Killzone: Shadow Fall Review

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
That was a very well-written review. Much higher standard than I am used to seeing on The Escapist. I'm glad you're making this your home now, Jim.

lazyhoboguy

Nov 15, 2013
Yay Jim reviewed the new Killzone. Sad at dtoid not having Jim there for the review. I finally made an escapist account so I can comment on Jim articles now ha. This game sounds like more good killzone fun with slight changes. I'm up for that once I finally get a PS4 a couple years from now. Ew though, really am not looking forward to hearing helghast with american voices.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
lazyhoboguy said:
Yay Jim reviewed the new Killzone. Sad at dtoid not having Jim there for the review. I finally made an escapist account so I can comment on Jim articles now ha. This game sounds like more good killzone fun with slight changes. I'm up for that once I finally get a PS4 a couple years from now. Ew though, really am not looking forward to hearing helghast with american voices.
Welcome to the Escapist! :)

OT: I never got around to picking up Killzone 3 and I still don't know if it's worth it or not. But I did enjoy the look and feel of the previous Killzone games. Good to see Guerilla having a decent kick-off. Might pick this up when I eventually get a PS4.

Also: good review, Jim. Nice to have you here.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
May need to borrow my roommates playstation and get caught up on Killzone. Loved 1 and 2 back when they came out, but have switched to PC years ago and the price of new systems has kept me from picking up a console just to have access to non-pc games. *sigh* What I wouldn't give for some of these Sony exclusives to be ported to PC.

Love ya Jim, I've always watched your show and am glad you're doing reviews on here now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This comes with my bundle, for free, so I guess I can't complain really. I really like the KZ series, and I am quite interested in playing it with this "new angle" on the universe.

Oh, and yeah, jumping on the bandwagon here but....fuck Rico!

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
A quick question; Does this iteration of Killzone have the same type of control scheme that makes you feel like you are fighting the controller or that it's non-intuitive? This reason is why I could just never get into the Killzone series. I realize button remapping happened for KZ3 to offset some of it, but still why would a dev have the default button to fire your weapon on R1?

That said, I've always found the Killzone's art and art direction to be interesting and quite pleasant. However, the games control layout and scheme has pretty much always been jarring and pulled me right out of the game with the above mentioned feeling of fighting the controller.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry.
My thoughts exactly. Once you get past the "realism" angle of CoD nothing's stopping KillZone from being as decent a shooter as Halo can be.

james.sponge said:
Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-
I thought AssCreed4 looked good?

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry.
My thoughts exactly. Once you get past the "realism" angle of CoD nothing's stopping KillZone from being as decent a shooter as Halo can be.

james.sponge said:
Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-
I thought AssCreed4 looked good?
I agree, but some of us will get it on PC when it comes out. I wanted to see more exclusive games, sony always had a problem with strong launch titles (psx, ps2 and ps3 are no exception). You'd think they learn anything from their past -.-

As for KillZone remember that the first game, although good, wasn't nearly as popular as Halo at the time, sony wanted to create Halo alternative and they kinda failed. So even though each subsequent KZ game was much better old impressions remained. And that old scam with KZ CGI trailer certainly didn't help to improve that:p.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I've never been interested in Kill Zone before and I only thought about getting this game for the ps4 for some good old fashioned scifi, fps, eye candy. But I think I'll give 2 and 3 a try first now that I know the series has a campaign worth caring about

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I certainly remember when Killzone was the next big thing in shooters. I tried it out, and I couldn't shake the feeling that my character had his feet trapped in a children's pool of peanut butter. Glob glob glob glob shoot the helghast. billed as a "halo killer" at the time, it certainly wasn't. I am not surprised that it ends up being functional yet not particularly memorable.

Hey remember Indigo Dingo? Thats a guy that LOVED some Killzone 3.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Hmm, looks like a solid game. Unfortunately, as I don't care for MP, an 8 hour campaign is not enough to justify $60.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I'll admit I'm a little more interested in the series after hearing they had updated the setting. Since we're no longer in "Attack of the British Space Nazis", and now in the "Cold War parable" phase of things. If they actually made the Helghast act less like red eyed demons then that's a very positive and surprising step.

I'm still having trouble finding any footage of your character fighting non space Nazis though...

jut22

Aug 5, 2013
This is showing as a 70 on Metacritic. Killer Instinct got a 3.5 on this site too and its an 80 on Metacritic.

Edit: I emailed them. Looks like they changed both to 70 now.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I really liked the game so far (about 3/4 done I'm assuming. My main issue is the trying to find stuff. I'm glad it doesn't just shove stuff in your face like COD or Halo. It's neat to explore around some. However, the one marker that give you blends in and is sometimes hard to see against the amazing scenery. that and...

{whoever designed the free fall mission on to Helghan needs to be given a stern talking too... just glide till something kinda happens}

lazyhoboguy

Nov 15, 2013
GundamSentinel said:
lazyhoboguy said:
Welcome to the Escapist! :)

OT: I never got around to picking up Killzone 3 and I still don't know if it's worth it or not. But I did enjoy the look and feel of the previous Killzone games. Good to see Guerilla having a decent kick-off. Might pick this up when I eventually get a PS4.

Also: good review, Jim. Nice to have you here.
Thanks for the welcome. Killzone 3 had a fun singleplayer, but be prepared the story has some awfuly stupid moments in it. At least they tame Rico a bit and he's not quite as annoying. Multiplayer is fun, fixed a few problems from Killzone 2. Still bothers me that there is no spawn invincibility though. Getting spawn trapped happens way to often and it's been a problem since they patched Killone 2 and took out the second or two spawn invincibility. Think they really need to bring that back.