Kingdom of Amalur Steam demo.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
I just tried the demo, and the screen was black the entire time. I ran until I got into a battle with a rat I couldn't see and when I went to equip the rusty sword you found, the menu stayed on my screen even while I could move.

Why am I sitting here thinking EA might've released an intentionally broken demo to Steam.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dansen said:
Don't waste your time, it is really mediocre.
Why not help the person with their problem isn't of just telling them to not play it. They might like it. I did.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
I found it...really mediocre too. I was pumped for this game, it seems ok, but it also seems pretty damn generic. Like a fantasy game that comes from the bargain bin. Idk, maybe it's lacking in the "ultra realistic" polish but it didn't leave that much of a lasting impact to me.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
I had the same problem, I turned off post-processing. That fixed it right up.

I had fun with it. It's not something that I'd rush out to buy on Day 1, but it was fun and interesting.

My first impression was basically World of Warcraft meets Oblivion. And since I liked both of those, that's a pretty big complement from me.

The art style reminded me of WoW, which I enjoyed when I played the free trial of WoW. The combat was fun, if a little loose at times. The music was okay, and there was plenty to do.

But really, the only reason I played it was because there's some kind of cross-promotion between this and Mass Effect 3. Playing the Kingdom of Amalur demo unlocks promotional items for Mass Effect 3 (A new assault rifle and a new suit of armor), and playing the Mass Effect 3 demo (which comes out February 14, can't wait!) unlocks exclusive items for Kingdom of Amalur.

I am such a fanboy.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I just enabled 4xMSAA through Catalyst Control Center and it worked fine after that - had the black screen thing before that.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
DarkishFriend said:
Why am I sitting here thinking EA might've released an intentionally broken demo to Steam.
Here I'm thinking I'll read somebody's thoughts on a game I'm interested in but haven't been able to try yet and instead I get more EA bashing.

This entire community has a very strange EA persecution complex.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
Korten12 said:
Dansen said:
Don't waste your time, it is really mediocre.
Why not help the person with their problem isn't of just telling them to not play it. They might like it. I did.
yea thats true because i did enjoy it and it work fine for me so give what seraphy said a go "Turn off post-processing.

Should/might help."

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I turned off post-processing...and my reward was a game that was mediocre in every way. I was more likely to buy it when it eventually went on sale before having played the demo than after. Everything just feels kind of uninspired and like there's nothing new to it, and the UI and default controls are kind of wonky and oddly console port-ish for something that's supposedly originally a PC game. But hey, at least I can see the low-res textures when post-processing is off, and it was ok enough to keep me from giving up before the end of the demo.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
snowman667 said:
i got the Catalyst control center up, what do i do from here.
I think the "post processing" option is in the game options. But for my fix, just go to Gaming tab, then in the sub menu uncheck "use application settings" for the anti aliasing and set it to 4x (although 2x probably works as well) and hit apply. Should work.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
DarkishFriend said:
To be fair, EA did not publish the game on Steam, the developers did (via 38 Studios). EA didn't want the game to be on Steam in the first place, but the developers insisted on Steam and worked it out directly with Valve. The demo is still not available everywhere, but they are working on it. Hopefully, EA won't pull any legal tricks to ensure Origin exclusivity.

So now there are two versions - Origin and Steam (complete with Steam Achievements). Sure, the Origin version might be cheaper and has a ton more preorder bonuses, but now the customers can choose the platform they want. Would've never known about the game otherwise.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Coldie said:
DarkishFriend said:
To be fair, EA did not publish the game on Steam, the developers did (via 38 Studios). EA didn't want the game to be on Steam, but the developers worked it out directly with Valve. The demo is still not available everywhere, but they are working on it.

So now there are two versions - Origin and Steam (complete with Steam Achievements). Sure, the Origin version might be cheaper and has a ton more preorder bonuses, but now the customers can choose the platform they want. Would've never known about the game otherwise.
According to the guys at 38 Studios, the preorder bonuses will work with the Steam version too by the time the game is out. It is incredibly nice that they made sure to work on Steam, hopefully it'll prove to sell better on Steam than Origin to show EA what's up.

Apr 28, 2008
It's a problem with the post-processing. Turn it off and it should work. The demo itself is pretty good. I'll most likely pick it up when it's on sale though. Just a bit burnt out on the whole fantasy setting.

Though, one gripe I did have is how stupid people in the game are.

"Why is the enemy all the way out here, attacking us? All we have here is a small town, a grove, lots of dead bodies, and a well that brings the dead back to life. Why are they attacking us! D:"

Pretty much everyone says that in one form or another. Made me want to slam my head into a wall until I pass out.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Turn off post-processing.

...Yeah.

And I really liked the demo. "HURR ITS MEDIOCRE AND UNORIGINAL" - so, who cares? I prefer the blatant, straight up ripping off style to the grim dark, we totally came up with this ourselves style Dragon Age uses.
I'm buying it. From the demo, it seems like the Fable 2 that I always wanted.