Kingdoms of Amalur 2 Was In Pre-Production

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Kingdoms of Amalur 2 Was In Pre-Production

EA wouldn't fund a sequel to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

But Big Huge Games began work on it anyway.

Or so several sources have told Joystiq. 38 Studios was in advanced talks with a publisher - EA apparently passed on the project - when the developer began to implode.

"We had a good base to work from, and it was going to be all about improving everything," said an anonymous source. "We listened carefully to fans and critics and were going to implement everything we possibly could."

While there's still a remote chance that 38 Studios and Big Huge Games can be pulled from the fire, it seems unlikely that Amalur 2 or the MMO-spinoff, Project Copernicus, will ever be released. While 38 Studios currently owns the IP, tech and code for Kingdoms of Amalur, it's only a few missed payments from having to surrender those assets to its main creditor. Namely, the State of Rhode Island.

What's to stop another company from picking up the assets from the state? Well according to sources "close to the discussion," the state's asking price is simply too high, though they didn't release a solid number. Market analyst, Michael Pachter, theorizes that the Amalur IP is worth around $20 million at most. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117416-Pachter-Amalur-IP-is-Worth-20-Million] That's less than half the amount 38 Studios owes the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation.

The fact that there was a sequel to Reckoning already in per-production doesn't surprise me. Though Rhode Island Governor, Lincoln Chafee, labeled the title a "failure," it really sold incredibly well for a new IP. Despite being linked to 38 Studios' debt and downfall, the project was actually produced using EA's money. The $50 million 38 Studios borrowed, was actually spent on the Project Copernicus project. In the end, the only thing Reckoning failed to do was earn enough to recoup the costs of an MMO that began development in 2006.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/rhode-island-owns-38-studios-intellectual-property/]

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
I wonder is someone gonna step in and take this project and its debts over. It would suck to see all the work and money put into it over the years trashed.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Rainboq said:
This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.
Ditto. I was hoping they'd get the chance to (as they claim they were doing) take the feedback they'd gotten and polish their IP. I hope they still do, somehow.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Never played the first one. Heard it was pretty good. Kinda sucks this'll most likely never get anywhere. Although maybe with kickstarter.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
it'd suck if the ip goes to the state who would sit on it till hell froze over.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
At least developers will learn something important from this. Don't fund a project entirely on state money and expect to pay it back later.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
Wait, NONE of the money borrowed from rhode island went to reckoning? They blew ALL OF IT on the stupid mmo?

I quit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
They were making an MMO and an Amalur sequel? No wonder they went bankrupt.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
tony2077 said:
The article clearly says that they're in talks to sell it first thing, just that their price is overblown.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
HobbesMkii said:
tony2077 said:
The article clearly says that they're in talks to sell it first thing, just that their price is overblown.
i still think the ip is going to sat on till hell freezes over

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
There was going to be a KoA 2? Wow... That makes me damn sad; I enjoyed KoA and the world wasn't that bad either. It's a bit strange how a mayor says the game is unsuccessful even though it sold 1.2 million copies considering it was both an unknown IP and an unknown studio...

Well, chances are the Mayor doesn't know the video-game industry... Or the people selling it.

wyrmslayer1991 said:
Wait, NONE of the money borrowed from rhode island went to reckoning? They blew ALL OF IT on the stupid mmo?

I quit.
Yeah, if I remember correctly it was Rhode Island that offered a low interest rate load in exchange that all the money must be spent in Rhode Island (Rent and Employment) or something; KoA was a different studio of the same company.

The game was killed by something that was barely even associated with it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yeah, i think it's most likely that the state will sell it to try to recoup a small part of the money, given that sitting on it would not do anything for the price, and that they're not going to bother trying to make anything of it in the future

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Gather said:
There was going to be a KoA 2? Wow... That makes me damn sad; I enjoyed KoA and the world wasn't that bad either. It's a bit strange how a mayor says the game is unsuccessful even though it sold 1.2 million copies considering it was both an unknown IP and an unknown studio...

Well, chances are the Mayor doesn't know the video-game industry... Or the people selling it.
Governor. Not Mayor. Two different levels of state government. Also, his adviser for making that statement was Providence Equity Partners, one of the largest investment firms in the world, with a focus on entertainment and technology. So, yeah, you're right, he's probably not very well versed on videogames, but PEP does know what it's about.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
A small group made an overrated, albeit adequate, action adventure game with role playing elements after the planned MMO based off an unknown lore with no fanbase to speak of, failed to take off or even receive funding at all, seeing their way into insurmountable debt and ultimately bankruptcy. They spent so much creating a product that it would have to sell more than one could ever reasonably expect, just to break even.

They were either painfully naive or hilariously overconfident.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
The moment I heard they were making an MMO I knew this would happen. MMOs kill companies.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Rainboq said:
It's mechanics and gameplay were solid and kind of promising but that's all. The IP was, well, I refer you once more to the video above. Hopefully some developer will be 'inspired' by it and make a more interesting game.