Kojima Productions' First Game is Death Stranding, Starring Norman Reedus

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kojima Productions' First Game is Death Stranding, Starring Norman Reedus

By far one of the weirdest trailers at E3 was Death Stranding, featuring naked Norman Reedus.

I'm sure by this point I don't need to remind you about Silent Hills, the Kojima/del Toro/Reedus survival horror title that was unceremoniously canned by publisher Konami. If you were saddened by this, you're in for a big treat: Hideo Kojima has announced that his new, independent Kojima Productions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165531-Kojima-Productions-May-Create-More-Than-Just-Games] studio's first new title will be a survival horror game staring none other than Norman Reedus. It doesn't have del Toro's name attached to it but as our buddy Meatloaf always said, two outta three ain't bad.

The game is called Death Stranding, and you can check out its incredibly weird debut trailer above. I could explain what happens in the trailer but... well... uhhh. Perhaps its best if you just check it out yourself?

The game will be released on the PS4 first as part of Kojima's partnership with Sony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165506-Sony-Officially-Partners-With-Kojima], but may make its way to the PC in the future. We've no idea on when it will be released but we're assuming that it's still fairly early on in production at the moment.

[gallery=6288]

Additionally, following the press conference, Reedus Instagramed the following picture of Kojima:

[instagram=BGnrvZIMcOS]

It seems the pairs sentiments on Kojima's former employer are quite clear...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If I was the type to change avatars, Id make that my new one.

Also good job doing the obvious good idea. I just hope people don't get overly hyped, since it might not be as visually amazing as PT. But we will see.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
I have no idea what was going on there at all.

Kojima is definitely still Kojima.

Pretty damn sure I'm in.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
From the trailer, I?ll make a list of ?important? things that might hint at something.

1) Beach full of dead sea life, which is actually called a stranding.

2) The abundant use of oil, be it the handprints in the sand filling up, Norma?s hands covered, and the baby handprints going off him.

3) Norman being naked, the baby itself which was connected to his belly, and the giant cross scar on his belly which where the baby was connected.

4) The five flying ?people?, and their strange presence overall. Most likely ignorable, but I noticed the middle flying person-thing actually had its arms crossed over its chest.

5) The handcuffs as well as that strangle necklace Norman had on him.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That picture of Kojima got a laugh out of me.

Solid fucking gold. XD

Calling it a weird trailer would be an understatement, but yeah, if anything it got me curious to see what Kojima has planned.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
I want that mug. They'd make like 3x as much money if they put that mug in a collectors edition of the game.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Why does Hideo Kajima want Norman Reedus with a fetus? He has done this twice now.

I am concerned about this.

Also the game is coming to PC so YAY!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A bizarre game made by a successful man who wants to make his former bosses bleed...

I'm in.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
So the first thing Kojima does upon being freed from the clutches of Konami is "mpreg Norman Reedus". And Sony is going with this.

o7

Godspeed Hideo, you magnificent sonnuvabitch.

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
InsanityRequiem said:
From the trailer, I?ll make a list of ?important? things that might hint at something.

1) Beach full of dead sea life, which is actually called a stranding.

2) The abundant use of oil, be it the handprints in the sand filling up, Norma?s hands covered, and the baby handprints going off him.

3) Norman being naked, the baby itself which was connected to his belly, and the giant cross scar on his belly which where the baby was connected.

4) The five flying ?people?, and their strange presence overall. Most likely ignorable, but I noticed the middle flying person-thing actually had its arms crossed over its chest.

5) The handcuffs as well as that strangle necklace Norman had on him.
Eh, we still don't know anything about what the game is going to be like based on the trailer alone though. I think they said that their first project would be an action game but beyond that what do we know about the game itself. Even these facts you've found don't really reveal much, The necklace kind of looks like its made from a number of those military dog tags which indicates that the guy has some sort of military background but then he's got handcuffs which could mean a range of things, most obviously that he's a convict, he might have committed some sort of crime or maybe he's a deserter, it could be linked to whats going on with the stranded sea-life and the oil that's everywhere. Perhaps he objected to something his government had been doing (this at least sounds like something that'd be up Kokima's street).

The baby seems weird though, I'm not sure if we should be taking it literally because of how messed up some settings and characters have been in the MGS series or figuratively because its out of the ordinary . it kind of looks like it was attached to him and I wouldn't put it past Kojima productions to create a character which was male but who had also managed to actually give birth through the power of SCIENCE. The thing with that is that, to me, it feels like an entirely different kind of weirdness to what we've seen before. Most of the other powers or technological enhancements we've seen has made them into something inhuman or supernatural and most of these people, for one reason or another, would stand out from the crowd either due to their abilities or just due to their quirks. This new one, while very out of the ordinary just comes across as too subtle a character quirk in comparison to what we've seen in the past. Alternatively maybe Norman Reedus isn't going to be the main player character and is going to be replaced by a woman once the game kicks in and the intro movie has finished. It's not like They've not led fans along using one character only to replace him with a woman before! (har har)

If taken Figuratively then it could relate to the characters innocence. It's what children are commonly used to represent in games and other media so it's not as though it's unheard of. Maybe he went through with something awful before deserting? Or maybe it relates to the reason he is handcuffed. It could represent his family too, his child specifically or just in general. By the end of the video he's lost whatever it's meant to represent but it's clearly still alive and kicking, waiting to be found again.

Long story short though, this video shows us stuff without actually telling us anything about what the game is going to be about. It's vague and that's left me wanting more information, so it's a good way to get the hype going but it's definitely left me annoyed that we still know nothing concrete about the game right now. A lot of the stuff, after I thought about it, came across as a little bit pretentious. As though it's speaking in riddles to create some mystery around it. It's trying too hard to have this message that can have any number of meanings.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Well, my interest is piqued, to say the least.

The break from Konami seems to have enabled Kojima to take the weirdness up to eleven, color me hyped.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Called it!

I've been saying this whole time that Kojima would be making a horror game in the vein of Silent Hills. Seriously, it would have been stupid if he didn't.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oh Kojima, you crazy guy!

I hope Sony is very sparse with the publisher meddling on this, because I'd be very interested to see what kind of insanity a near unrestrained Kojima can come up with.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Well, I'm both confused and interested in seeing where this game goes and what the hell it's about.

Really, what the heck is going on?

So many interesting games in this E3.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Am I wrong in thinking Norman Reedus looks kinda weird in this trailer? Like his face seems disproportionate to his head?

Anyway, I got nothing from this trailer. Might've been better if they waited until they actually had something to show. This might as wel be somekind of artsy car commercial.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So Lisa died as a result of an Exxon oil spill. She wasn't "shot while pregnant at the time". Interesting.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
All I'm seeing is a bunch of environmental alarmist imagery. Beached whales, dead fish, oil acting and spreading like some kind of creeping virus, and the flying humans seeming to be the cause...