Know Your Gaming Roots

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Samus got the most important studios.
There are others, but RIP.

Finally a good piece again.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I really enjoyed the read. There is some great history contained in a very young industry.

I just wish he'd included Sierra, Bitmap Brothers and Bullfrog.

They had a lot to do with my growing up.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
I am glad to be somewhat familiar with the overall history of the gaming industry but there's so many great companies that will be forgotten in due time. Luckily posts like this share the knowledge a bit.

It's actually funny that this post made me think of the old times when i was a kid and not even a proper gamer that how golden image i have of that time period. When there were numerous things to try and explore for game developers and infinite ways to get successfull and and fail. Nowadays it just seems more organised, and thats kinda sad.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Alas, I miss good ol' Westwood and 3DO, they knew how to make proper solid RTS games (and 3DO RPG's as well). Still plenty of great studios going strong though, Naughty dog, Bethesda, Insomniac and Rockstar for instance, so it's not all misery.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
Remembering old development companies is well and good to a point; but I think it's important that many great developers started as hobbyists, not initially under the umbrella of a vast game-making company. Games built by a couple guys or just one person, what would today be an impossible feat, during the infancy of electronic entertainment. That's were the roots of gaming start: not with large studios and budgets and publishers, but with creative individuals who STARTED those companies.

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
Holy crap am I old?! Thanks Shamus for bringing this to my attention... not that the gray hair would have indicated that either.

You want old-school though? Where's Brøderbund (Galactic Empire, Prince of Persia and Myst), Trilobyte (7th Guest - the very first PC-CD ROM game and 11th Hour), Delphine Software (Another World, Flashback), Shiny Entertainment (Earthworm Jim I & II, MDK) Bullfrog (Populous, "Theme" Games) or the varied history of Sega would also have made an interesting read as well.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
It's so good to know other old fogies remember these companies. Those crazy teenagers don't know what they missed.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Fensfield said:
GothmogII said:
Umm...Maxis didn't die, the Sims 3? Spore? They're an EA subsidiary now, but they weren't wholly absorbed into EA, and Will Wright is still a pretty influential figure in gaming.
Oh? I know EA now own the SIM brand, but, you never see the Maxis logo anymore - and they don't seem to be into making simulators any more, really. It's no longer 'Right, what shall we simulate next?' and more 'How can we keep making money off simulating simulated people's lives into perpetuity?'
Not to mention Will Wright left to form the stupid fun club.

I was about to say that Shamus forgot the recently departed "Ensemble Studios" or "Totaly Games" of TIE Fighter fame, but there wouldnt be much to write about with them. Good article Mr Experienced Points, and thanks for remembering Microprose, Im going to go reinstall Call To Power now

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Concerning Activision, two quotes come to mind.

Dear old Friedrich Nietzsche, font of quotable knowledge: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."

And more recently, Harvey Dent (Arron Eckhart) in the Dark Knight: "You die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain."

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
When i first read the title i thought it was "Know your gaming robots" so i was like :D
Then i re-read the title and realized its actually gaming roots not robots so i was like :(
After reading the article and finding out that Activision were good once i was like :O

OT: Great article i liked it, May i suggest making it into a series of articles telling the tales of other lost companies and developers we once knew and loved.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
DaxStrife said:
Shamus Young said:
Low on cash after the lawsuit, they were bought up by an investment group run by... guess who. They filed chapter 11, renamed themselves again, restructured the company, moved the company, and then began buying up other companies.
The description there brings to mind the image of a parasitic organism (Kotick in this case) finding a wounded animal, infecting it, and then using the poor creature to spread itself to others.
Tell me I'm not the only one thinking this.
So, Kotick is a Xenomorph?

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Micropose and Looking Glass (remember, System Shock fanboy here)... Ahhh, those were the days. I have fond memories of Maxis and ID Software (SimCity and Doom respectively) as well.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Good read. Funny thing is that I own almost every game mentioned in their original state. I have like three copies of Master of Orion, including the release that came on floppies and had copy-protection of asking you names of starships (which you could only get from the manual (which of course I saved!)).

Anyway, I miss LGS for Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri almost as much as I miss them for System Shock and Thief. TN:SFC was another great "thinking-man's shooter." I'm not gonna do a review of it, but suffice to say that it was a squad-based tactical FPS in the future on planets/moons that were most definitely not Earth. The game had something ridiculous like 30 or 40 missions, customizable loadouts for each of your squad member's suits, different types of suits for different roles/advantages...Hang on, it's starting to sound like a single-player Tribes!

But really, Westwood and Microprose are probably my top missed developers. Glad that you were able to mention them in here.

I'm also of the belief that Interplay will come back with MDK3 and a new Earthworm Jim, and once those go viral, they finish the Fallout MMO and Descent 4. Yeah, one can hope.

Origin's a special case for me because of Wing Commander 3 and 4, probably the best integration of Cinematics into a game I've ever seen...