Koei Accidentally Published the Wrong Game

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think it's just kind of a really funny blunder. If I bought one of the affected copies I'd probably just laugh it off due to "can you believe this shit?" and call it a day.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This reminds me of that time when my dad bought "Lord of the Rings 3" from a chinese DVD salesman BEFORE it actually came out...........

Unsurprisingly, it was some strange movie....starring Tom Cruise.

WTF I don't even ... =_=

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
The funny thing was that VII was better than VIII. I would know - I played both on the PC. To be honest they were pretty similar but VII felt more fluid and fun than VIII to me.

But imagine people who loved VIII but hated VII bought it to relive some fond memories..only to find out it was VII. Their expression must be priceless haha.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Scars Unseen said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Well according to the internet and Xplay Koei just ships the same Dynasty Warriors,Samurai Warrios,Dynasty Gundman and Romance of the Three Kingdoms over and over you can't tell them apart just like with every EA sports game.
Hey! That's not a fair comparison at all!

at least EA changes the roster each year...
well Koei games they do add new things. EA hasn't added anything new to Madden since 05 and if you want a new updated rooster why not make that DLC. Keep the same game but buy the DLC for like 5 bucks instead spending 60 on the same game again.
You have NO idea how sports titles or DLC work at all, do you? Besides... the problem with making one game with loads of DLC is... what about those who only want NFL 2012, and don't want 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, and '11 as well? Furthermore, EA reinvents the engine behind each game every year, graphically and mechanically. Just because the end result is the same doesn't mean the games themselves are.

Furthermore, the reason they don't change the game between releases is because they don't want to require players to reacquaint themselves with the controls: Stick with what works.

They don't make additional years DLC not only because of my aforementioned reason, but also to keep players on the same page: As comical as having the 2006 Bengals go up against the 2012 Patriots might be, it's a temporal catastrophe!

You're trying to force reality-grounded sports games that are an adaption of a different game and its genre conventions to conform to the conventions of fantastic games that are built entirely for their own medium.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Scow2 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Scars Unseen said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Well according to the internet and Xplay Koei just ships the same Dynasty Warriors,Samurai Warrios,Dynasty Gundman and Romance of the Three Kingdoms over and over you can't tell them apart just like with every EA sports game.

well Koei games they do add new things. EA hasn't added anything new to Madden since 05 and if you want a new updated rooster why not make that DLC. Keep the same game but buy the DLC for like 5 bucks instead spending 60 on the same game again.
You have NO idea how sports titles or DLC work at all, do you? Besides... the problem with making one game with loads of DLC is... what about those who only want NFL 2012, and don't want 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, and '11 as well? Furthermore, EA reinvents the engine behind each game every year, graphically and mechanically. Just because the end result is the same doesn't mean the games themselves are.

Furthermore, the reason they don't change the game between releases is because they don't want to require players to reacquaint themselves with the controls: Stick with what works.

They don't make additional years DLC not only because of my aforementioned reason, but also to keep players on the same page: As comical as having the 2006 Bengals go up against the 2012 Patriots might be, it's a temporal catastrophe!

You're trying to force reality-grounded sports games that are an adaption of a different game and its genre conventions to conform to the conventions of fantastic games that are built entirely for their own medium.
I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've heard that (dated info mind you) that EA actually had a HUGE paperwork process for implementing new features, because they didn't want to change any code. That way they could just update the new stats and ship it. I think I heard a few years ago (2010 maybe?) that they did end up reworking a lot of the game. I dunno, I don't play them. Still, DLC would have been a much better form of delivery than what has been done in the past.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Signa said:
Scow2 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Scars Unseen said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:

I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've heard that (dated info mind you) that EA actually had a HUGE paperwork process for implementing new features, because they didn't want to change any code. That way they could just update the new stats and ship it. I think I heard a few years ago (2010 maybe?) that they did end up reworking a lot of the game. I dunno, I don't play them. Still, DLC would have been a much better form of delivery than what has been done in the past.
DLC's only good for those who bought the game that it originally came for. If I want Madden 2012 (I don't, because my old Blitz 2000 for my N64 gives me all the virtual football fun I need: I heard the Blitz series lost the NFL endorsement but still makes games for non-dinosaur consoles, but I can't find them.), I want to buy Madden 2012, not go out and buy Madden 2005 and have to then spend EXTRA on the 2012 Roster, find a way to implement it, and hope it doesn't have matches/seasons that can't decide which year they want to take place in.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Scow2 said:
Signa said:
Scow2 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Scars Unseen said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:

DLC's only good for those who bought the game that it originally came for. If I want Madden 2012 (I don't, because my old Blitz 2000 for my N64 gives me all the virtual football fun I need: I heard the Blitz series lost the NFL endorsement but still makes games for non-dinosaur consoles, but I can't find them.), I want to buy Madden 2012, not go out and buy Madden 2005 and have to then spend EXTRA on the 2012 Roster, find a way to implement it, and hope it doesn't have matches/seasons that can't decide which year they want to take place in.
We're getting a little off-topic here, but your image of what we are discussing here seems off. The idea that guy you originally quoted and I share involves building a base game (let's say Madden 2013). Once the next iteration comes along (Madden 2014), instead of building a whole new game from scratch, you just let the owners of the original base game download a spreadsheet with the new player stats. Nothing from the base game changes mechanics or features wise, but you get all the new stats that buying a whole new game would offer.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say about playing dudes from the future or past. It sounds like you would be against offering more simulation options to players. I certainly would be interested if I owned a sports game to know what it thinks about the current top team and how it would fair against an older, but more skilled team that may not have had a glamorous record during its season.

EDIT: ok, maybe you're not that far off from what I'm talking about, but you wouldn't buy "Madden 05" you'd just buy "madden" as it was current the year it was made. It could include stats from multiple years up to that point, but you'd just be buying a base game. THEN if you wanted to play 2012 games, you'd buy the 2012 stats from the DLC. You'd have control over what stats you wanted attached to your game. Of course that's the ideal. We can never hope to see EA doing something that practical. Instead it's what, $60 per year for a spreadsheet?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
The old saying, "They don't make things like they used to.", definately rings true here. Just yesturday I saw the largest newspaper in town misspell adrenaline on the front page! And now this? Its actually pretty sickening to watch.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I don't understand how this is even possible.
It's like their incompetence defies physics.