Knack Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Knack Review

Generic and repetitive, Knack doesn?t offer anything all that exciting.

Read Full Article

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
WMDogma said:
Knack throws you right into the middle of a conflict between a technologically advanced human civilization, complete with robots, airships, and machine guns...
Gotta say, machine guns are kind of an anticlimactic end to that list. Were they at least laser machine guns?

It looks very pretty, too bad the gameplay doesn't hold up.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
It's a shame that Knack is turning out to not be so great. I liked the look of it but a game needs more than that.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Awww, shame but expected. It's traditional for a lacklustre, lazy platformer to be hyped up on the launch line up. And by Jove, it's traditional for me to buy it. It will go proudly next to komeo, fuzing frenzy, cel damage, blue stinger and... Er... Can't remember what I got on the other launches. I'm old and we're now talking 20 years ago.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's Kameo all over again.

I think everybody saw this coming though. The only thing this game ever seemed to be about in previews was 'Look, PARTICLES!!!'

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The only problem is devs don't really have the Knack for making next-gen games yet.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
hazabaza1 said:
The only problem is devs don't really have the Knack for making next-gen games yet.
You have won this thread, sir, with that terrible, horrible pun.

I personally liked the first hour of knack, but you almost have to throwaway the idea that it is "next gen". You can have fun with Knack, but only if you imagine it's 1996.

Greg

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Shame. It looked like a really interesting concept too.

Not going to lie I had some very heavy feels of the PS2 era where Spyro and Crash ruled they systems.

But alas, if they didn't put in effort that's what it's gotta be.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's a launch title, they won't start with much revolutionary apart from visuals, like any other console launch. That said, Killzone looks good though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, this is a massive disappointment. ;___;

(I wasn't planning on getting a PS4, but I feel affinity to the game anyways. I can't imagine why.)

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
WMDogma said:
Knack throws you right into the middle of a conflict between a technologically advanced human civilization, complete with robots, airships, and machine guns...
Gotta say, machine guns are kind of an anticlimactic end to that list. Were they at least laser machine guns?

It looks very pretty, too bad the gameplay doesn't hold up.
Judging from the demo, machine guns that shoot purple goo (I guess it's jelly-like plasma or something like that).

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I just remember watching the announcement at the PS4 unveiling and being completely unimpressed by...whatever it was I saw. But grass was there, I'm pretty sure. And then I forgot about that too.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Casual Shinji said:

I think everybody saw this coming though. The only thing this game ever seemed to be about in previews was 'Look, PARTICLES!!!'
Wait...is Kameo considered a bad game generally?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Ugn, I am feeling the lack of Watch Dogs even more painfully now. There is nothing interesting for me on either console until next summer, darn it!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
piinyouri said:
Casual Shinji said:

No, it scored favorably on metacritic with a 79 but being a launch title, it was hyped to the point where this almost seems like a lackluster score. Kameo's actual problem was being completely forgotten by everyone, nobody bought a 360 to play "kid games" after all.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I think the big problem with this game is that you have knack, an interest concept for a main character with this incredible ability to grow and shape-shift himself by gathering bits and pieces.

From what I've seen, it looks like this "feature" is entirely aesthetic, and in no way actually integrated into gameplay. Given that reviews thus far don't even really mention it, in fact "not groundbreaking" was mentioned, it seems that impression is true.

Such a shame, since a shape-shifting character offers such a deep selections of things you could potentially do with the character, and this looks like a generic beat-em-up with occasional platforming.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Right Hook said:
piinyouri said:
Casual Shinji said:

No, it scored favorably on metacritic with a 79 but being a launch title, it was hyped to the point where this almost seems like a lackluster score. Kameo's actual problem was being completely forgotten by everyone, nobody bought a 360 to play "kid games" after all.
Awww, shame that. :(
I can see how if at the time it's hype was so large that it would disappoint a lot of people, but luckily I got to play it years after the fact it was a very enjoyable little game I felt.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Innegativeion said:
I think the big problem with this game is that you have knack, an interest concept for a main character with this incredible ability to grow and shape-shift himself by gathering bits and pieces.

From what I've seen, it looks like this "feature" is entirely aesthetic, and in no way actually integrated into gameplay. Given that reviews thus far don't even really mention it, in fact "not groundbreaking" was mentioned, it seems that impression is true.

Such a shame, since a shape-shifting character offers such a deep selections of things you could potentially do with the character, and this looks like a generic beat-em-up with occasional platforming.
It is integrated into gameplay though, I surmise all the reviewers were too bad at the game to find out however lol, because the blocks also are health regen. If you do well enough to not get damaged too much you'd collect blocks to grow larger, doing more damage and having more health.

Its also used to mix up levels, including ones where Knack is giant and smashing up buildings and tanks, as well as different kinds of blocks such as ice ones that melt in the sun but not in the shade.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Okay so...

I surmise all the reviewers were too bad at the game to find out however lol
or perhaps I shall throw caution to the wind and invoke occam's razor: they didn't find it nearly as well integrated as you

seditary said:
If you do well enough to not get damaged too much you'd collect blocks to grow larger, doing more damage and having more health.
This is ENTIRELY aesthetic, as I said. There's effectively no difference between that and having just plain old powerups. Sure, maybe it's a little more visually interesting, but Knack as a shapeshifting robot could've been so much more.

Its also used to mix up levels, including ones where Knack is giant and smashing up buildings and tanks
Once again, this is not gameplay mechanics. Just aesthetics. Effectively no difference between a giant Knack smashing tanks and a little Knack smashing orcs. Just a different paint job.

as well as different kinds of blocks such as ice ones that melt in the sun but not in the shade.
Now this IS a gameplay mechanic, but it still doesn't seem nearly to meet the potential Knack could've had. We've seen mechanics like this a thousand times before.

It just seems the designers didn't take full advantage of the creative material they had to work with.