Kingdom Come: Deliverance releases this month!!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
^Something that?s always bugged me about The Witcher series too is the gluttonous health regen system when you?re not near a bonfire. I?m playing 3 now and it looks like on harder difficulties (I chose Blood and Broken Bones) you can no longer recharge health at bonfires, so I guess I?m stuck with stuffing my face. The healing system should only be tied to rest and bandages, or maybe a spell here and there if you have the skills/resources. But spells for healing should always have a negative side effect like drowsiness or toxin to avoid making it too easy.

Eating should?ve been tied more to a complimentary hunger system that would enhance focus or energy. But also balance it so you could have negative effects from eating too much. It?s just one odd thing to stock up on a dozen loaves of bread, apples, cheese, meat, etc. and then see your health magically go up from eating loads of it at a time.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It IS too good to be true- medieval no-magic RPG written by the writers of the original Mafia? Where could it possibly go wrong?

Forced first-person melee combat. That's where. Breaks my heart that they couldn't just put in a 3rd person mode so this could at least try to keep up with Mount and Blade Bannerlord...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Squilookle said:
It IS too good to be true- medieval no-magic RPG written by the writers of the original Mafia? Where could it possibly go wrong?

Forced first-person melee combat. That's where. Breaks my heart that they couldn't just put in a 3rd person mode so this could at least try to keep up with Mount and Blade Bannerlord...
I?m sure it will have a third person mod similar to Crysis. This is on Cryengine 3 too.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
If this is the 15th Century than where are the guns?

I thought at that point during the Renissance, Pike and Shot Warfare was already established.
Eh... you're slightly off, by maybe close to a century. You might've mistaken 15th century for 1500's. Based on wikipedia, since I'm lazy to dig much further than that, the Arquebus was predominantly used as a defensive weapon for cities and fortifications. It wasn't until the late 1400's that they started shifting them more towards field use.

Another useful reference is to just look at the timeframe of Elizabeth I's reign, since her reign was right around when Pike and Shot would've been in fairly common use.

Also, minor correction, but hand cannons I guess were a little bit of a thing clear back to the late 1300's. Might be that they'll at least include those in small numbers, maybe in a similar way as how Mount and Blade had some early firearms.

Also, a(n) (unverified?) line from another article:

"In the aftermath of the Italian Wars, from the end of the 15th century to the late 16th century, most European armies adopted the use of the pike, often in conjunction with primitive firearms such as the arquebus and caliver to form large pike and shot formations."

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ender910 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
If this is the 15th Century than where are the guns?

I thought at that point during the Renissance, Pike and Shot Warfare was already established.
Eh... you're slightly off, by maybe close to a century. You might've mistaken 15th century for 1500's. Based on wikipedia, since I'm lazy to dig much further than that, the Arquebus was predominantly used as a defensive weapon for cities and fortifications. It wasn't until the late 1400's that they started shifting them more towards field use.

Another useful reference is to just look at the timeframe of Elizabeth I's reign, since her reign was right around when Pike and Shot would've been in fairly common use.

Also, minor correction, but hand cannons I guess were a little bit of a thing clear back to the late 1300's. Might be that they'll at least include those in small numbers, maybe in a similar way as how Mount and Blade had some early firearms.

Also, a(n) (unverified?) line from another article:

"In the aftermath of the Italian Wars, from the end of the 15th century to the late 16th century, most European armies adopted the use of the pike, often in conjunction with primitive firearms such as the arquebus and caliver to form large pike and shot formations."
I am aware that the 15 century refers to the years of 1400 and 16th is 1500.

And 15th Century was all about the Renissance and Renissance Warfare was all about Pike and Shot?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:

As a mostly PC gamer, First Person Combat and Controls > Third Person Combat and Controls when it comes to playing on Mouse and Keyboard.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Vermintide should be a good example for you to understand why.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
It looking forward to this. it looks really good. the fact that its first person game make it more immersive.
I don't know if it'll be your thing man. Saw quite a few women in those trailers...

*edit*
On topic, this thing really does look too good to be true. I'm keeping a close eye on it...

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Valok said:
It looks good. Too good.

As someone that tested the game years ago I can clearly see that it has come a looong way - I'll absolutely check it out. Hopefully it won't be a buggy, unoptimized mess.
How did it play when you tested it? Was the gameplay loop fun?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Squilookle said:

It's a CryEngine game so you can expect a third person mod to be released in a matter of minutes.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
It looking forward to this. it looks really good. the fact that its first person game make it more immersive.
I don't know if it'll be your thing man. Saw quite a few women in those trailers...

*edit*
On topic, this thing really does look too good to be true. I'm keeping a close eye on it...
Ohhh not so fast...there?s an achievement for staying a virgin! I shit you not. [https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-come-deliverance/kingdom-come-deliverance-virgin-achievement]

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:

*edit*
Ohhh not so fast...there?s an achievement for staying a virgin! I shit you not. [https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-come-deliverance/kingdom-come-deliverance-virgin-achievement]
Thats frakin hilarious!!!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:

As a mostly PC gamer, First Person Combat and Controls > Third Person Combat and Controls when it comes to playing on Mouse and Keyboard.
You're not listening: First-person melee combat. There's a very good reason why games that offer both 1st and 3rd virtually always get played in third.

Adam Jensen said:
Squilookle said:

It's a CryEngine game so you can expect a third person mod to be released in a matter of minutes.
If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
ZombieProof said:
Valok said:
It looks good. Too good.

As someone that tested the game years ago I can clearly see that it has come a looong way - I'll absolutely check it out. Hopefully it won't be a buggy, unoptimized mess.
How did it play when you tested it? Was the gameplay loop fun?
Weird, I was not notified that someone quoted me, sorry for the delay.

Truth be told, I wanted to like, what was there I thought to be fun (once 100% fixed) and it showed the potencial to be something witcherlevels-great, but the problem is that I couldn't really play to its fullest because the performance was.. somewhere between fucking awful and unplayable. 35 FPS with everything on low with the occasional drop to 15 when looking to the sides. (i7 3770k 4.3G, 970 OC'ed, 8GB etc etc).

I heard recently that they did manage to fix the performance with some claiming that now they can reach 100+ frames with PCs close to my setup - but - as I said at the start, everything is looking "too good" and maybe it's all indeed too good to be true. I'm honestly finding hard to believe that they managed to pull it from where they were to where it looks like they are now (the industry made me a jaded gamer).

Which is why I'll wait for reviews. I have upgraded some of my parts since that time (it's way more beefier right now) but I'm still not confident enough to make a leap of faith. With all that in mind, if you are also interested, I recommend you wait a bit.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:

You're not listening: First-person melee combat. There's a very good reason why games that offer both 1st and 3rd virtually always get played in third.

Adam Jensen said:
Squilookle said:

If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.
I play Vermintide and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and found those games great in first person.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:

Adam Jensen said:
Squilookle said:

I play Vermintide and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and found those games great in first person.
I'm happy for you. Meanwhile everyone else under the sun prefers third.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Squilookle said:
Meanwhile everyone else under the sun prefers third.
Not necessarily. While I've enjoyed a few melee games with the occasional third person, I usually find it much more satisfying from a first person vantage point. It's actually one of the things that initially attracted me to the Elder Scrolls series, oddly enough, to the point to where I play ESO with first person only.

I much prefer the visual perspective, especially since I don't need to lean on a third person camera to maintain a high level of combat awareness. If anything I find third person serves as more of a crutch.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I got my ship notification already for my Baron level pledge goods, to be delivered Monday. I forgot what was all included it?s been so long ago.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Valok said:
Weird, I was not notified that someone quoted me, sorry for the delay.
There's a bug that turns Quote Notifications off for everyone every once in a while (seems to be every sunday).

You can turn them back on by going into your profile, then clicking 'Forum and Notification Options' in the Profile Options section and setting Quote Notification back to 'Yes'.

It's temporary though and the underlying problem can sadly not be fixed, because there's no one left who can.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So there are no authorities left here? I?m surprised this isn?t like the Wild West already. Sad how the good forums keep going belly up. The thriving ones like Gamespot and IGN are pretty much dumpster fires, go figure.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
So there are no authorities left here? I?m surprised this isn?t like the Wild West already. Sad how the good forums keep going belly up. The thriving ones like Gamespot and IGN are pretty much dumpster fires, go figure.
There are a bunch of mods left to reinforce order in the forums, but Defy media seems to have pretty much left the Escapist to its' fate with no staff and only one content provider that updates once a week.