Koji Igarashi Kickstarter Campaign For Bloodstained Funded In Six Hours

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Exploding Kittens did the social media achievements first.

I Great Meta way of running a Kickstarter.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well I never actually give my money to kickstarters but when the product is complete I'll happily buy it. I love his work and I love those character designs. Looking forward to seeing what comes from this.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Igarashi is a god and the character designs are great and I love these kinds of games but I can't give the kickstarter any money since they have no in game art or screenshots or footage or anything. Just some concept pictures. They're at least up front about that though but considering this isn't a kickstarter to fund the full development of the game, I'd expect them to be able to show more than this.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
...Well, this was the first Kickstarter I actually got in to. So. Congrats on that, Koji, you beautiful bastard you.

Female protagonist? Castlevania? Original creator? Allow me to cream my metaphorical panties and swoon at the sheer prospect and/or scandal of such a thing occurring.

Just...you know...don't hire a CM with a D in their name and we're golden.

Physical editions. All of the physical editions.

Digital can suck on the business end of a wood chipper.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
I've been saying for years that Konami should just make 2D Castlevania games for console instead of just handhelds. Now it looks like I don't need Konami anymore. Probably for the best given their sudden weird implosion.
though you should temper your expectations, as the game won't be a 2D game, but a 2.5D game running on UE4.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Baresark said:
Damn, that is awesome. It's sick how these somewhat legendary creators have to go to Kickstarter to get funded when they are only trying to make new versions of the types of games we all love. Capcom can't bring itself to do anything besides re-release the same Megaman games again and again. The creator had to go to Kickstart to do that. Symphony of the Night is considered one of the best, if not the best Castlevania (and metroidvania games) ever made, yet they have to crowdfund a game that fans have been clamoring for. It's crazy. Sometimes I hate Kickstarter, but at times like this, I love it.
It's not quite so cut and dry this time around. Bloodstained has publisher backing, but Kickstarter is being used to irk out the last bit and/or prove that folks still want this kind of game.

What made you turn to Kickstarter for your next game?

The biggest reason is that we couldn?t find a publisher to fully support the title as-is. There were several bigger publishers that really liked the pitch and the game, but in the end, perhaps they didn?t feel it was a popular enough genre, or that it wasn't viable for today's current gaming market. Fortunately, we found some investment that would allow us to get close to the budget we need to make the core game, but even then, the condition of this funding was to first prove the desire for the game I'd drawn out. Not only is Kickstarter what will allow me to do this, but it will also potentially allow us to add a lot more content and some really creative things if we manage to surpass the bare minimum goal.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah damn it. I promised myself I wouldn't invest anymore into Kick Starter games until some of them that I have money tied into actually come out, but this is really tempting. I still regard Symphony of the Night as one of my all time favorite games.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
-David Hayter in the game: FUNDED

*sigh*... here are my $60 Igarashi.

For that sick Konami burn, you deserve it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
"I'll grant you that it's highly unlikely to happen, but I don't think system power is a huge concern when talking about a 2D platforming game. The engine issue is more of a concern, but I highly doubt that any current system would have problems unless the game was a horrible unoptimized mess."

Or we can simplify matters by referencing this paragraph THAT WAS ON THE KICKSTARTER PAGE:

"WHAT ABOUT NINTENDO?

Our budget left us with two options: Build the biggest, most beautiful game we can, or make sure it runs everywhere from the start. As things stand today, we can't afford to create the two separate versions of this game that would be necessary to make it run on every console. That said, we've heard legends about a remarkable treasure hidden in the castle basement..."

There, they're not leaving it out of the realm of possibility. You can't make SIX ENTRIES in the series on Nintendo handhelds and not pay the guys some kinda lip service. Plus considering how UE4 has an Android version, I doubt it'd cost THAT much to modify it to run on the Wii U.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Call me jaded but at $28 for the base game and $60 for the backer only content, it looks to me like the rewards are about the same price as what the game's gonna be at launch. If I'm gonna gamble, I'd expect the potential payoff to be at least a discount over release.

Also, purely on personal interest: Hero-U by the creators of Quest For Glory is back on kickstarter after a second round. It could really use some press after getting absolutely none on the first round. QFG was by far the best one of the Sierra stable series and I don't understand why the Space Quest and LSL games were the ones to get the press.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Huh. Now that he mentions it, there hasn't been a real Castlevania game since Order of Ecclesia. Lords of Shadow kind of fucked the continuity. New Metroidvania? Real Metroidvania?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY SOUL!