Kinect for Windows Can See You Up Close

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Kinect for Windows Can See You Up Close

Kinect is on its way to Windows with USB connectivity, a close-range camera, and a new initiative to help budding developers.

The Kinect has had a few fun games, but the really exciting Kinect applications have had Kinect for Windows [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114115-Japan-Builds-Kinect-Powered-Seeing-Eye-Robot-Dog]. This PC peripheral is not for games, but for educational, entrepreneurial, and scientific purposes. This developer-centric device will offer USB connectivity, a camera that can track motion at arm's length, a full software development kit (SDK), and a program to give grants and tools to aspiring developers.

Craig Eisler, the general manager for Kinect for Windows, explained the Kinect's new features and initiatives in the Microsoft Developer's Network blog. "[We] have optimized certain hardware components and made firmware adjustments which better enable PC-centric scenarios," he writes. "Of particular interest to developers will be the new firmware which enables the depth camera to see objects as close as 50 centimeters in front of the device without losing accuracy or precision." Any gamer who has a Kinect for the Xbox 360 set up in his or her living room knows that you generally have to stand pretty far away [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_278/8271-Make-Room-for-Kinect] for the games to work properly. For reference, 50 centimeters is less than 20 inches - your face is probably more than 20 inches from your computer screen right now.

Developers who want to play with the Kinect should also take note: Microsoft is willing to give you a lot of money. "The Kinect Accelerator [initiative] will give 10 tech-oriented companies using Kinect (on either Windows or Xbox360 [sic]) an investment of $20,000 each, plus a number of other great perks." Eisler does not detail these "other great perks" just yet, but with an improved SDK, $20,000, and a PC-friendly Kinect, a savvy developer could put something pretty cool on the market.

The debate about the Kinect as a viable hardcore gaming platform is still raging in internet forums everywhere, but the device has definitely proven its utility elsewhere. Kinect for Windows is set to launch in "early 2012," so get ready to lean in close to your PC and control things with your mind. What? The brain sending signals to your hands still counts as your mind.

Source: MSDN Blogs [http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2011/11/22/kinect-for-windows-building-the-future.aspx]

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Kinect for Windows? Sounds cool. I had always kind of wanted to hack a kinect or something just to play around controlling my pc with it.

DVS BSTrD said:
You know what also works great with computers? Keyboard controls and a Mouse!
Yeah, but it could make a cool toy, at least.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Now make a console version that doesn't require a regulation football field!

DVS BSTrD said:
You know what also works great with computers? Keyboard controls and a Mouse!
The devil, you say!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
This is kinda cool, actually. Potentially like Minority Report on an actual computer. The coolest thing about the Kinect was all those nifty hacks random people made, and this could make those a lot easier. Be a while before it is useful for a user like myself but still, good use of the kinect.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Xanadu84 said:
This is kinda cool, actually. Potentially like Minority Report on an actual computer.
True, but I think I'll contain my excitement until they produce the hologram screens to go with it.
Basically this.

Unfortunately, until that happens, I wont be enticed to spend the 150 bucks for one.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Read: Microsoft gives up on marketing Kinect as a gaming device, tries to entice the business and research worlds.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
It seems kind of interesting to me. I might consider buying the kinect to tool around with it, although not right away (try to get it on the cheap).

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Because nothing says "Professional Office Environment" like seeing office workers flailing their arms like deranged chickens to enter data into Excel.

Seriously though, what functionality could Kinect add that the touch screens of my offices new computers can't?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Otaku World Order said:
Because nothing says "Professional Office Environment" like seeing office workers flailing their arms like deranged chickens to enter data into Excel.

Seriously though, what functionality could Kinect add that the touch screens of my offices new computers can't?
Well that's exactly what Microsoft is doing,giving incentives to people to develop for it. Also what's with the "flailing hands to enter data" couldn't you just like talk? Or if you insist on typing I don't think it would be that hard to develop an "invisible" keyboard since it says how good the accuracy is now(20 inches).

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
HAHA! Now Microsoft can spy on you while you wank to whatever weird fetish pronz you might be into.

I only see this having GREAT use in schools, and mediocre use in places like interactive advertising and the like.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Cenequus said:
Well that's exactly what Microsoft is doing,giving incentives to people to develop for it. Also what's with the "flailing hands to enter data" couldn't you just like talk? Or if you insist on typing I don't think it would be that hard to develop an "invisible" keyboard since it says how good the accuracy is now(20 inches).
Since there's already voice recognition software and PC microphones available, what's the point of Kinect for that purpose? That's my main question: What does Kinect add that doesn't already exist in one form or another besides motion sensing (i.e. flailing)?

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see anything to get excited about with this.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
That's why Kinect is so great for Microsoft, the technology can be used in products outside the Xbox 360, and probably even outside gaming. And good technology equals good money...

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
This is a good help for ppl with a handicap(i could imagine), its also good for ppl that have a problem using a mouse getting mousearms and whatnot.

I can also imagine this being good for artwork, perhaps in a 3d enviroment.

Also that was the single coolest thing about minority report(as mentioned already)

In games it might be good for... i dont know.. headbutting?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I think this is where the Kinect should ind it's home, it's not all that great for gaming (thought there are a few rare cases where it should be) but all these hacks people are making for it give it quite an interesting use, I think this was a great decision on Microsoft's part. I'm interested to see what'll come of it.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
Shycte said:
That's why Kinect is so great for Microsoft, the technology can be used in products outside the Xbox 360, and probably even outside gaming. And good technology equals good money...
You know the PSMove has additional uses as well... just not as innocent as the kinect