Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 kickstarter ends just shy of 12.4 million, 124 times its goal [Update II]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/

With only 19 hours to go at the time of this posting, the kickstarter for Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 has reached 10.7 million dollars on its 100,000 dollar goal (or 10,700% of its goal).

I'm honestly amazed, I mean wow, literally 107 times its goal, that's incredible. I just think it's too bad this isn't a game I'd be interested in since it's not my cup of tea.

Update: it's not at 11.6 million with 4 hours to go.

Update 2: The campaign is over with just shy of 12.4 million raised from 19,264 backers at an average of 643.33$ per backer, just she of 124 times its goal.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I wonder about the legitimacy of those numbers as the base game apparently only costs $60, yet the average pledge is well over $600.
They either have some extremely high roller friends or someone inflated those numbers from their own pocket, happens all the time btw.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Smooth Operator said:
I wonder about the legitimacy of those numbers as the base game apparently only costs $60, yet the average pledge is well over $600.
They either have some extremely high roller friends or someone inflated those numbers from their own pocket, happens all the time btw.
Yeah, this looks sketchy as fuck.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Smooth Operator said:
No, it's some sort of update that costs $60. The core game costs $250.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
TrulyBritish said:
Yeah, I'm a little suspicious about a kickstarter that's average pledge is over $600...
To be fair, I don't think there's a single demographic that is more likely to shell out large amounts of money for a game and its expansions then the tabletop community.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
Yeah, I'm a little suspicious about a kickstarter that's average pledge is over $600...
To be fair, I don't think there's a single demographic that is more likely to shell out large amounts of money for a game and its expansions then the tabletop community.
Ain't that the truth? To get a full sized Games Workshop offical Warlord Titan costs upwards of 1200 pounds ( $1500 for us americans)
and that is for ONE model...granted it is a rather large model but sill

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Smooth Operator said:
No, it's some sort of update that costs $60. The core game costs $250.
This is the second edition of the game. The base pledge was for existing owners to get the new manuals and cards upgrade to the new version. You can also buy the new basic game at another level. The rest of the levels are various expansions you can pick up. Each expansion is a set of miniatures and the cards to support them. Buying most of the expansions will easily get you to $1000.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
Ain't that the truth? To get a full sized Games Workshop offical Warlord Titan costs upwards of 1200 pounds ( $1500 for us americans)
Funny thing is, I'm reading a W40K novel right now that includes a Titan in one scene. Well-written though that novel is, it can't describe the might of a Titan as effectively as the fact that the model costs that much.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Was that name generated from a D666 random generation table or by throwing darts at random words on a wall? Looks like the most generic fantasy name possible in the history of generic fantasy names.

Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
Funny thing is, I'm reading a W40K novel right now that includes a Titan in one scene. Well-written though that novel is, it can't describe the might of a Titan as effectively as the fact that the model costs that much.
I'll try to paint a picture with words to try to convey the size of the model:

It's roughly the size of a 4 year old human child. Its cannons are just a bit under the length of an adult man's forearm. You need a car or shopping cart to be able to effectively transport it anywhere. Not to even speak of how you're supposed to store it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Sooo, it's a fantasy tabletop game trying to out-grimdark Warhammer and Cthulhu (that also has...a bunch of pinups)?

I mean, it's certainly well made, but I don't see anything that warrants plunking down over $600. Are people really that excited for yet another dark fantasy setting with absurd amounts of doom n' gloom, or has someone been manipulating the numbers?

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
OOO which warhammer novel? Cause if you want one that shows titans as titans read Titanicus by Dan Abnett super well written and shows the terrifying scale of these machines

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
iwinatlife said:
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
OOO which warhammer novel? Cause if you want one that shows titans as titans read Titanicus by Dan Abnett super well written and shows the terrifying scale of these machines
I will read it! I like Dan Abnett, and I'm working through his backlog of W40K novels. The one I'm reading now is Malleus.
bartholen said:

It's roughly the size of a 4 year old human child. Its cannons are just a bit under the length of an adult man's forearm. You need a car or shopping cart to be able to effectively transport it anywhere. Not to even speak of how you're supposed to store it.

...Dang. I thought that forearm bit was an exaggeration.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
I will read it! I like Dan Abnett, and I'm working through his backlog of W40K novels. The one I'm reading now is Malleus.
bartholen said:

Ithought it might be wait till you get to hereticus then you will see a titan

and for fun here is the example of the next size up in titans

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
iwinatlife said:
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Queen Michael said:
iwinatlife said:
Zontar said:
TrulyBritish said:
bartholen said:

Ithought it might be wait till you get to hereticus then you will see a titan

and for fun here is the example of the next size up in titans
At what point can I just dress in a cosplay outfit and stomp around on the board?
That is the Accepted alternative to an Imperator Titan model. whats funny is that scale wise Yes a Imperator Titan is one of the largest land units but not the largest (that would be the Capitol Imperialis0
and is comparatively small if we start talking space ships. Imperial battleships can be 5km long. I sure do love 40k