Kinect Helps Father Play With Autistic Son

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Wiezzen said:
It's stories like these that make people look at those who have autism like they have a disease. In many cases autism turns out to be blessing as those with it usually have some pretty impressive talents. I never considered it much of a talent, but people always seemed amazed back in school when I could do long multiplication in my head.
Granted the autism would obviously make it a tad more difficult, but did anyone maybe stop to think that an X-Box controller might be a little complicated for most 4-year olds? When I was a kid, around the same age, and went over to my friend's house to play Super Mario Bros. 3 I could never make it past the second level because it was too difficult for me at that age, it had nothing to do with my autism. I have no trouble at all playing games nowadays.
This. Seriously.

No one here is stopping to wonder if Kinect was easier for the kid because he happens to be four years old? Because an Xbox controller is incredibly complex, especially compared to older generations of controllers such as, say, the NES? No, everyone has to point out that it's because the kid's autistic.

It sounded like a heartwarming story at first, until the "autistics r dum!" mindset started creeping in between the lines.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Miles Tormani said:
Wiezzen said:
It's stories like these that make people look at those who have autism like they have a disease. In many cases autism turns out to be blessing as those with it usually have some pretty impressive talents. I never considered it much of a talent, but people always seemed amazed back in school when I could do long multiplication in my head.
Granted the autism would obviously make it a tad more difficult, but did anyone maybe stop to think that an X-Box controller might be a little complicated for most 4-year olds? When I was a kid, around the same age, and went over to my friend's house to play Super Mario Bros. 3 I could never make it past the second level because it was too difficult for me at that age, it had nothing to do with my autism. I have no trouble at all playing games nowadays.
This. Seriously.

No one here is stopping to wonder if Kinect was easier for the kid because he happens to be four years old? Because an Xbox controller is incredibly complex, especially compared to older generations of controllers such as, say, the NES? No, everyone has to point out that it's because the kid's autistic.

It sounded like a heartwarming story at first, until the "autistics r dum!" mindset started creeping in between the lines.
Would it make a difference to your position if the kid uses a Kinect while calculating the square root of any given seven-digit number in his head? Just asking.

V161

Dec 8, 2009
There is no better moment that you feel as a father than when you can share the fun of playing a game (any) with your own son who is on the spectrum. All the frustration on both sides melts away and all your left with is joy that you'll remember of just playing a game with your son. I know, and I'm glad for that family. Also I'm thankful for the posting of this article. Huzzah for them!

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
JDKJ said:
Would it make a difference to your position if the kid uses a Kinect while calculating the square root of any given seven-digit number in his head? Just asking.
No, but it would make a difference if people would stop making douchebaggy comments like "I'm glad this helps out disabled kids" or, oh say for example. Your asinine comment.

I have no problem with an article about how two people managed to get together when they had trouble communicating with each other. What I do have a problem with is that the reason for the communication issue is solely placed on autism. There's many different variables that are not being told in the article, such as the games in question, how the dad is presenting the games to the kid, or hell, whether the kid is just not really inclined to use the Xbox controller. No. The only reason used is because he's autistic. I call bullshit.

It pisses me off because this kind of story paints a poor picture of people who are in the autistic spectrum, rather than raising proper awareness. It relies on the word "autistic" to draw attention to the story, people get the wrong message, and then when people find out that I'm autistic for whatever reason, they deliberately speak in a louder tone and in a slower pace, as if I'm too fucking retarded to understand normal language.

So, fuck you. Fuck you and all of those who act like people like me are a bunch of retards.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Not to be lame and short about this but I really like this story. These are the true stories of gaming in my eyes (just like the exciting moment my parents had ages ago when they first played Mario with me, albeit that story pales in comparison to interacting with your autistic child).

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Miles Tormani said:
JDKJ said:
No, but it would make a difference if people would stop making douchebaggy comments like "I'm glad this helps out disabled kids" or, oh say for example. Your asinine comment.

I have no problem with an article about how two people managed to get together when they had trouble communicating with each other. What I do have a problem with is that the reason for the communication issue is solely placed on autism. There's many different variables that are not being told in the article, such as the games in question, how the dad is presenting the games to the kid, or hell, whether the kid is just not really inclined to use the Xbox controller. No. The only reason used is because he's autistic. I call bullshit.

It pisses me off because this kind of story paints a poor picture of people who are in the autistic spectrum, rather than raising proper awareness. It relies on the word "autistic" to draw attention to the story, people get the wrong message, and then when people find out that I'm autistic for whatever reason, they deliberately speak in a louder tone and in a slower pace, as if I'm too fucking retarded to understand normal language.

So, fuck you. Fuck you and all of those who act like people like me are a bunch of retards.
I'd ask if you mad but the answer to that question seems apparent.

Fuck me, huh? And fuck everyone else who acts like you're retarded, huh? Ever considered the possibility that it's better to be a retard in doubt than to post your open invitations to fuck all and remove the doubt? Just saying.

Ben Annett

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks. You've encouraged me introduce the Kinect [http://annett.me.uk/2012/03/12/xbox-kinect/] at the special needs school I work at.