes within the game, and seeing it in real-time, not having to render it over and over. Assets that would take a week take just one day. Maybe Guerrilla should get some of that, if they haven't already.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
No, that's not the console being more demanding. That's the development team artificially increasing their efforts by four times to try and take more advantage of the available space without any concern for a budget. That's them being dumb.

That being said, with a new platform that means that new engines will have to be developed. So the first time you develop an engine for a console it will always be a lot more work. But then for the next game you just update the existing engine and you can lease your engine out to smaller development studios.

Either way, video games are exactly as demanding as your budget demands. Not more. If it's too demanding you don't do the work.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
and people wonder why and complain that the Wii U is so underpowered compared to the PS4/XBone... this right here is reason enough.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Keiichi Morisato said:
and people wonder why and complain that the Wii U is so underpowered compared to the PS4/XBone... this right here is reason enough.
Because developers can't control the scope of their projects in relation to a budget? Haha, no, that's individual studios that deserve to lose money. At least their games can fit on the ps4/xbone.