Kojima Productions' First Game is Death Stranding, Starring Norman Reedus

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I am super confused by that trailer, but it being a Hideo game, I'll probably end up buying it regardless.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. Kojima kinda burned me in the past few years, but that might be Konami corporate meddling. I hope this game is the salvaged remains of PT/Silent Hill.

But then again, even though it was a pretty trailer, it was very light on substance. That was kinda disappointing.

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
Who knew letting out your inner child could be so creepy... I'm sure he's grabbed a lot of people's attention, even if just sheer curiosity as to what the heck the game is about after that extremely obscure clip.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm interested more in Norman Reedus, and his involvement in these games. I don't follow him that closely, but from what I've seen, he seems like he's one of those "strange artists", but unlike others like Shia Lebouf, he's able to maintain some semblance of normalcy. But he seems willing to do some really strange projects, since this is the second time he's involved himself in something by Kojima.

I'm not a Kojima fan, and actually find his particular brand of insanity kind of offputting when it comes to games (seriously, Fuck Metal Gear Solid 2). But I appreciate him trying things, and taking risks with the medium.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Saltyk said:
Called it!

I've been saying this whole time that Kojima would be making a horror game in the vein of Silent Hills. Seriously, it would have been stupid if he didn't.
Called it!

I've been saying this whole time that Kojima would be making a horror game where you play as Norman Reedus in a oil soaked beach full of dead sea life, after giving birth to a invisible baby. Seriously, it would have been stupid if he didn't.

(sorry had to XD)

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Well, we all knew he was chuffing barmy, and now that he's showing off his first game from his own company we get to see just how off his fucking bonce he can go. Very, turns out. I'm genuinely not sure if I'm on board the (apparent) male pregnancy train, but fuck it, let's see where it takes us.

I'm intrigued if nothing else.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Remus said:
So Lisa died as a result of an Exxon oil spill. She wasn't "shot while pregnant at the time". Interesting.
Also: Lisa was a whale who had crabs. :3

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
So, I watched the broadcast of the Sony presentation with friends. None of them have played any of Kojima's games or were even remotely aware of who he was. This trailer was the first thing they've seen attributed to him, and their reactions were priceless.

I must say, trying to explain who Kojima is, what he does, and how this isn't terribly unusual for him, was one of the most awkward things I've done. It was an adventure, that's for sure lol.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
I'm not sure... Honestly to me it was a bit pretentious, I dislike that word, and I find it is usually used incorrectly, but for this case it fits perfectly, as the trailer is not particularly ambitious (it's more a tech demo than a game trailer) but it surrounds itself with a lot of "imagery" which may or may not be of any consequence. Moreover a lot of the analysis of it that I've seen online treats the very blunt metaphors as if they were profound realizations, when in reality, 90% of hollywood sci-fi deals with humans and their destructive effect on nature and ultimately themselves. Will it have something to do with inter-dimensional / time travel travel? That's not really all that unique either.

Also, on the tech side, I found the MO-CAP to be very disturbing, there's some strong uncanny valley in this, Reedus's head seems too big for the body, and the body most definitely isn't his body, the expressions are kind of lifelike but engine blurry. and what's with the size of that baby?

I mean I actually would rather read this as a dig to konami for taking away his baby and killing moby dick.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
Am I wrong in thinking Norman Reedus looks kinda weird in this trailer? Like his face seems disproportionate to his head?

Anyway, I got nothing from this trailer. Might've been better if they waited until they actually had something to show. This might as wel be somekind of artsy car commercial.
Yes, but this is Kojima. Therefore, it's utter perfection. What's would normally be confusing, obscure, obtuse, nonsensical, and bereft of anything but blatant imagery is, instead, profound, enlightening, endearing, startling, and filled with imaginative subtlety.

The trailer (likely) told us nothing about the game, but instead presented us with contextless, stark imagery that meant nothing. This leaves us with only one conclusion...

10 out of 10. Game of the century. Perfection personified.

Delcast said:
I'm not sure... Honestly to me it was a bit pretentious
Perhaps just a bit. Not David Cage levels, though. Close, but not quite.