Kinect Hack Gives Swordfighting JediBot Eyes

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kinect Hack Gives Swordfighting JediBot Eyes

A group of robotics students at Stanford University have married Microsoft's Kinect peripheral to a dextrous mechanical arm to create a surprisingly adept sword-swinging robot.

The robot arm itself isn't terribly impressive. Robot arms have been around for decades. The inventive bit, is what the students have done with the arm, a Kinect and custom-written software.

ExtremeTech reports:

... the robot arm is pre-programmed with a bunch of "attack moves" and it defends by using the Kinect to track the green lightsaber. To attack, JediBot performs a random attack move, and if it meets resistance -- another lightsaber, a skull, some ribs -- it recoils and performs another, seemingly random, attack. It can attack once every two to three seconds -- so it isn't exactly punishing, but presumably it would only require a little knob-tweaking to make it a truly killer robot.

To defend, the JediBot uses the Kinect sensor to pick the green lightsaber out of the background (that's why it isn't blue), and performs depth analysis to work out where it is in comparison to the robot's lightsaber.

In short, the arm mimics an actual human swordfighter with unpredictable attack patterns, and an ability to perceive and react to its opponent's movements. Sure, it's blind if you come after it with anything other than a bright green foam weapon, but that's still a rather impressive feat of engineering.

The JediBot was created as part of play golf and grill hamburgers [http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs225a/].

The potential for this kind of technology is nearly infinite. In the most basic sense, the students have given a machine the ability to perceive the world around it in the much the same way humans do, and thoughtfully interact with its surroundings in whatever way it may see fit.

Also, they gave it a weapon. Yay science!

Source: ExtremeTech [http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/90204-lightsaber-kinect-robotic-arm-jedibot]

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
That seems nice. Funny how the Kinect is good for everything but video games.

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
SWEET JESUS I CAN SPAR WITH ROBOTS OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

the spud

May 2, 2011
Thank you, Earnest, for not making a "They are going to become sentient and take over the world LULZ" type of joke.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm not too sure about giving weapons to the machines that will soon toil for us in hazardous mines, and do our grocery shopping, but it's cool nonetheless.

Right...? Right?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wow. That is a surprisingly attractive group of engineering students there.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
the spud said:
Thank you, Earnest, for not making a "They are going to become sentient and take over the world LULZ" type of joke.
You're welcome (and you have no idea how difficult it was to resist).

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
This is so damn cool! It'd be awesome if they could tweak it to be really fast; I'd be curious of how it'd work against a really skilled swordsman. Still, this rules!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
So the robot can only detect green, so its weakness is... say... Yellow? Can you see where I'm going here: GREEN LANTURN ROBOT ARM!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
We're one step closer to making General Grievous it seems!

SonofaJohannes said:
That's it! I think it's time to clean house and throw out the pony references!

(Yet another batman clip i've always wanted to use! Thanks thread!)

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
gabe12301 said:
why is it so slow? I cant imagine that being a challenge.
I would assume that at least part of why it's slow and why it "attacks" the person's sword instead of trying to actually hit them like you would in a real sword fight is that the point of a research project/class project like that is generally to learn how to do something or to show that something can be done, not necessarily make a finished product or make something that's commercially useful. Things like that come later, if and when there's a use/demand for them (and someone wants to pay for it). Also, grad students and cutting edge hardware are expensive to replace when you break them. Heh.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I would like to point out that a fencer does not attack in a fashion that could accurately be described in any sense as "random". At least not a fencer that has any experience. That said, I am curious how proficient the machine is on the defense since misdirection would be of limited use and the ability of the machine to change lines of defense could certainly be far greater than that of a human