Killzone: Shadow Fall Sells Over Two Million Units

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Killzone: Shadow Fall Sells Over Two Million Units

Accounting for both physical and digital sales, Sony has announced that Killzone: Shadow Fall on the PS4 has managed to shift over two million in sales worldwide.

In a press release sent today, Sony has announced that combining both digital and physical sales, Guerilla Games' debut shooter on the PlayStation 4 -- Killzone: Shadow Fall -- has managed to sell over 2.1 million units worldwide.

"I am thrilled that so many users have been enjoying Killzone: Shadow Fall since the launch of PS4," states Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, and adds, "This title fully embraces the creativity of the development team at Guerrilla Games based in the Netherlands, and is a great representation of what SCE WWS has to offer. SCE will continue to deliver exciting software titles, and is currently developing more than 30 titles including Driveclub, inFAMOUS: Second Son and The Order: 1886 which offer entertainment experiences only possible on PS4."

Killzone: Shadow Fall introduces players to a new chapter of the Killzone saga on the ISA's stronghold, Planet Vekta. Gamers play as Lucas Kellan, an elite soldier/intelligence officer of the Vektan Government who faces various challenges to stop the terrorist group Black Hand from destroying the planet.

The shooter will add a clan system next month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131529-Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Adding-Clan-System-in-February], with Guerilla Games also releasing two free multiplayer maps for users in the near future.

Congrats, Guerilla! For those who've played the shooter, how is it holding up? Can it finally be Sony's answer Halo?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
From what I've heard, Shadow Fall is mediocre, even by the standards if a mediocre franchise like Killzone.
Oh well, I guess when a system only has one shooter...

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Shocksplicer said:
From what I've heard, Shadow Fall is mediocre, even by the standards if a mediocre franchise like Killzone.
You don't count Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts as shooters? o_O

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Alex Co said:
Shocksplicer said:
You don't count Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts as shooters? o_O
"Exclusive" was implied, smarty-pants.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
"Exclusive" was implied, smarty-pants.
You just said it only had one shooter, he was right to correct you since you didn't say exclusive nor did you indicate it in any form.

OT: Glad to hear their happy with the sales, I've enjoyed playing it so far and will definitely give it another run. Although I will need to play some AC4 first (too many games not enough free time)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I found the line in the article "do they finally have an answer to halo" quite excellent.

By my reading, killzone is still trying to answer the original halo. Haha! BURN

To be fair, I haven't played console shooters at all since probably Halo 2. During my hour or so with the KZ franchise, I was struck that it seemed my character was attempting to move about the battlefield drenched in peanutbutter. Sluggish and mediocre is how I characterized it.

I wish them luck with whatever iteration this is!

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Killzone is a great series, highly underrated IMO. Not that I'm very high on FPS, but it certainly beats CoD in my book.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Woo, strong evidence for a sequel! Perhaps one purely from the Helghast perspective! LIKE EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING THEY WANT!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
2 million? That's not 6585 billion! Franchise cancelled! Shooters are dead! fire the devs! Release daily DLC to compensate! Put DRM on all our other games!

... I kinda wonder how 2 million is bad, but now its good. I mean, publishers spent the last 5 years talking about how anything less than 5 million is bankruptcy. Yet they call 2 million a success after 5 years of saying that isn't the case.

I swear, Sheogorath has more consistency than the game industry. And he had multiple personalities.
Didnt Tomb Raider or Hitman need like 5 million units, and those were last gen games where now with this gen Capcom says its 10 times the work. I have a strong feeling that no one really knows whats going on and are just winging at it.

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
The game is pretty decent. The single player is kind of boring. It´s one of the few games I own that I havn´t finished, but the MP is great.

I really wish more games had their map packs for free like this one. It really sucks that they break up the player base just to make a couple extra bucks. I make it a point to never buy MP focused games that charge for extra maps.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well good for Guerrilla. I've always liked the Killzone series, but I do wish that Sony would stop touting it as the Halo Killer. That's what got the franchise all the bad press to begin with. Guerrilla has gone on record saying that they never intended to compete with Halo or Microsoft, that was entirely Sony's doing.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
I've heard some people say it's mediocre, and I've heard others say it's a great game (I may be biased though since I've enjoyed all the KZ games including this recent one).
It does have some issues, but the amazing world and story is what made the game great for me.