Kingdom Hearts... wait what?

willbailes

Jan 30, 2011
I just started playing birth by sleep after seeing that there are about three other games out there I haven't even heard of on DIFFERENT CONSOLES, all of them being VITALLY important to the story...

Please, someone, anyone, help me understand this series, a timeline, a article somewhere, I've played KH 1 and 2 and just hurt myself in confusion. What the hell came first and why?

JUSTINtimeforalaugh

Nov 3, 2010
You'll need a few different consoles to get the whole story. It is annoying as hell, but I love them anyways. Luckily, the order to play them in is the order of release.

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)(or Re:Chain of Memories on PS2. Same game.)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: 385/2 Days (DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts: Coded (Cell Phones in Japan)(Re:Coded on the DS)

Soon:
Kindgom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Who Knows...)

I love this series, but damn is it complicated...

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I know, if they ever release Kingdom Hearts 3 they better do a damn good job of explaining what happened to the people who havent played all the others

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah they should have just stuck to one platform as many will be confused at KH3.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Yeah, I guess it does get a bit confusing after the first game... wouldn't hold my breath for a release of Kingdom Hearts 3, though.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
I have
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)(or Re:Chain of Memories on PS2. Same game.)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)

Birth by sleep will be mine when we get it for ps3
Hazzah!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Galen Marek said:
I have
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)

Hazzah!
Wha..? Birth by sleep is for the psp.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
There hasn't been a good Kingdom Hearts game on Nintendo consoles so you can just forget about them. I don't know about the upcoming Dream Drop Distance, or whatever it is called, but 385/2 Days was a shitty game. Chain of Memories was kinda boring and if you have already played KH2 then you most likely won't miss out on story much.

Dec 14, 2009
The series really dropped in quality after the KH 2, so I wouldn't even waste my time with the handheld games.

Unless angsty Japanese androgyny is your thing of course.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Korten12 said:
Galen Marek said:
I have
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)

Hazzah!
Wha..? Birth by sleep is for the psp.
Correct however its getting a HD remake for the Ps3 (reported a few months back). Monster Hunter has already been completed and I believe the report said KH was meant to be one of the first after MH.
MH is already in Japan I think (although Im hazy on that information).

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
willbailes said:
three other games out there I haven't even heard of on DIFFERENT CONSOLES, all of them being VITALLY important to the story...
To me this has always been the main problem with Kingdom Hearts. I got so confused halfway through the second game that I quit playing. I always wanted to go back, because I really like the series, but all the important entries are so spread out across consoles, it makes it hard to pick up again. I have the same feeling towards Metal Gear.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts II/Final Mix +
Than Dream Drop Distants
than hopefully KHIII

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
This is KH's story in chronological order:

- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (PSP)

- Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days starts near the end of KH1 at around Kairi's rescue, taking up days 1-24

- Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories (GBA)
358/2 days 25-27 take place during the same time as KH CoM

- Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days (DS)
days 28-358 take place after KH CoM, but before KH2

- Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts RE:coded (DS) takes place before KH2's finale, but its secret ending takes place after KH2

- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

- Kingdom Hearts 3 (?)

Then there is Blank Points, the secret ending to Birth by Sleep. It takes place all over the timeline, starting right after Birth by Sleep and ending somewhere after RE:coded, but before Dream Drop Distance. You know, as if things weren't complicated enough already.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
It's completely stupid to me. I had chain of memories on an old emulator, but I never finished it - I got to a point where I didn't have enough cards to beat someone and progress or some shit I dunno - I've also got 358/2 but again I never finished it and only really put 4-5 hours into it. I

The obvious fix would be to release them all as downloadable games on PSN (XBLA? :D) I've been saying for the last 4 years I'll buy a PS3 when they announce KH3... Though I may get one for FFX...

JUSTINtimeforalaugh

Nov 3, 2010
chimpzy said:
This is KH's story in chronological order:

- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (PSP)

- Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days starts near the end of KH1 at around Kairi's rescue, taking up days 1-24

- Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories (GBA)
358/2 days 25-27 take place during the same time as KH CoM

- Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days (DS)
days 28-358 take place after KH CoM, but before KH2

- Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts RE:coded (DS) takes place before KH2's finale, but its secret ending takes place after KH2

- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

- Kingdom Hearts 3 (?)

Then there is Blank Points, the secret ending to Birth by Sleep. It takes place all over the timeline, starting right after Birth by Sleep and ending somewhere after RE:coded, but before Dream Drop Distance. You know, as if things weren't complicated enough already.
Not the chronological order. The order they should be played in. Out of order can ruin story surprises. Like watching the prequel trilogy of Star Wars before the Original would ruin the surprise of Luke being Vader's son.