Kingdom Hearts 3D Transforms Into Comic Book

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Kingdom Hearts 3D Transforms Into Comic Book

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance will include a "Reality Shift" feature that will let players guide characters through touch-screen comic sequences.

Square Enix is clearly trying to shake things up with <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Hearts-Dream-Distance-nintendo-3ds/dp/B006OI3CTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327456327&sr=8-1>Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Last week, it was revealed that the game was going to be <a hef=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107033-Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance-Offers-Feeling-of-Flying>help players feel like Superman. Now, it turns out that the game will also feature sequences where the game becomes a touch-screen comic book.

According to Siliconera:

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance switches combat to the touch screen when you trigger a Reality Shift. In the Tokyo Game Show demo, you would do this by pressing A and X at the same time. Trigger a Reality Shift in the Country of the Musketeers and the world changes into a touch screen comic book where Donald, Goofy, and Mickey help you attack Nightmares.

This certainly sounds like an interesting mechanic, but it'll be a little while before Western gamers get a chance to try it out. King Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is due out in Japan on March 29th, but Amazon has its North American release listed for December 31st.

Source: Siliconera

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As much as I want to get this game for the story, some of these new mechanics seem to be just too gimmicky... this being one of them. But hell, whatever. Square-Enix's getting my money.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Hey guys, could you like, make Kingdom Hearts 3?

You know, the KH game that people actually want.
They can't until they finish FF13 Versus since not only is the principle team behind the combat assigned to it but also the lead creative director for KH1 and 2. I think there was an interview with him that said he didn't even want to start thinking about three until at least a few months after they finished versus...we see how well that's gone. (sorry no sources, just a memory of two articles that remind me how FF13 has doomed the franchise to hand-held entries for the past few years.)

Which leads me to my next question...wtf happened to FF13 Versus? Last I heard someone had ordered a complete visual design overhaul despite that the game was almost finished.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
So when is Kingdom Hearts 3 gonna come out? Nobody wants these stupid handheld games....

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

They can't until they finish FF13 Versus since not only is the principle team behind the combat assigned to it but also the lead creative director for KH1 and 2. I think there was an interview with him that said he didn't even want to start thinking about three until at least a few months after they finished versus...we see how well that's gone. (sorry no sources, just a memory of two articles that remind me how FF13 has doomed the franchise to hand-held entries for the past few years.)

Which leads me to my next question...wtf happened to FF13 Versus? Last I heard someone had ordered a complete visual design overhaul despite that the game was almost finished.
They're both fake games. They don't exist. The "trailers" are trailers for the sake of trailers, not of games. Square Enix announced them as bait so people would keep buying their shoddy, B-team made hand-held titles and the 72 upcoming FF13 sequels. You may as well be asking for StarCraft Ghost to come out. Just let it go boys and girls, it's only a figment of your imaginations, just let it go.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sylveria said:
They're both fake games. They don't exist. The "trailers" are trailers for the sake of trailers, not of games. Square Enix announced them as bait so people would keep buying their shoddy, B-team made hand-held titles and the 72 upcoming FF13 sequels. You may as well be asking for StarCraft Ghost to come out. Just let it go boys and girls, it's only a figment of your imaginations, just let it go.
FF13 Versus, maybe, but from the press I've read about KH 3D it's supposed to be the story setup for KH3. Maybe Square finally just gave up on ever releasing Versus. I've no doubt that KH3 will turn up eventually. Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
Sigh, if America is getting it December this year, Australia wont get to see it until halfway through next year.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
December 31st?!?

Man... KH Devs really do hate America, huh?

BTW Where is KH3?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Idk where I found this, but I think it was in a YouTube comment.

"Given the story of Kingdom Hearts was supposed to stand alone, the way Nomura's worked the plot to span other games and at least attempt to make sense of it is truly a remarkable feat of storytelling. It's not his fault he has TWO big companies looking over his shoulder saying "this made money, make another." Instead of copping out and recycling a plot, he tried to make it his own and give us a story actually worth experiencing."

Also, to add to that, it really sounds like the story is coming together into an entirety throughout the span of these spin-off games. These aren't being made just for shits ya know. They're made to explain some plot elements that will be key to the story of the 3rd KH game.

I'm tired of seeing the rants for KH 3. It'll get here when it gets here. But the story isn't complete just yet. Once the story is set, it will come. Get used to it and wait, Interwebs >.>

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Aetheora said:

"Given the story of Kingdom Hearts was supposed to stand alone, the way Nomura's worked the plot to span other games and at least attempt to make sense of it is truly a remarkable feat of storytelling. It's not his fault he has TWO big companies looking over his shoulder saying "this made money, make another." Instead of copping out and recycling a plot, he tried to make it his own and give us a story actually worth experiencing."

Also, to add to that, it really sounds like the story is coming together into an entirety throughout the span of these spin-off games. These aren't being made just for shits ya know. They're made to explain some plot elements that will be key to the story of the 3rd KH game.

I'm tired of seeing the rants for KH 3. It'll get here when it gets here. But the story isn't complete just yet. Once the story is set, it will come. Get used to it and wait, Interwebs >.>
Agreed. These so called "spin-offs" aren't even that - they are all relevant points in the plot and lore of KH. Each answers more questions, and reveals more about the games you've already played. The seemingly simple storyline of KH1 has become sinister and complex, and you gain a greater understanding and different perspective of the characters.

Besides that, they're fantastic games on their own. Each develops new gameplay and learns from the experience of the other. When KH3 rolls around, it will be incredible.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Didn't you know Square isn't interested in making money? They pass that up at every chance they get lately.

FFVII remake, even if they did they stated they'd change stuff around. Yeah great idea for a classic.

And FFXIII a sequel to one of the worst FFs ever?

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Attention, everybody who wants KHIII to be made, instead of all these spin-offs: (Long rant, click spoiler to view)

You'll be hard-pressed to find a video game franchise that can tell its story quite like Kingdom Hearts. With so many great characters, concepts, powers, motifs and mysteries, this franchise is quite simply one that you'll never see the likes of again, even if you live to be a hundred. Sure, it may be confusing, long, and expensive, but to those of you who are willing to stick with the franchise to the bitter end, you'll no doubt be rewarded for it.

'Cause c'mon, name one other video game franchise where you can get revenge on that one Disney villain that gave you nightmares for weeks by beating him/her up with a giant key.

Also, it has been stated by Word of God that KHIII will make no goddamn sense without all the info gained from the spin-offs. Yeah, it sucks that there's so many. Yeah, it sucks that they're all on different consoles. But if you've been playing each and every one, you'll start to pick up on some things. Common threads that encompass the entire franchise. The fact that certain worlds always have certain elements that are consistent through the installments. Things like that.

The spin-offs have been training you ever-so-subtly for what you face in the third game. You will not enjoy the third game nearly as much if you have yet to complete the spin-offs.

I think the reason most people are angry is because they think that the story hasn't progressed after the end of KHII. What they tend to forget is that it HAS, just not linearily. Remember this video?

As the title would imply, when this video was first seen at the end of KHII, everybody thought that it was a teaser for the third game, much like how Another Side, Another Story was a teaser for the second. Watching it today, it couldn't be a trailer for anything except Birth By Sleep.

I think that's why everybody seems to go into a nerdrage for III whenever KH is brought up, is because they're still feeling the pain from the fact that the franchise has stopped going forward linearily. But then again, as it was said in Coded, their hurting will be mended when they realise that the franchise is by no means dead just because the third game hasn't been released yet.

Or something like that.

So just be patient, guys. It's been confirmed that KHIII is going to be the next game released after KH3D, so all we have to wait is a year or two. Not much longer to go, guys!

Aetheora said:

THIS.

This is what I'm talking about. Kingdom Hearts is more than just a means to a paycheck for Nomura, it's an actual story that he wants to tell to his darndest. To whoever wrote the orirginal comment, I present you with this:

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I entered the thread expecting to be the first person to moan about the lack of a Kingdom hearts 3.
I left both disappointed and perhaps a little bit proud.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will be the only thing I buy a PS3 for, assuming new consoles aren;t out by then and they stay on Sony devices.
All these little sidegame things are just so much meh, as far as I'm concerned.

Also they killed off Xion. Unforgivable.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

This, 7 or so years of this. Yet I know SE is gonna announce 2 more FF games After 13 Versus bullshit gets released.

Battleaxx90 said:
Attention, everybody who wants KHIII to be made, instead of all these spin-offs: (Long rant, click spoiler to view)

You'll be hard-pressed to find a video game franchise that can tell its story quite like Kingdom Hearts. With so many great characters, concepts, powers, motifs and mysteries, this franchise is quite simply one that you'll never see the likes of again, even if you live to be a hundred. Sure, it may be confusing, long, and expensive, but to those of you who are willing to stick with the franchise to the bitter end, you'll no doubt be rewarded for it.

'Cause c'mon, name one other video game franchise where you can get revenge on that one Disney villain that gave you nightmares for weeks by beating him/her up with a giant key.

Also, it has been stated by Word of God that KHIII will make no goddamn sense without all the info gained from the spin-offs. Yeah, it sucks that there's so many. Yeah, it sucks that they're all on different consoles. But if you've been playing each and every one, you'll start to pick up on some things. Common threads that encompass the entire franchise. The fact that certain worlds always have certain elements that are consistent through the installments. Things like that.

The spin-offs have been training you ever-so-subtly for what you face in the third game. You will not enjoy the third game nearly as much if you have yet to complete the spin-offs.

I think the reason most people are angry is because they think that the story hasn't progressed after the end of KHII. What they tend to forget is that it HAS, just not linearily. Remember this video?

As the title would imply, when this video was first seen at the end of KHII, everybody thought that it was a teaser for the third game, much like how Another Side, Another Story was a teaser for the second. Watching it today, it couldn't be a trailer for anything except Birth By Sleep.

I think that's why everybody seems to go into a nerdrage for III whenever KH is brought up, is because they're still feeling the pain from the fact that the franchise has stopped going forward linearily. But then again, as it was said in Coded, their hurting will be mended when they realise that the franchise is by no means dead just because the third game hasn't been released yet.

Or something like that.

So just be patient, guys. It's been confirmed that KHIII is going to be the next game released after KH3D, so all we have to wait is a year or two. Not much longer to go, guys!

Aetheora said:

THIS.

This is what I'm talking about. Kingdom Hearts is more than just a means to a paycheck for Nomura, it's an actual story that he wants to tell to his darndest. To whoever wrote the orirginal comment, I present you with this:

The funny thing the side stories pretty much trolled the udder shit out of the original. Since I could understand KH1 and 2, but the other games they just didn't feel as important or had bad stories.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
keideki said:
December 31st?!?

Man... KH Devs really do hate America, huh?

BTW Where is KH3?
It's pretty ordinary for Japanese games (especially handhelds) to be released in the US and EU 6 - 9 months after the Japanese date. Just look at Pokemon's track record.
---
At first I just wanted KH3 to be released like everybody else, but now I just want it to end. Even KHI was silly (story - wise) but ever since it's been getting more and more convoluted. I mean, almost every twist in the games since KH:COM has been an identity mix-up. Those are just cheap.

But because I have no dignity, I'm still going to buy DDD. Curse my feeble will.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
The long and short of it is they can't start work on KH3 because KH3 uses FFvXIIIs engine. Quoting the relevant parties here
KeyMaster45 said:
Sylveria said:
FF13 Versus, maybe, but from the press I've read about KH 3D it's supposed to be the story setup for KH3. Maybe Square finally just gave up on ever releasing Versus. I've no doubt that KH3 will turn up eventually. Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me
Sylveria said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Why the hell are you people so bad at looking up information for a damn video game

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/01/18/playable-demo-of-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-in-the-works/
http://thesilentchief.com/2011/09/21/tetsuya-nomura-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-will-be-a-final-fantasy-like-youve-never-seen-before/
http://thesilentchief.com/2011/10/25/final-fantasy-versus-xiiis-time-has-come/
http://thesilentchief.com/2012/01/18/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-update/

So what do we know? 100% of the game world has been implemented, the combat system is fully implemented, they have inserted 70% of the cutscenes (better titled as events really), Nomura knows when the next event for the game is going to be, we'll see the game on hardware and have a playable demo at that event.

Explain to me, if you are at all interested in this game, how do you NOT know this? It's not like it's a closely guarded secret. Though really I have to blame the shoddy ability to report the Escapist had-

You were right at the event and managed to cover every other game there, how the fuck did you miss the 6 minute trailer detailing combat and plot details? Or if you didn't miss it, how did you not think that people would want to know?!-

Regardless, it's my honest prediction we'll see Versus XIII in Japanese by the tail end of the year (September at the earliest) Judging from all the factors.

Detective Conan you guys are not.

EDIT: Lets confirm something here, when a dev says "We'll see a game on hardware" for an event, what it does NOT mean is that all past trailers (like the one posted) are just mock ups, what it means is they are video clips given to be screened as trailers, not run on a console at the event. The next time we see Versus it will be run on a console, NOT a trailer.