Kojima: Next Metal Gear is Like Pokémon

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Does anyone else think that Kojima is trying too hard to make the MGS games into some new, revolutionary, blockbustery games? And that every time he tries to do that, most people who want to play a game for the GAME are disappointed?

Perhaps if he cut back on the cinematic cutscenes...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Wishing this game would get a PS2 port, I don't have a psp.

P.S. Thanks

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
In some ways it sounds more like Fire Emblem than Pokemon. Although it also sounds like Pikman which is just downright odd.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Whenever this guy talks anymore, I wonder why he hasn't been committed yet, or at the very least laughed out of the industry.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Well, Kojima's off his meds again... who put him near press?

I look forward to the reviews which will hopefully explain what the f--k he's talking about.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Metal Gear! Gotta choke 'em all!

So, wait, because it's a strategy game, Kojima says its like Pokemon? There's no enemy collecting or random encounters in tall grass, it's a stealth game with strategy. Doesn't sound much different from any other solid stealth game to me, since you usually need strategy in those to succeed.

Will it come in two versions? Solid Black or Naked White?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
"It's part MGS, part Monster Hunter and part Pokemon - and it's even got a bit of SimCity to it." Kojima feels Peace Walker is "like no game before."
Move over Molyneux. You've met your match when it comes to overhype.

Make room for the duck!

(BTW, Kojima isn't just game designer but also part messiah and part top chef!)

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Julianking93 said:
Hm. Well I'm glad he's talking about Peace Walker and not Rising.
You mean you don't like the whole pokemon aspect to MGS and would rather it stay out of the big game Rising?, well I've got news for you Julian...

Raiden is Pikachu!

DU DU DUNNNN!

On topic, I will be buying a second hand PSP just for this game, so whatever.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Kojima's not far off. When I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago I saw a playable demo of Peace Walker with Snake and a couple others fighting a dragon.

A DRAGON.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That sounds like they trying to push too much into this game... I have a feeling that this isn't going to work.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
I have the utmost respect for Kojima. He is loud, the exact right amount of crazy, and most of all he is consistent. Nobody tells him what to do. Once he gets an idea in his head he plays it out all the way TO COMPLETION, for good or for bad.

As for this thread, this is one of the funniest Escapist threads I've read in a while. It is great to see all the MGS fans. You guys are great.

Finally, as for the game:
"Colonel! How do I unlock the super-soldiers to fight the giant enemy crab Metal Gear in front of me?"
--"Have you tried looking on the back of the optical disk?"
"There are no disks in my inventory, you don't mean-"
--"SNAKE! REMOVE THE DISK FROM YOUR PSP, NOW!"

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Hey, it kind of fits since there are so many animals in the series!

My starting team would be:

1)Solid Snake
2)Liquid Ocelot
3)Vulcan Raven
5)Sniper Wolf
5)Psycho Mantis

I chose you Psycho Mantis! Mantis uses Confuse! It's super effective!

No but kidding aside, the game seems to have elements of randomly encountering soldiers and training your own squad with exchangable characters as a squad for battle. Seems only logical that he'd liken it to Pokemon, not because it's necessarily the best match, but because it's the most popular game with similar elements.

hansari said:
Tom Goldman said:
"It's part MGS, part Monster Hunter and part Pokemon - and it's even got a bit of SimCity to it." Kojima feels Peace Walker is "like no game before."
Move over Molyneux. You've met your match when it comes to overhype.
Why? He doesn't even say it's good. He just says it's a new mix of gameplay types.

The line that lays the hype thick was "nearly everything you can do with a portable system is in this game." but even that pales in comparison to Molyneux's usual vocabulary when describing his games (like when he likened his virtual, scripted interaction with Milo as one of the technological breakthroughs of civilization.)

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
A wild russian terroist appears!
Balaclava wearing spy i choose you!
Balaclava wearing spy used silenced 9mm.
Its super effective!
Russian terroist faints.

videocrazy

Dec 17, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
The comparison is made because you capture enemy soldiers with an item to add them to your army. You want to catch all the enemy soldiers you can to make them your own. Their skills will add to your army by way of unlocking new gear/upgrades, Metal Gear parts, etc.
I am guessing on harder difficulties, the dudes you capture will be better than the ones you find on easier difficulties.

Hey, admittedly I don't know much about Peace Walker, but I think I heard about that. Anyways, I've played Portable Ops, also on the PSP, and this system sounds identical to the one on there.

dbungus2000

Apr 12, 2010
whoa, this thread title scared me for a second, I thought this was going to be about his new console game, the Raiden one or that secret game he is making that is supposed to be controversial, becoming all Pokemony.