Kingdoms of Amalur 2 Was In Pre-Production

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
This is why they should not have tried to make an MMO. The IP was interesting but for the most part it was a standerd fantasy game that would have had to compete with things like WoW or GW2. Even if it was made, it would have failed. They definatly should not have tried making at the same time as KoA 2.

It's too bad, I was starting to get into and enjoy KoA and wouldn't have minded seeing a sequel, especially if it wasn't made by EA.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
ThePS1Fan said:
Never played the first one. Heard it was pretty good. Kinda sucks this'll most likely never get anywhere. Although maybe with kickstarter.
If 38 Studios don't pay back the 50 million they owe they wont own the IP. The biggest kickstarter to date raised just over 2 million. They would need a kickstarter to be 25 times bigger the current record just to avoid being bankrupt let alone produce a new game.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Again I say they engineered their own failure. They blew $50million on an MMO sequel to their brand new IP before anyone even heard about it, let alone cared enough to buy it. Horrible business plan.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
albino boo said:
ThePS1Fan said:
Never played the first one. Heard it was pretty good. Kinda sucks this'll most likely never get anywhere. Although maybe with kickstarter.
If 38 Studios don't pay back the 50 million they owe they wont own the IP. The biggest kickstarter to date raised just over 2 million. They would need a kickstarter to be 25 times bigger the current record just to avoid being bankrupt let alone produce a new game.
The largest kickstarter raised 10.2 million actually. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/

Yes I know it's not a game but still. Even then i'm Double Fines Kickstarter which started this whole craze raised over 3 million.

Not that I think KoA could raise 10 or 3 million, given the fact that the company has went bust already, I think alot of people would be wary of giving them any more money. If KoA was kickstarted I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of the first major failures.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The game itself was decent enough to the point where I still play it every now and again.

I just wanted to see if they'd let my male Dokkalfar Archmage get with Alyn Shir anytime soon.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
albino boo said:
ThePS1Fan said:
The largest kickstarter raised 10.2 million actually. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/

Yes I know it's not a game but still. Even then i'm Double Fines Kickstarter which started this whole craze raised over 3 million.

Not that I think KoA could raise 10 or 3 million, given the fact that the company has went bust already, I think alot of people would be wary of giving them any more money. If KoA was kickstarted I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of the first major failures.

Ah the perils of pre work posting. I meant to to say the biggest game kickstarter was 3 million. I should stop posting before going to work.

I entirely agree that no one in their right mind would give to a kickstarter from a company on the verge of bankruptcy. I do worry that a kickstarter could go up but not everyone would know of the financial state of the company.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
somonels said:
Rainboq said:
This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.
[video snip]
It's mechanics and gameplay were solid and kind of promising but that's all. The IP was, well, I refer you once more to the video above. Hopefully some developer will be 'inspired' by it and make a more interesting game.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

I liked it more than Skyrime. 20 times more and I know a lot of people who would agree with me.
The game isn't your thing and now stop acting like your opinion is The Word of God Notch.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
albino boo said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
albino boo said:
ThePS1Fan said:

Ah the perils of pre work posting. I meant to to say the biggest game kickstarter was 3 million. I should stop posting before going to work.

I entirely agree that no one in their right mind would give to a kickstarter from a company on the verge of bankruptcy. I do worry that a kickstarter could go up but not everyone would know of the financial state of the company.
Yeah I assumed you meant 3 million :p

As for kickstarter, I still don't think people fully understand it. I've seen quite a few people who literally think they're paying for a copy of a game rather than donating/investing in the project to get a game made and getting a free copy once it's done.

Some people are going to be really pissed when a game ends up not getting made that they donated money towards.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
somonels said:
Rainboq said:
This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.
[video snip]
It's mechanics and gameplay were solid and kind of promising but that's all. The IP was, well, I refer you once more to the video above. Hopefully some developer will be 'inspired' by it and make a more interesting game.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

I liked it more than Skyrime. 20 times more and I know a lot of people who would agree with me.
The game isn't your thing and now stop acting like your opinion is The Word of God Notch.
I refer you once more two the video. nah, the humor is gone.
Me laughing about it does not equate to me saying it's bad, it's me saying I find something about it fairly humorous. Namely someone (you) finding the IP 'interesting.'
I didn't dislike it, I just thought it was pointless and bland with some potential in mechanics.

ScatterBen

Dec 3, 2009
tony2077 said:
HobbesMkii said:
tony2077 said:
it'd suck if the ip goes to the state who would sit on it till hell froze over.
The article clearly says that they're in talks to sell it first thing, just that their price is overblown.
i still think the ip is going to sat on till hell freezes over
But that would be so retarded. The whole point of taking a proprietary interest over an asset in these circumstances is as security for a debt owed: in the event of a default they claim the property so that they can sell it and recoup the unpaid monies. In other words, they will be millions of dollars out of pocket if they decide to just sit on it in order to spite you and other fans.

Now, if they flogged it off to a big publisher (likely EA) because they were unable to sell it for a high price, and the publisher then sat on it "till hell froze over" that would make more sense, since there would be the benefit of having no other publisher using the IP. That happens a lot. The idea that the creditor wouldn't sell the asset is dumb, though. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it would be the worst thing to do in the state's position, so if anyone were to sit on it it will be the people they sell it to.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
albino boo said:
Tim Schafer got just over 3 million, but I see what you saying.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Consider this Darwinism of the game industry. KoA looked like every other fanstasy game since Fable and the huge ass collectors edition for a game no one knew if it was gonna be good. So to already think you have the next high fantasty fap-fest as an IP and franchise it and have an MMO off the bat is stupid.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I would have loved to play it, I think it could have been absolutely amazing. As I say every time this horrible turn of events come up, Reckoning was a very good game, with some faults, and the sequel would have been fantastic.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Selling a game from a completely new IP at a higher price than the norm, made for poor sales? I wonder why.

I played the demo and thought the game was interesting, but when they had the nerve to sell it for $60, I decided to wait until the price gets lower. Currently, the price on Steam is the same (or $80 for the game + all DLC bundle).

Another mistake EA will never learn from, I guess.