Kim Dotcom Gets His Stuff Back

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I am rooting for this guy so hard. This entire story is the very picture of how utterly corrupt and terrifyingly powerful American companies have become, the fact that Dotcom is managing to stand up to these corporate thugs just turns it from a horror story to an inspiring story. I hope this gives the assholes in suits a blunt reminder that they don't rule the world just yet.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
mKeRix said:
Steven Bogos said:
Typo alert!

tosee
The irony :D

Anyway the man did really nothing wrong. This is once again the disgusting mentality that most American companies have that their laws apply anywhere. According to New Zeeland law from where he operates he has not committed anything to warrant investigation.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Scribblesense said:
US and NZ authorities jumped the gun here, and no doubt broke international regulations, but I don't think they were in the wrong.
If they broke international regulations, then they were in the wrong.
You mean to say you don't think Dotcom is in the right, correct?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
It makes me wonder how much my own government put its foot on the authority apparatus in NZ to pressure the large scale raid. I'm certainly suspicious of it, and I am not even the conspiratorial type. At least we live in free enough societies where there is recourse for police overreach.

mKeRix said:
Steven Bogos said:
Typo alert!
I'm glad tosee that he finally gets his stuff back though, maybe he can really fulfill the promise he made when he launched Mega: get every paying customer his data back.
Seriously, please send typo alerts in personal messages to the news article author. There are no grammar nazi points, especially when your typo alert contains typos.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
While it was a giant clusterfuck by the police, I'm not really stoked about him getting his stuff back. Megaupload/video was super scummy and was a portal to massive amounts of piracy; which honestly really needs to just stay down. Granted tons of other people just stepped up to take his place, he still was one of the biggest if not the biggest offender.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The guy is still an up himself scumbag, he's committed a ton of crimes in the past, fraud, embezzlement, that sort of thing. The number plate on one of his cars that he used most was "God" for crying out loud, pays tens millions to rent his mansion each year, was made a citizen here due to his money, so was able to bypass a lot of legal tape etc. He's the kind of man who lives a life of luxury due to his crimes and the money he's got committing them, he's totally a good guy... I hope he gets what's coming to him one day.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
ciasteczkowyp said:
The sad part is that citizens of New Zealand will pay for police incompetence and corruption and not the police officers themselves.
the REAL sad part is we continue to pay for incompetent police forces globally, but honestly what's the alternative?

self regulation simply wont happen, and local law ( read: mafia, and anything unregulated basically ) whilst viciously enforced at times is still more corrupt, backwards and plain evil.

and what do the police officers have to do with it? if they receive orders to seize property they follow them, the legal documents aren't handed out to the entire force you know.

it was a high level clerical error that due process was somehow ignored as far as i'm aware ( could be wrong! )
either way, punishing police officers won't do anything they were just doing as they were told.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
While I'm not wild about exactly how he made his money, I am happy that he scored a win for due process and privacy concerns.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Roander said:
I'm not familiar with New Zealand law but if it was taken illegally shouldn't they have to give all of it back, regardless of relevance to their case? A judge allowing them to keep anything implies that it's legal for them to have it, which implies that it was legal for them to take it in the first place.

Seems a reasonable assumption. I guess NZ law enforcement is too busy gagging on the taste of American jackboots to think clearly.