Know Any Good Books?

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
So, I recently (Just today) signed up for a 14-day free trial on Audible, and can download one free audio book to keep. So, a suggestion for a good book would be nice.

I'm looking for something more sci-fi or fiction, or maybe fantasy. So, any ideas?

EDIT: Thanks, guys. I'll make a choice based on the books you recommended.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Do they have The Name of the Wind?

Ok, I just checked and yes they do. So that's my recommendation.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Game of Thrones narrated by Roy Dotrice. Mmmm.... Made me love the series so much more. Old English theatre actor, has an individual voice for every character.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This book doesn't fall under what you're looking for, but any chance I have to plug this book I'm going to take.

Pest Control by Bill Fitzhugh. It's an action comedy book that's really well written, has great characters and is just plain fun.

I suggest it to anyone I can.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Aidinthel said:
Do they have The Name of the Wind?

Ok, I just checked and yes they do. So that's my recommendation.
Seconded. I loved The Name of the Wind. It's an amazing book.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
The Gunslinger. It's book one in a great series called The Dark Tower and it manages to be both Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Mogworld was cool and it was written by Yahtzee. It was pretty good but i would have thought there would be more swearing.

MixedWithMadness

Oct 16, 2011
The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings.
Great fantasy and they even has some time traveling in it and all to fuck around with a bastard ^^*

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
For non-fiction: Anything by Carl Sagan. {"Pale Blue Dot" read by himself is great for example}

For Fiction: Do they have Lovecraft, i liked that, when i was younger.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Jim Butcher's Storm Front is quite good (urban fantasy). And there are sample audio book chapter [http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/storm-front-audiobook-by-jim-butcher.html].

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
I would go with either Game of Thrones or Dune which have already been recommended; or I would also suggest metro 2033.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Anything by Brandon Sanderson. If it's just one book, I'd do Elantris as it's his signature work and a standalone volume. Don't go with Game of Thrones or Dune as those are all multi volume, and GOT really isn't all that great after the second book. Sanderson is well on his way to becoming the best contemporary fantasy writer alive today, and Elantris is a landmark in Fantasy writing, as well as in popular fiction.

hensethe1

Feb 26, 2011
Dan Brown Deception Point

Not fantasy, not really sci-fi. But hectic conspiracy action deliciousness. Truly is amazing and it makes you bite your nails thru atleast half

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
World War Z is a really good zombie book and The Strain is a really good Vampire book. Sorry I can't be more help, but most of the books I read are either Graphic Novels (Which can't really translate into audiobooks) and/or factual History type stuff.