Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Okay, so I'm most most of us remember this ambitious yet also deeply cliche ARPG from Big Huge Games, and through some bizarre financial shenanigans, the State of Rhode Island. Made a big advertising splash about its writing talent of R.A. Salvatore (whom I'd never heard of) and Todd McFarlane (whom I wish I'd never heard of) and was billing itself as the next big RPG. So obviously that didn't happen. I mean from what I recall it sold respectably for a new IP but not enough to recover its investment. Now it seems some mad people have decided that this game needs a remaster, allegedly to be released on September 9th 2020.

And you know what? I'm in. Aside from having the good sense to have some fun with the title, the remaster includes (as it should) all the DLC the game ever had, with the possible exception of the Mass Effect 3 promotional items, that I remember were quite substantial in terms of story content and theme. I mean a fresh coat of paint isn't going to make the cheesy dialogue any better, or the risible main story line less dull, but there was a big heap of earnest charm and colour to the game that I really liked. That and most of its side quests for the various factions could, frankly, have been games in and of themselves. My favourite was always The Warsworn, a group of mercenaries you could join and eventually lead or ultimately betray.

Anywho, the Steam page only has a few screenshots in whatever new graphics coat of paint they've applied; no trailers yet. My other big question is that will owners of the current full version+DLCs get a discount like Square did for the Director's Cut of Human Revolution.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Made a big advertising splash about its writing talent of R.A. Salvatore (whom I'd never heard of) and Todd McFarlane (whom I wish I'd never heard of) ...
You uncultured swine.

Anyway, played the game. I cannot tell you anywhere they added to the story

I liked Amalur. I don't know why I'd play it again. It wasn't that good.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You uncultured swine.

Anyway, played the game. I cannot tell you anywhere they added to the story

I liked Amalur. I don't know why I'd play it again. It wasn't that good.
Yeah I was kind of surprised that of all the possible forgotten gems of the past decade they landed on Amalur as a target for a remaster. I mean I’ll play it if they don’t ask more than $20AUD for it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I quite enjoyed Amalur. It had an actual combat system, which after Skyrim and Fallout was pretty refreshing. But it was such a bizarre experience, I never got around to finishing it. It really did feel like an MMO without anyone else playing.

I would actually play a remaster. Only if it was dirt cheap tho.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
My wife loves the game and replays it often, she preorded the special edition the day it was announced.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I tried the original when it was free on ps+, gameplay was fun for a time but you become OP too easily and the story was way too generic to care for so I stopped like 20something hours in.

Not a bad game by any means but not all that interesting either. I'd rather just play Dragon's Dogma again though. (also apparently DD is getting an anime made for it which is random as all hell but still awesome lol)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Based on what I know of the release schedule, the reason it didn't do as well as it could have (well, as some put it), is that it had the misfortune of being released shortly after Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, so got a little screwed by that.

I've got it for PS3 and it's a dinky game. It's functional, has a few good ideas and there was nothing inherently wrong with it. I liked the complete skill reset though it did make things a bit trivial once I got the hang of combat with the various weapon types. On the whole, not bad, and not worth writing home about.

Maybe Ellen Rose has someone at gunpoint or something. *shrug

Reactions: ObsidianJones

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I enjoyed it, but the game lacked difficulty and you became over level very quickly. Thankfully it seems like the dev are aware of that and are going to introduce some sort of fix for that.

Honestly it's pretty much the poster child for 7/10 game, didn't do anything wrong but nothing amazing either. It's a functional game with a few cool thing but nothing that break the mold.

TBH I think half the reason I remember it is cause one of the magic user weapon was a pair of chakram, so I could kinda feel like I was playing threads of fate as Mint.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I quite enjoyed Amalur. It had an actual combat system, which after Skyrim and Fallout was pretty refreshing. But it was such a bizarre experience, I never got around to finishing it. It really did feel like an MMO without anyone else playing.

I would actually play a remaster. Only if it was dirt cheap tho.
Actual combat system? All I remember is spamming numbers like I'm in WoW

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ive played the original, but I didn't get too far.

I think I just got bored of how aggressively generic the setting was, and I found myself becoming instantly OP in combat, so I just wasn't having much fun with either aspect. Maybe I should give it another go, and crank up the difficulty or something, but I just don't really have the desire, at the moment.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yeah I was kind of surprised that of all the possible forgotten gems of the past decade they landed on Amalur as a target for a remaster. I mean I’ll play it if they don’t ask more than $20AUD for it.
Because the people behind THQ Nordic have been trying to make a business out of buying third-string IPs from failed developers and publishers in bankruptcy firesales, and making them their own. The remaster is, presumably, the first step at revitalizing a ready-to-go fantasy IP, and generating market interest for a sequel to show potential investors.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Because the people behind THQ Nordic have been trying to make a business out of buying third-string IPs from failed developers and publishers in bankruptcy firesales, and making them their own. The remaster is, presumably, the first step at revitalizing a ready-to-go fantasy IP, and generating market interest for a sequel to show potential investors.
I think that's a cool idea if they really push it. A lot of small title have one or two cool idea but are held back by poor execution or trying to hard to fit the idea of the moment (ie making a title open world even if it doesn't lend itself to the formula just because that's what's popular at the time of release/conception).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The game was fine overall. The combat system was easily the best part of the game. It's one of those RPGs where there's a million quests and 90% of them are completely uninspired so if you just do the story quests and faction quests, it's probably like a 6-7/10 game. The story is a typical chosen one story that's as average as you'd expect it to be.

Funny side-note: My title here "Muse of Fate" comes from the game actually as you can title your character that at one point in the game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I tried the original when it was free on ps+, gameplay was fun for a time but you become OP too easily and the story was way too generic to care for so I stopped like 20something hours in.

Not a bad game by any means but not all that interesting either. I'd rather just play Dragon's Dogma again though. (also apparently DD is getting an anime made for it which is random as all hell but still awesome lol)
I’ve finished Amalur twice and sadly it’s critical path is the least interesting version of that story possible. It’s all the side quests where you get your enjoyable story from.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I never bothered playing Kingdoms of Amalur.

I heard it was pretty good but when I tried the demo half an hour in the game bugged out and I lost all sound, and then 5 minutes later it hard crashed my Xbox 360. Not exactly a favorable first impression and didn't get me throwing money at my screen.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I never bothered playing Kingdoms of Amalur.

I heard it was pretty good but when I tried the demo half an hour in the game bugged out and I lost all sound, and then 5 minutes later it hard crashed my Xbox 360. Not exactly a favorable first impression and didn't get me throwing money at my screen.

Ooof, that could only have been a worse first impression if it had spat the Xbox's disc at you

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Based on what I know of the release schedule, the reason it didn't do as well as it could have (well, as some put it), is that it had the misfortune of being released shortly after Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, so got a little screwed by that.

I've got it for PS3 and it's a dinky game. It's functional, has a few good ideas and there was nothing inherently wrong with it. I liked the complete skill reset though it did make things a bit trivial once I got the hang of combat with the various weapon types. On the whole, not bad, and not worth writing home about.

Maybe Ellen Rose has someone at gunpoint or something. *shrug
Greetings, fellow Outside Xbox/Outside Xtra fan. Topical Reference to How Jane is a Super villain with a Basement we Do Not Talk About.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I mean at least you could actually choose what do, instead of just hit, hit harder, and block for 60+ hours. It was quite satisfying for a while.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Depends how you played it. It’s an action RPG, it actually controls better on a controller than a keyboard and mouse for my money. Makes chaining together the combos a lot more intuitive and the QTEs less likely to break something.