King Washington Taking Over Assassin's Creed III in February

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
King Washington Taking Over Assassin's Creed III in February

Connor's quest to dethrone the tyrannous George Washington begins on February 19.

Those of us who paid attention in American History know that George Washington became the first president of the United States after the ratification of the Constitution in 1789. Assassin's Creed III more or less follows a historically accurate version of the Revolutionary War (with, you know, assassins and templars), but upcoming DLC for Ubisoft's title imagines an alternate history, one in which Washington declared himself king. History buffs don't have long to wait until finding out what might have been: the first of three installments of The Tyranny of King Washington is coming to Assassin's Creed III on February 19.

In The Tyranny of King Washington: The Infamy, protagonist Ratonhnhaké:ton (also known as Connor) wakes up to discover that the whole "winning freedom for the American people" thing was a dream, and in reality, George Washington now sits upon a throne. With the commander in chief now a ruling tyrant, it's up to Connor to knock that crown off his head, and Infamy is the beginning of that journey.

The Tyranny of King Washington: The Infamy will be available for $9.99 on the Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Wii U. You can also get all three installments as part of the Assassin's Creed III Season Pass, which costs $29.99. No release dates for the succeeding installments were mentioned in the press release.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I don't really like this too much, i understand its all fictional and all, but taking a real historical figure, who is known for not even wanting to be president being shown like this, Its kinda like if they made a story and had martin luther king jr fight for everyones rights only to turn out that he did it so he could get power.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Wait, this is a series? Huh, I thought they'd make a scenario as strange as this as a one-off.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Sounds fun, there could be some really creative imagry here. Don't forget peeps he was a hero to some but to others...
Granted he seems to have been one of the more progressive/better slave owners but a slave owner none the less. Im not saying he wasn't a great man but he wasn't perfect either, this is just abit of fun and I wouldn't coincider it bad taste.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I cant wait to witness THE RAGE that the Americans get when they see this.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT OUR GLORIOUS LEADER! ...who owned slaves....and was a piss poor commander THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT!

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
tmande2nd said:

HOW DARE YOU INSULT OUR GLORIOUS LEADER! ...who owned slaves....and was a piss poor commander THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT!
Actually most people seem pretty excited about it.

Sooooo, nice try with the insult, I suppose. There's no cult of personality around George Washington among gamers, and the game already isn't exactly flattering for him.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
tmande2nd said:

I've never in my life seen an American rage over George Washington. If nothing else people hold a bit of indifference when talking about him. Only one who seems to be raging is you with your anti-american assumptions.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I hope when they did their historical research on the man they started with this video:

Although perhaps with less bear fucking. After all, this isn't a Bioware game.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm American and I don't really care about how Washington is portrayed. Yeah, Washington was our first President but that's all we seem to remember him for.

I thought this was going to be an AU Connor that had not gone through any of the events during ACIII. Basically an entirely different storyline with Connor never having joined the Assassins. This makes it sound like he did but helped all the wrong people (which he did if you look at it from a certain POV). Confused but I have the Season Pass. Wish I had liked the game more.

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
protagonist Ratonhnhaké:ton (also known as Connor) wakes up to discover that the whole "winning freedom for the American people" thing was a dream
Looks like they brought out the big guns at Ubisoft when writing this story.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
why didn't they do these kinda things more with the assassin's creed series, character break notwithstanding, creating alternate histories and variaties on historical events that would very little influence to change drasticly.

you know, instead of turning the main character in the enabler of the new age.
still love the series, mind you.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Hahaha, the world doesn't really need this, but I sure as hell love it anyways. Sounds like a fun 'tongue-in-cheek' kinda dash at American history.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
If they really wanted too take a stab at the people of the U.S with this, they should have gone with someone other than Washington. The guy was a tired old man by the point they're trying to say that he was declaring himself king, he didn't desire any further leadership positions, but because a lot of the momentum of the revolution was built around his image, he was forced into one. Anyone who knows anything about U.S history is going to take this whole thing with a heavy dose of salt. It's pretty implausible, unless this Washington is different than ours, like, personality wise.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Considering that the current incumbent of the American White House, who has a flair for ruling by executive order and strongarm tactics, is snatching more and more power from the American states, the American people and the other branches of government with each passing year, and conentrating it in the hands of himself and his sycophantic supporters, it seems that this scenario of an American monarch is not too farfetched these days.

And if he became America's first king, half of the country would love it.

A little bit of a departure from "The Spirit of '76", wouldn't you say?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Undead Dragon King said:
Considering that the current incumbent of the American White House, who has a flair for ruling by executive order and strongarm tactics, is snatching more and more power from the American states, the American people and the other branches of government with each passing year, and conentrating it in the hands of himself and his sycophantic supporters, it seems that this scenario of an American monarch is not too farfetched these days.

And if he became America's first king, half of the country would love it.

A little bit of a departure from "The Spirit of '76", wouldn't you say?
No, and lay off the Glenn Beck and Fox News.

Unless you're referring to a country founded on white male dominance then yes you'd be correct.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
FogHornG36 said:
I don't really like this too much, i understand its all fictional and all, but taking a real historical figure, who is known for not even wanting to be president being shown like this, Its kinda like if they made a story and had martin luther king jr fight for everyones rights only to turn out that he did it so he could get power.
It's fiction.

We know he didn't really do this. We know he did not have this kind of desire (at least according to historical accounts).

This DLC is about "What if he DID?".

You can not deny that Washinton was essentially consul of an oligarchy. He could have become the next Julius Caesar - probably would have met the same fate... as this DLC is likely to enact. "Et tu Ratonhnhaké:ton?"

beefprophet

Feb 10, 2012
Ya know, this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that, for all the "moral relativism" the series espouses they manage to portray the Americans in a less positive light, show the tension and unrest between crusaders and Saracens...

and then in Revelations the Byzantines are super-evil Orthodox Christian dudes who hate everyone and the Ottomans are like the second coming of Christ. I mean good god, Sulemein is like flawless. I understand he was a progressive ruler and had a Christian as his primary queen, but he wasn't the freaking Turkish Jesus like he was portrayed in Revelaions.

Whatever. Whenever I get Assassin's Creed 3 I'll be sure to try this out - hopefully they didn't completely kill the difficulty after the first game.