Kingdom Come: Deliverance releases this month!!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Gethsemani said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
So there are no authorities left here? I?m surprised this isn?t like the Wild West already. Sad how the good forums keep going belly up. The thriving ones like Gamespot and IGN are pretty much dumpster fires, go figure.
There are a bunch of mods left to reinforce order in the forums, but Defy media seems to have pretty much left the Escapist to its' fate with no staff and only one content provider that updates once a week.
Yeah I wonder if Yathzee is on a contract or if they pay him per video.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Meiam said:
Gethsemani said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
So there are no authorities left here? I?m surprised this isn?t like the Wild West already. Sad how the good forums keep going belly up. The thriving ones like Gamespot and IGN are pretty much dumpster fires, go figure.
There are a bunch of mods left to reinforce order in the forums, but Defy media seems to have pretty much left the Escapist to its' fate with no staff and only one content provider that updates once a week.
Yeah I wonder if Yathzee is on a contract or if they pay him per video.
Guessing contract as the rest of the site has been abandoned. Has he gone into this year yet?

At least it appears they don?t own any other gaming sites. Maybe they should purchase Gamespot and IGN for good measure though, just to be safe.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Ender910 said:
Squilookle said:
Meanwhile everyone else under the sun prefers third.
Not necessarily. While I've enjoyed a few melee games with the occasional third person, I usually find it much more satisfying from a first person vantage point. It's actually one of the things that initially attracted me to the Elder Scrolls series, oddly enough, to the point to where I play ESO with first person only.

I much prefer the visual perspective, especially since I don't need to lean on a third person camera to maintain a high level of combat awareness. If anything I find third person serves as more of a crutch.
Count me in as preferring first person. I even play Mount and Blade mostly in first person.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
While this game does not seem to be my jam, its nice to see folks excited for something a little differerent that fills a gap in their gaming wants and desires.

Hope its fun for you all :)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Squilookle said:
If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.
Functionality of third person view will depend largely on how the combat works. If there's something about combat that makes it work properly only in first person, then modders are gonna have to do more than a simple camera edit to make third person view fully functional.

lajo45

Feb 10, 2018
Use several hours of your spare time to acquire extra $1000 on your paypal account each week... Get more details on following site>>>

.......... http://Help80.com

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Squilookle said:
If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.
Functionality of third person view will depend largely on how the combat works. If there's something about combat that makes it work properly only in first person, then modders are gonna have to do more than a simple camera edit to make third person view fully functional.
Yes, Adam, that's why I said I would wait to see footage of it working properly.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Ender910 said:
Squilookle said:
Meanwhile everyone else under the sun prefers third.
Not necessarily. While I've enjoyed a few melee games with the occasional third person, I usually find it much more satisfying from a first person vantage point. It's actually one of the things that initially attracted me to the Elder Scrolls series, oddly enough, to the point to where I play ESO with first person only.

I much prefer the visual perspective, especially since I don't need to lean on a third person camera to maintain a high level of combat awareness. If anything I find third person serves as more of a crutch.
Count me in as preferring first person. I even play Mount and Blade mostly in first person.
3rd person = fashion
1st person = no fashion

If it's a game with lots of armor and weapon upgrades, I think 3rd person is much preferable because you can watch your character's appearance evolve.

Also, 3rd person is usually better for melee combat because of spacial awareness.

Can you imagine the Souls games in 1st person? That would suck. No Fashion Souls!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

My edition also came with the soundtrack. Listening to it now, but haven't installed the discs yet until I find out what's going on with this massive day 1 patch [https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/02/10/heres-the-story-behind-kingdom-come-deliverances-23-gb-day-one-patch/#1050a8387d9e].

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
From reviews it's looking like a great game hampered by some poor optimization and bugs. Hopefully the day 1 patch fixes some of the issues, though I'll give it a couple of months before picking up a copy.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
From reviews it's looking like a great game hampered by some poor optimization and bugs. Hopefully the day 1 patch fixes some of the issues, though I'll give it a couple of months before picking up a copy.
Seems like this is becoming the new norm. And I don't think it's necessarily due to ineptitude. I think for some companies it's their business model. Instead of paying employees to play-test and debug, just go ahead and release it and let the customers pay you to find all the bugs, and then fix it reactively.

So if I see complaints about buginess in the reviews, I'm like you. Just wait a few months. Give them time to finish the game with patches.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
So I tried this game on a whim last night, and was bombarded with incredible amounts of Historical bullshit. Even during gameplay tutorials the game goes out of it's way to explain how nobility works in comparison to your speech and appearance stats. It was a lot to read.

Honestly the game is really trying to appeal to people super into Historically accurate settings and mannerisms. If you don't really care about the historical setting and aspect of the game, the actual gameplay is just a shitty Elder Scrolls game with no magic. The game was so off-putting and the bombardment of historical facts, turned me off really quickly. So I refunded the game and took a hard pass on the game.

I will say a couple of other things I noticed. The voice acting feels very clipped, which makes the dialog feel very video gamey. I dunno if it is an audio bug, but voice lines just cut off abruptly right at the end of sentences that gave everyone a cut-off feel to the talking. The graphics themselves feel very last gen imo. The environments are okay when looked at from afar, but once you try to examine anything you'll see extremely poor textures for everything. The faces all give me a L.A. Noire feel, were it just looks like badly animated digitized actors on every face.

Ultimately, it might be a fine game if History is your thing. But if you aren't super into historical accuracy in a game, this probably isn't the game for you.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
CritialGaming said:
So I tried this game on a whim last night, and was bombarded with incredible amounts of Historical bullshit. Even during gameplay tutorials the game goes out of it's way to explain how nobility works in comparison to your speech and appearance stats. It was a lot to read.

Honestly the game is really trying to appeal to people super into Historically accurate settings and mannerisms. If you don't really care about the historical setting and aspect of the game, the actual gameplay is just a shitty Elder Scrolls game with no magic. The game was so off-putting and the bombardment of historical facts, turned me off really quickly. So I refunded the game and took a hard pass on the game.

I will say a couple of other things I noticed. The voice acting feels very clipped, which makes the dialog feel very video gamey. I dunno if it is an audio bug, but voice lines just cut off abruptly right at the end of sentences that gave everyone a cut-off feel to the talking. The graphics themselves feel very last gen imo. The environments are okay when looked at from afar, but once you try to examine anything you'll see extremely poor textures for everything. The faces all give me a L.A. Noire feel, were it just looks like badly animated digitized actors on every face.

Ultimately, it might be a fine game if History is your thing. But if you aren't super into historical accuracy in a game, this probably isn't the game for you.

Was Elder Scrolls combat ever good in the first place? Saying the gameplay here is a shitty version of it doesn?t accomplish much, especially without attempting to actually learn it. This review [http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/368221-kingdom-come-deliverance-review-hardcore-henry#/slide/1] for example details it as quite the opposite.

There are very few games out there lately with gameplay as deep and rewarding as what?s apparently in KC:D. Having the time for it might be another story for some (myself included), but that alone shouldn?t diminish its standing.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Watched a stream of the opening hours, the game looked kind of dull and shitty. Like a combination of Oblivion and Gothic, with animation quality about on-par with those two games. And it definitely has the that hardcore Eurojank thing going on, too.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
Was Elder Scrolls combat ever good in the first place? Saying the gameplay here is a shitty version of it doesn?t accomplish much, especially without attempting to actually learn it. This review [http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/368221-kingdom-come-deliverance-review-hardcore-henry#/slide/1] for example details it as quite the opposite.

There are very few games out there lately with gameplay as deep and rewarding as what?s apparently in KC:D. Having the time for it might be another story for some (myself included), but that alone shouldn?t diminish its standing.
No, Elder Scrolls doesn't have fantastic gameplay, and the game play here is worse. At least from what I've seen. The generic punching animation is terrible, the way characters walk around the world seem like they are all with sticks up their asses. It's just not good. The stats do seem like a deep system, however Skyrim has a lot of stats you can level, but they don't end up meaning much at the end of the day so I wonder if KC:D will end up the same way.

Like I said, you really have to be into a realistic historical setting to get anything out of this game, because the gameplay isn't going to win anyone over who isn't already on board with the theme.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
One of the things that sets Kingdom Come apart from its contemporaries is its combat system. It uses a combination of physics and stat-based aspects to simulate what combat was like in the Middle Ages. You can't just flail a sword around, hold down a button to block, or shoot a bow with 100% accuracy through crosshairs.

Striking and defending in Kingdom Come is a very time-based ordeal. Your stamina plays a vital part in your combat capabilities. Strike too many times with a sword, and you'll find yourself out of breath. Let an enemy pummel your shield, and you'll see yourself reeling from their attacks. You have to time your strikes and defense if you hope to survive, and early on it's a difficult affair.

When using a sword, ax, or mace, you'll get the option to swing from five different directions or thrust the weapon forward. To get past your enemy's defense, you'll have to pick the direction furthest away from their weapon or shield and try to hit their weak spot. Enemies have the same stamina system you do, so combat is often a matter of attrition. You have to wear a foe down and hope they leave themselves open so you can slip in a thrust or a slash. As time goes on, you'll learn combos from a trainer which help you push your enemy off guard, allowing you to stun them or causing a bit of damage. Perfect blocks, timed to an icon on-screen will allow you to negate the stamina drain from blocking, and when you raise your skill and learn the ability, allow you to counter an enemy in the same move.

However, if you're using the wrong weapon type, it can take forever to take down a foe, even if you're slipping past their guard. In 15th century Bohemia there are several kinds of armor you'll encounter, and each of them is strong against a certain weapons type. Your run of the mill bandits will often have leather armor, and thick cloth for protection, which can be penetrated by any of your weapons. However, when you start facing chain and plate mail, you'll find your sword glancing off, and you'll need a mace so you can bash the armor in. There are 14 different slots just for armor in Kingdom Come, and finding the combination that gives you the most protection from enemies is a big part of the drive to gather loot in the game.

Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/368221-kingdom-come-deliverance-review-hardcore-henry#QITVLjpjr3Kg5iEe.99h

To me that sounds awesome. How many other games have this level of detail and strategy? Of course, it?s impossible to actually know what it?s like to play if you?re just watching someone else. Also, considering they had a fraction of the budget of an Elder Scrolls game, and developed a far more detailed combat system behind them, I?m far more inclined to forgive Warhorse for their animation shortcomings than Bethesda.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
One of the things that sets Kingdom Come apart from its contemporaries is its combat system. It uses a combination of physics and stat-based aspects to simulate what combat was like in the Middle Ages. You can't just flail a sword around, hold down a button to block, or shoot a bow with 100% accuracy through crosshairs.

Striking and defending in Kingdom Come is a very time-based ordeal. Your stamina plays a vital part in your combat capabilities. Strike too many times with a sword, and you'll find yourself out of breath. Let an enemy pummel your shield, and you'll see yourself reeling from their attacks. You have to time your strikes and defense if you hope to survive, and early on it's a difficult affair.

When using a sword, ax, or mace, you'll get the option to swing from five different directions or thrust the weapon forward. To get past your enemy's defense, you'll have to pick the direction furthest away from their weapon or shield and try to hit their weak spot. Enemies have the same stamina system you do, so combat is often a matter of attrition. You have to wear a foe down and hope they leave themselves open so you can slip in a thrust or a slash. As time goes on, you'll learn combos from a trainer which help you push your enemy off guard, allowing you to stun them or causing a bit of damage. Perfect blocks, timed to an icon on-screen will allow you to negate the stamina drain from blocking, and when you raise your skill and learn the ability, allow you to counter an enemy in the same move.

However, if you're using the wrong weapon type, it can take forever to take down a foe, even if you're slipping past their guard. In 15th century Bohemia there are several kinds of armor you'll encounter, and each of them is strong against a certain weapons type. Your run of the mill bandits will often have leather armor, and thick cloth for protection, which can be penetrated by any of your weapons. However, when you start facing chain and plate mail, you'll find your sword glancing off, and you'll need a mace so you can bash the armor in. There are 14 different slots just for armor in Kingdom Come, and finding the combination that gives you the most protection from enemies is a big part of the drive to gather loot in the game.

Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/368221-kingdom-come-deliverance-review-hardcore-henry#QITVLjpjr3Kg5iEe.99h

To me that sounds awesome. How many other games have this level of detail and strategy? Of course, it?s impossible to actually know what it?s like to play if you?re just watching someone else. Also, considering they had a fraction of the budget of an Elder Scrolls game, and developed a far more detailed combat system behind them, I?m far more inclined to forgive Warhorse for their animation shortcomings than Bethesda.
That sounds basically like the exact same melee combat system that was in Morrowind, but with more directions (Morrowind had 3).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Put about 7 hours into it so far and I'm finding it very immersive. I like it how at the start you are -terrible- at combat and your character needs genuine lessons.

A great setting driven game embracing the idea of a rags to riches story in the late 13th early 14th century.

You won't play this for its gameplay. You'll play it for the setting.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Abomination said:
Put about 7 hours into it so far and I'm finding it very immersive. I like it how at the start you are -terrible- at combat and your character needs genuine lessons.

A great setting driven game embracing the idea of a rags to riches story in the late 13th early 14th century.

You won't play this for its gameplay. You'll play it for the setting.

Eurogamer had a good write up [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-26-dont-be-put-off-by-kingdom-come-deliverances-stiff-characters] on it a few months back explaining how much depth it has to offer in the face of its shortcomings. It?s actually pretty amazing that a game this ambitious in scope and scale was pulled off as well as it was on a limited budget. Hopefully the next patch clears up the more pressing bugs.