Kingdoms of Amalur Sells 330,000 Copies

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hal10k said:
I'm not privy to the particulars of Reckoning's development, but it isn't wise to assume that all $60 of a game's asking price go back to the publisher. The stores take a portion of the sales so they can turn a profit, the consoles charge a licensing fee, some of the money is going to go back to the developer itself, and seeing as EA's name is on the back of the box, I'm going to assume some of it is going to them as well. Not to mention the miscellaneous, colorful range of various expenses incorporated into the cost of the game.

Of course, digital distribution is cutting down on these expenses, but they're still prevelant enough to warrant mention.
That is an extremely fair assessment. However, those are covered under and included in production costs. You cannot make a "budget" without accounting for your various expenditures. But even if that was not the case, Im certain that the EU markets figures + DD figures, Plus the whittle down profits are MORE than enough to make up for that any other extraneous costs such as having to pay bigger names like Todd McFarlane, R.A.Salvatore, etc.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Good to hear it. It's a great game that deserves great sales. Nice to see a new IP doing well.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
viranimus said:
That is an extremely fair assessment. However, those are covered under and included in production costs. You cannot make a "budget" without accounting for your various expenditures. But even if that was not the case, Im certain that the EU markets figures + DD figures, Plus the whittle down profits are MORE than enough to make up for that any other extraneous costs such as having to pay bigger names like Todd McFarlane, R.A.Salvatore, etc.
Yeah, an initial assessment of 330K sales in a relatively limited market probably means that the game is more than going to make up its development costs. But there's something important about game distribution that you don't seem to be taking into account. Distributors like Gamestop typically don't pass their profits back to the publisher directly. Rather, they just purchase the games from publishers outright- usually for around $30- and sell them back to the consumer for the inflated price. If the game sees enough sales, they'll purchase more copies of the game. If the price of the game drops significantly, it's usually a sign that either the store has stopped purchasing them from the publisher, or the publisher has dropped their asking price significantly as well.

The licensing fees and whatnot aren't built into the overall budget either. Since they're dependent on the amount of units sold, something that can't be determined for the purposes of a contract before sales are tabulated, the costs are literally incorporated into the price of the game itself. So somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-$10 depending on the platform will be taken from that $30 from the distributors.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Sylveria said:
Series is dead. It didn't break 1million sales, EA will scrap the IP and gut the studio.
EA is just acting as co-publisher. The IP & studio are owned by 38 Studios, who probably have more modest expectations for sales.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Happy they consider it successful, but that doesn't sound like a lot of sales tbh, especially for a title like that. And not to "offend" people who like the game, but I think it's perfectly logical the number isn't higher, they set the expectations really, really high and playing the game... well maybe it's just not my type, but I wasn't even marginally impressed.

Considering they were trying something relatively new though, kudos for that and I'm glad they consider it a success, it means they can work on something else that might be good, whether a sequel or a different title.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
See EA, when you sell your stuff via Steam, good things happen. Only if they did with the 'big' titles, BF3 n' ME3.
I'm still playing the game and enjoying it, I hope to see BIG HUGE GAMES again with their next title.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
viranimus said:
This figure of 330k sales represents an estimate of north american sales, not including digital distribution.
And NDP doesn't track all stores. This includes Wal-Mart, last I knew. But:

330k x 60$ per sale (as its yet to go on standard MSRP rate reduction)= 19800000 that is almost 20 million dollars for only a fraction (albeit a sizable fraction like 2/5ths) of the revenue generated.
This is assuming pure profit aside from the following "production" costs.

Average triple A title runs about 10 million dollars to produce.
I've read higher. It also depends on how you're defining "produce," because you're using it for what is generally considered development costs. To take the final product and get it to stores, the distribution cost, is an additional charge.

that being said:

So just shy of 20 million - 10 million on production costs
So pure assumption - incomplete number based on an average and neglecting distribution and promotion = number that doesn't mean much to anyone.

PLUS how much money it will continue to make as it whittles down from 60-20$ over the course of the next year or so
that's not how it works, there.

the game has made its production cost, plus funded a sequel,
IF the production costs are in line with your guess, yes it has. It has not necessarily funded a sequel, however. That's fairly optimistic based on no real info.

Plus all the uncounted figures make up for pure profit.
"pure profit" in the eyes of a kid with a lemonade stand, perhaps.

= triple A publishers like EA claiming piracy is killing the industry and implementing things like project 10$ and online passes is utter bullshit designed to dupe the abundance of gullible gamers into beliving a woe is me story.
Based on what? This game HAD an online pass. They could just as easily attribute its success to such an incentive, and both them and you have equal justification to work with. That is to say: nothing.

Please stop buying into this nonsense and blatant lies.
I'm going to have to give you partial credit. You got a valid answer with some lousy math. Please see me after class.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Valagetti said:
See EA, when you sell your stuff via Steam, good things happen. Only if they did with the 'big' titles, BF3 n' ME3.
I'm still playing the game and enjoying it, I hope to see BIG HUGE GAMES again with their next title.
What does this have to do with Steam? NDP doesn't track digital sales.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
That's nice to know. They really need to make the game more difficult and give it some more interesting lore in any future sequels, but I'm glad they did well.

also, these new captchas are a nice improvement

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I really can't get into this game. I bought it based off a suggestion from a friend and from a GameStop employee. I said I was looking for something with a deep story that I could get immersed in. I just can't get into that game. It doesn't draw me in. The game isn't bad by any means(as far as I've played), but it just doesn't have that "it" factor that makes me want to play it.

That, and I bought UFC Undicputed 3 on the same day, and the career mode has me hooked. That shit is like crack. Fuck you Herb Dean!(He has been the referee in all 4 of my career losses)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Sylveria said:
Series is dead. It didn't break 1million sales, EA will scrap the IP and gut the studio.
EA doesn't own the studio or IP rights so they can't do anything. Get your facts straight before posting blatant bullshit.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
even if ea thinks it flops and refuses to publish Copernicus they can still self publish it as a free to play game.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
It was a smart move to cross-promote the game with rewards in Mass Effect 3 for playing the KOA demo (and vice versa). I wouldn't have looked twice at this game if it didn't give me a motive to play the demo.

Now of course I am playing through ME3 but at least I still got this to go back to after that :)

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
It was a solid game, it deserved it.

I doubt we'll see an end to the franchise just yet. Since that controversy with Mass Effect, i think EA will need more RPG's.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Good I guess. Amalur is okay.
38's attempt to make RPG combat less terrible is even laudable and partially succesful.

They'll go under if they'll go ahead and make the MMO version though.
The amalur setting, tone and visuals puts them in direct competition with WOW and that cannot end well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
"While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series"

As Yahtzee said, it's a massive rehash of Tolkiens ONE take on fantasy (read Extra Punctuation...), and it may be nice, but, seriously? This is not a "new" IP, since it's basically ripping off 99% of the games in it's genre before it. Now, Ashura's Wrath might be considdered an actual new IP (at least in gaming)... Let's hope that does well! :)
It's new IP. It's just not original.
Welcome to the gaming industry.

Mikkel Uldall

Mar 11, 2012
I'm glad to see its doing okay. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and still do to be honest. But then again, I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to Action-RPGS. I basically want fun combat, quests, loot and leveling up. The lore is only important for me if the story really draws me in, and the story in KOA did not. I wanted it to, but it didn't. I play it for the fun combat, leveling up, gear grinding fun, and because some of the visuals are pretty awesome. Nothing about its world is particularly original, and the story failed to grip me, but I hope future RPGs take a good look at KOA's combat and learn from it. I'm looking at you Skyrim.

Hell, mix it with Batman AA and AC's combat, and we've got the perfect battle system right there.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I won't pay $60 for it. If it were half that, I would have bought it already but pricing it at $60 is forcing it to compete with games like Skyrim.