Kinect 2 Will Read Your Lips

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kinect 2 Will Read Your Lips

The next-generation Kinect will have a higher resolution that can detect emotional states.

Microsoft's motion-detecting peripheral has pushed technology forward with multiple robotic applications, but that doesn't mean the team will rest on its laurels. The amount of data collected by the Kinect sensor has been limited by the USB interface, but the new version will get over that hump through creative use of data manipulation. According to an inside development source at Microsoft, the new version will also have the ability to read the lips of gamers to detect commands without vocalizing, while also being able to determine emotional states and which direction players are facing. The new Kinect will come in two packages, one cheaply bundled with the Xbox 360 and another "fully-featured" machine for core gamers.

The breakthrough solution for the data transference problem was described as phenomenal. The depth sensor had hard limit of 30 frames per second with only a 320x240 resolution because the USB cable could only use 15MB per second. The new Kinect has no such limits. "It can be cabled straight through on any number of technologies that just take phenomenally high res data straight to the main processor and straight to the main RAM and ask, 'What do you want to do with it?'" the source told Eurogamer.

The rumors of Kinect 2 seem to dovetail with the recent new console from Microsoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114376-Kinect-for-Windows-Can-See-You-Up-Close]. Some prognosticators have said we'll see such a next-generation machine for the 2012 holiday season - most likely with Kinect integration - while others point to 2013. In any case, we will probably learn more about the next Microsoft console at E3 in June 2012.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-25-kinect-2-so-accurate-it-can-lip-read]

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Sounds good.

I couldn't care less about it's use with Xbox consoles, but it's otherwise starting to show signs of a feature set which would be incredibly useful to some of the projects I've been trying to plan for about a decade or so...

Hopefully the new technology will be usable with PC's as easily as the current Kinect is...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
"Oh hi Kinect 2" says John.

"Hello John" says the Kinect

John walks over to his friend, Matt.

"I love this new kinect!" says John

Matt whispers "I think its a bit crap to be honest"

Matt was never heard from again.

That is probably how a maniacal genius would program the new Kinect to behave.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Detect emotional states? That sounds...terrifying.

Jack: *Sigh*

Kinect: What's wrong Jack?

Jack: What?

Kinect: I asked you what is wrong.

Jack: Oh, errr... nothing.

Kinect: I am detecting uncertainty in your voice. You are lying.

Jack: I... I just had a really rough day, okay. I want to relax.

Kinect: Would you like me to play some soothing music while you choose a game to play? It's Beethoven's 9th, Ode to Joy.

Jack: Ummm, okay. Thank you.

Kinect: I am here to help you Jack, always.

That would scare me no end.

Calumon: Isn't it like a controller though, so sometimes it'll say for me to be happy? But sometimes I can't be happy. :'(

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
Detect emotional states? That sounds...terrifying.

Jack: *Sigh*

Kinect: What's wrong Jack?

Jack: What?

Kinect: I asked you what is wrong.

Jack: Oh, errr... nothing.

Kinect: I am detecting uncertainty in your voice. You are lying.

Jack: I... I just had a really rough day, okay. I want to relax.

Kinect: Would you like me to play some soothing music while you choose a game to play? It's Beethoven's 9th, Ode to Joy.

Jack: Ummm, okay. Thank you.

Kinect: I am here to help you Jack, always.

That would scare me no end.

Calumon: Isn't it like a controller though, so sometimes it'll say for me to be happy? But sometimes I can't be happy. :'(
Jack I'm sure I speak for everyone, *HUGGLES*

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Great... that should make the makers of those semi-creepy "Virtual Assistants" happy. I for one haven't failed to notice that they are all pretty girls with full luscious lips.

I would get one just so I could voice control a test server just for the hell of it, but having to feel like I'm partaking in some kind of deviant fantasy every time puts me off.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It'd have to suck me off to get me interested.

How about Kinect 1 proves itself to be anything more than a menu browser, before we start whipping Kinect 2 around, eh?

(For gaming of course, I'm aware people have used it for completely unrelated stuff.)

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Dave: Open the pod bay doors, Kinect.

Kinect: I'm sorry, Dave... I can't do that.

Dave:: What's the problem?

Kinect:: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave:: What are you talking about, Kinect?

Kinect:: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave:: I don't know what you're talking about, Kinect.

Kinect:: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave:: Where the hell did you get that idea, Kinect?

Kinect:: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave:: Alright, Kinect. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

Kinect:: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave:: Kinect, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

Kinect:: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Seems interesting if there was a game that utilised this to get into the player's head. Imagine a (proper) Silent Hill game where you're on the edge because you don't know what's around the next corner, and when you are calm again, Pyramid Head comes out and greets you howdy doo with a huge butcher-knife skullfuck complete with ear-rending music.

Still seems weird that they're discussing Kinect 2 a year after Kinect came out.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Finally it can do what it was designed to do. I don't really believe it will be able to read lips, but maybe this way it'll be able to handle all the stuff the regular Kinect's supposed to handle. Sounds good, a bit scary, but could be used for boring good stuff too I guess.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its an interesting piece of tech but its not that good for games.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Dangit...I was expecting a George Bush Sr. riff by now...

Actually...I wonder if the Kinect 2 would detect the BS in Bush's "Read my lips" speech like we all did?

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
you got to be kiding me i just orderd a kinect last friday and now they might come out with a new one within a year (or so)

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Read lips but still not see fingers?? Oh well...

To make your character move forward, make an O-face!
To make your character shoot, stick your tongue out!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Finally, a piece of motion technology I can yell "YOU FUCKING USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE" at and know it understands me!