Killzone Devs Pushed for Curved Triggers on DualShock 4

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Issurru said:
Looks like I'm in the minority, I don't like this controller or the 360 controller either. I loved the old dualshock controllers and find the 360 controller rather uncomfortable to hold and don't like the dpad and analog stick being moved around. Sure hope they make a "classic" controller for the ps4 or something akin to that.
Albeit my complaint isn't worth much since I don't really play console games anyway, this generation is the only one I'll be sitting and waiting instead of just rushing out and buying everything within a week of it launching
You are never the only one, i also rather liked the old dualshock controllers.

Durrsly

Feb 13, 2013
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
Too bad nobody could get Sony to fix their d-pad, though.
What..? Doesn't everyone consider Sony's D-pad superior to the 360?
The d-pad on the 360 controller is unusably bad. Can't argue there. I still don't think the ones Sony uses have ever been good though, just less bad. The split in the center (rather than having it be a single, continuous piece, i.e. a solid plus/cross shape like Nintendo's have always been) makes my thumb sore after using it for a while, and I even got blisters from the d-pad on the original PSX controllers once or twice. If they'd just close the gap between the segments, it'd make me much happier. It's already much more accurate than the crappy disc ones MS uses, but it could be a bit more comfortable to use.
I don't know about you, but I found the Playstation D-Pad perfect for fighting games.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Durrsly said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
The d-pad on the 360 controller is unusably bad. Can't argue there. I still don't think the ones Sony uses have ever been good though, just less bad. The split in the center (rather than having it be a single, continuous piece, i.e. a solid plus/cross shape like Nintendo's have always been) makes my thumb sore after using it for a while, and I even got blisters from the d-pad on the original PSX controllers once or twice. If they'd just close the gap between the segments, it'd make me much happier. It's already much more accurate than the crappy disc ones MS uses, but it could be a bit more comfortable to use.
I don't know about you, but I found the Playstation D-Pad perfect for fighting games.
Hehe remember the ORIGINAL dpad on the Nintendo? That fucker cut your fingers till you grew a section of rough skin to toughen up. But you could stomp the damn thing and it would keep working.

Durrsly

Feb 13, 2013
slash2x said:
Hehe remember the ORIGINAL dpad on the Nintendo? That fucker cut your fingers till you grew a section of rough skin to toughen up. But you could stomp the damn thing and it would keep working.
The whole controller dug into your hands.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Curved triggers, headphone jack, indented analog sticks...

So... basically it's more like the Xbox 360 controller now then?

About bloody time. I have a preference for my 360 as a console simply because it has the superior controller.
Oh so very much this - all they need to do is switch the left analogue with the D-pad and we're laughing :)

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Durrsly said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Korten12 said:
mjc0961 said:
In terms of controlling well, definitely, but something about sliding across the gap in the center is just kind of rough on my thumb compared to other designs. Nothing's really been quite the same since the SNES though, when the focus got taken off it and put into the analog sticks instead.

Stick Antolini

Jun 3, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I could be wrong as I am working off a shoddy memory but I believe Nintendo owns the patent on the cross shaped d-pad and that's why no other consoles use it.

Also I noticed something awhile ago, the biggest disconnect between the PS3 and X-Box controllers is in the way you hold it, the PlayStation controller is meant to be gripped just at the base of your fingers having your thumbs naturally fall on the sticks while the X-Box you grasp it in the palm of your hand which places your thumbs up to bulgy areas also known as where the X-Box has it's stick. Trying to hold the controller with the others grip, leads to very uncomfortable experience, I believe that to be the main reason why X-box players hate the PlayStation controller and vice-versa. I find it more believable than 90% of people on the internet hands are too big for the PlayStation Controller.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Stick Antolini said:
I could be wrong as I am working off a shoddy memory but I believe Nintendo owns the patent on the cross shaped d-pad and that's why no other consoles use it.
They did indeed have a patent on it, but it expired in 2005. I have no explanation for the Dreamcast controller, which had a Nintendo-style d-pad, unless the internals were different in some way I don't know about (I've never taken one apart to see how it works).