Kingsman the Golden Circle

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
well, we got a new Kingsman movie coming up

Looks like we are going to America but the form of Americana is less swinging 60s and more Wild West. Odd choice

I also think that, with movies like John Wick in existence, that the action will have to be even more over the top while being well shot and composed

Any other thoughts?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
More over the top? Compared to what? John Wick? Or the first Kingsman? Because I gotta say, the first Kingsman's action was already over the top.

Personally I don't understand this "must outdo the first one" mentality, even with action films. JW 2 did this, and I found it to be a fairly dull movie by comparison. It had less of the tension and style as the first one, despite more action scenes and fighting.

So I don't really care if they do "more", I just want them to do it WELL. The majority of what I enjoyed about the first Kingsman didn't have anything to do with the action to be honest. Sure it was enjoyable, but it was more the spirit of the action. It had a funloving, carefree feel to it. They reveled in the insanity of it, and embraced it totally. I mean, any movie that has a colored choreographed, head exploding sequence, set to music, is just silly, and that's fine. I was more involved in the story of the characters, of his effort to become more than what he was, and his inner struggle with the idea of what it meant to be a gentleman and a Kingsman. And the efforts of his mentor to show him that breeding has nothing to do with character.

THAT was what made the Kingsman good to me. If they continue in that vein, I will be totally fine with it.

As to the trailer itself. It looked fine, nothing really grabbed me about it one way or the other.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
Well, I did like JW2's hall of mirror fight as a set piece and the catacombs fight also was well done. I do understand the idea of tension and style though so I suppose all that Kingsman needs to do is keep it's absurd tongue in check tone with it's villains and characters

Still personally don't understand why Wild West style statesmen and not say Prohibition era or Swing era

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
The majority of what I enjoyed about the first Kingsman didn't have anything to do with the action to be honest. Sure it was enjoyable, but it was more the spirit of the action. It had a funloving, carefree feel to it. They reveled in the insanity of it, and embraced it totally. I mean, any movie that has a colored choreographed, head exploding sequence, set to music, is just silly, and that's fine.
/Agree. The first Kingsman went over the top into plain silly, and acknowledged the silly at every step, and that was what made it great. I don't really think there is any way to go more "over the top" then it already was. So all they need to do with this one is deliver more of the same zanyness.

And this trailer looks to be exactly that. Take a bit of the rugged wild west, mix it in with the gentlemanly Kingsman and viola.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

Not really much to go on beyond, "It will have cowboys and action scenes and someone named Harry."

First one had some fun scenes, but not enough to make me care all that much about a sequel.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Much of the appeal of the first was it parodying and turning on head spy movie cliche's. That one scene literally spells it out for you.

I just hope I am less bummed out with this one. People may have found the chaos part funny, but well...lets just say, not every baby was locked in a bathroom for safety.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
Looks like we are going to America but the form of Americana is less swinging 60s and more Wild West. Odd choice

Any other thoughts?
It makes perfect sense to me.
Cowboys and the Wild West are as American as James Bond is British.
The Kingsmen were clearly modeled after Bond (Arthurian namesakes aside) so it only fits that the American Statesmen are modeled after Wild West archetypes or characters.

Nov 28, 2007
I don't have any problems with them bringing in the American stuff, and the Wild West is much more of an American equivalent of British spy stuff, anyways. After all, the CIA and FBI aren't really seen in films as analogous to MI6 (k-e-y, m-o-u-s-e).

Now, I do have a problem that they are bringing back, in my opinion, the one character who should never have been brought back.

I really like Colin Firth, and Harry Hart was a badass. But by bringing him back, it basically undoes the key moment in the last movie that made Eggsy go from wannabe spy, to actual kickass hero. In my opinion. Basically, it would be like bringing back Uncle Ben for Spider-Man, or Bruce Wayne's parents.

ETA:
Saelune said:
Much of the appeal of the first was it parodying and turning on head spy movie cliche's. That one scene literally spells it out for you.

I just hope I am less bummed out with this one. People may have found the chaos part funny, but well...lets just say, not every baby was locked in a bathroom for safety.
...I really want to know who those people are that found the realization of Valentine's plan anything but horrifying, because I want to know who to avoid. Just because the movie was a parody doesn't mean the threat wasn't serious.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
thebobmaster said:
...I really want to know who those people are that found the realization of Valentine's plan anything but horrifying, because I want to know who to avoid. Just because the movie was a parody doesn't mean the threat wasn't serious.
Here is the thing. I don't believe Valentine is wrong about global warming. I think the hard truth about global warming is that the planet is overpopulated.

However, what makes Valentine a villain is that he wanted to shelter the elite people and commit genocide on the economically disadvantaged.

Global warming issue is a lot more complex than just acknowledging that it exists.

EDIT: On topic: I liked this trailer. This is one sequel I have been looking forward to since I first saw Kingsman.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
thebobmaster said:
Here is the thing. I don't believe Valentine is wrong about global warming. I think the hard truth about global warming is that the planet is overpopulated.

However, what makes Valentine a villain is that he wanted to shelter the elite people and commit genocide on the economically disadvantaged.

Global warming issue is a lot more complex than just acknowledging that it exists.

EDIT: On topic: I liked this trailer. This is one sequel I have been looking forward to since I first saw Kingsman.
The problem I and seemingly bobmaster have, is if you really think of the conseuences of making literally everyone in the world go blood thirsty mad...well, Sandyhook will look like a fun romp.

We saw the main guy's mother try to brutally murder her baby, but only because the main guy told her to put the baby in a safe place before she was affected did the baby survive. My guess is, realistically...most babies are dead after that.

And dead kids always upsets me.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well I'm certainly excited. Kingsman turned out so good it's among my favorite movies ever, and the trailer seems to imply the sequel will be the good kind of sequel. Jeff Bridges, Channing Tatum and especially Pedro Pascal (who's left out of the credits, but damn well should be there), aka Oberyn Martell and Javier Pe?a, are all great screen presences. And this trailer is really how trailers should be: giving you snippets of what you get to see to get you excited while leaving the plot completely vague.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Colin Firth is back as Harry Hart, therefore I am all over it like shit on velcro. Harry was my favourite character in the first film, and Colin Firth is my favourite actor. I unashamedly fangirled so hard at the trailer.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
*shrug*

Not really much to go on beyond, "It will have cowboys and action scenes and someone named Harry."

First one had some fun scenes, but not enough to make me care all that much about a sequel.
The first one could have happily ended without a sequel.
But I'm not complaining, quite enjoyed it, though like you it didn't blow me away or anything.