Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
bojac6 said:
Numachuka said:
bojac6 said:
Numachuka said:
That looks horrible. The
JUMBO PALACE said:
Everything in that trailer looked heavy and clumsy. And I guess it's on rails right? I don't know, I've pretty much already decided Kinect isn't for me anyway.
An on rails Star Wars... They obviously saw the success of the only good star wars games, the Battlefront series, and completely ignored it.
Uhhh what? All the Jedi Knight games, the X-wing/Tie Fighter series, the Rogue Squadron series and Shadow of the Empire were all way better than Battlefront, which, while fun, was not that great by Star Wars game standards of the time. I mean, if you compare it to Force Unleashed, sure, but let's not forget all the truly great Star Wars games. And that's just straight up ignoring KOTOR, which I know is a bit controversial with some people.
I am sorry. I've played quite a few star wars games but never come across them. I must be a bit stupid.
No need, I just am angry that after such a long line of really fun and well made games, LucasArts is now pumping out so many bad or mediocre Star Wars titles. I get sensitive. I miss Kyle Katarn and Wedge Antilles. I miss flying around and having fun while doing it. I miss being able to use Force Powers and move at the same time. I miss games where you are a Jedi and the bad guys are just Stormtroopers, as opposed to you being a whiny emo guy and the bad guys are mostly immune to the Force for reasons not clearly explained.
Ah, well to be fair to me I have only been properly getting into gaming the past 5 years, and there haven't been any Star Wars games that have attracted my attention. I tried TFU at a friends and it wasn't that much fun.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Numachuka said:
bojac6 said:
Numachuka said:
bojac6 said:
Numachuka said:
That looks horrible. The
JUMBO PALACE said:
Everything in that trailer looked heavy and clumsy. And I guess it's on rails right? I don't know, I've pretty much already decided Kinect isn't for me anyway.
An on rails Star Wars... They obviously saw the success of the only good star wars games, the Battlefront series, and completely ignored it.
Uhhh what? All the Jedi Knight games, the X-wing/Tie Fighter series, the Rogue Squadron series and Shadow of the Empire were all way better than Battlefront, which, while fun, was not that great by Star Wars game standards of the time. I mean, if you compare it to Force Unleashed, sure, but let's not forget all the truly great Star Wars games. And that's just straight up ignoring KOTOR, which I know is a bit controversial with some people.
I am sorry. I've played quite a few star wars games but never come across them. I must be a bit stupid.
No need, I just am angry that after such a long line of really fun and well made games, LucasArts is now pumping out so many bad or mediocre Star Wars titles. I get sensitive. I miss Kyle Katarn and Wedge Antilles. I miss flying around and having fun while doing it. I miss being able to use Force Powers and move at the same time. I miss games where you are a Jedi and the bad guys are just Stormtroopers, as opposed to you being a whiny emo guy and the bad guys are mostly immune to the Force for reasons not clearly explained.
Ah, well to be fair to me I have only been properly getting into gaming the past 5 years, and there haven't been any Star Wars games that have attracted my attention. I tried TFU at a friends and it wasn't that much fun.
Go look up a game called Republic Commando. It is super cheap, has an awesome campaign, and is probably the bloodiest Star Wars game to date.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I wanna know what the story for the Star Wars game is going to be. I need a little story when I'm hacking the limbs of nameless storm troopers

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Tsunoda said:
"I think you could just easily imagine being a Jedi and using Kinect to make you feel you're part of a Star Wars experience, building yourself up into a Jedi. I've seen a bunch of the game and it's super compelling."
Oh really? Are you super cereal?
This guy again. I don't know, it's hard to take anything that he says seriously if his #1 word is "super."

As for what actually counts, these games, count me unimpressed. Kinect Forza sounds like a sorry attempt to throw in an unnecessary and unintuitive control scheme to justify the bloody peripheral down the line. Invisible pedals and steering wheels? This is make-believe with a screen at this point!

Kinect Star Wars does not look promising whatsoever and I question see how much of a difference time will even make. An on-rails lightsaber game controlled by flailing and, again, making-believe that you have a sword in your hand? Besides being clunky, it did not even make sense during the video. Kinect + Star Wars Cash-in be damned, I quote Numachuka for the appropriate response:
Numachuka said:
Seriously, where is our Battlefront III? Just from a business perspective it makes sense given multiple platforms including all 360 owners (not just those with Kinect).

I don't think that Kinect and its lineup are looking so "super" if they're excited about games coming out in a year when it's out now. Not everyone is an easily-impressed, hyperactive man-child that dance in front of their virtual pet tiger.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I want to see someone actaully playiong the game. People mimicking on-screen movements (like in the Milo demo and the bit Ellen D. did) does NOT count.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
danpascooch said:
Note to all motion control developers:

MAKE GOOD GAMES BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE HARDWARE!
That's not really necessary to capture the audience its after. The "casual" gamers are more focused on the hardware than the games anyway, that's why they're releasing all of their tech demos as games.
And, I'm actually interested to see the end product to this. When I saw the trailer, this was literally the only thing that made me even consider getting a Kinect.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Oh snap. I just realized what would make an AMAZING hardcore Kinect game with full 3rd or 1st-person character control and no controller... actually it looks like someone might already have the idea:

http://gamerant.com/steel-battalion-sequel-trailer-heavy-armor-kinect-tao-41628/

A giant robot game! And the commenter below (on that link) had the same idea of using that Gundam series where the pilots had special suits and controlled the Gundams with their bodies. Seriously, leaning for movement, outstretched gun hand for aiming, sword hand for melee/slashing, maybe even face tracking for some extra camera control? Oh and voice recognition for missiles, special weapons or other specialized functions ("cluster missiles... fire!"). Let people choose the sensitivity and you have a really comfortable game that works with Kinect and doesn't have to be on rails.

That one's free, gaming industry.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
RatRace123 said:
danpascooch said:
Note to all motion control developers:

MAKE GOOD GAMES BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE HARDWARE!
That's not really necessary to capture the audience its after. The "casual" gamers are more focused on the hardware than the games anyway, that's why they're releasing all of their tech demos as games.
You can't be serious...If that were the case, then the PS3 would be the most successful console of this generation. Afterall, based solely on hardware, it is the most capable console among the three. Yet, not only was that not the case, the so-called "casuals" bought the Wii, the weakest among consoles, in droves.

"Casual" players (although the proper term is "expanded audience", since "casuals" is game industry lingo for "retards") never buy hardware for it's own sake. Afterall, the majority are not tech enthusiasts, so they have little reason to get excited over technology itself. The only reason they buy the hardware is (suprise!) to get to the software. People didn't buy Wii for the sake of motion controls; they bought it so they could play Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Likewise, people didn't buy a DS for the sake of the touchscreen; they bought it so they could play Brain Age, Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros..

As long as the games are compelling, expanded audience players don't care squat about the hardware. If anything, it is the core audience that pays any attention to the hardware, since at least some core gamers have at least a rudimentary understanding of technology.

Anyway, the Star Wars tech demo is really unimpressive. The action isn't very engaging and the lightsaber strikes and force powers really don't seem to have enough "oomph!" to them. The fact that this is being developed for motion controls that don't use any actual controller is only a further minus.

In short, this tech demo isn't the best demonstration of Kinect technology. If anything, it only serves to highlight it's limitations.